• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
    • First Second Apocalypse
« on: June 04, 2013, 04:59:44 pm »
Quote from: Curethan
What are you crazy cats listening to? 
All time faves?
What music reminds you of TSA and what do you listen to when reading?
I need some new tunes on my iplod.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 04:59:52 pm »
Quote from: Madness
A couple ridiculous points.

I read and reread the series avidly as the books were released. But when the PON trilogy was completed, I ripped through it twice again. In that final completion, I was working at a full serve gas bar and my boss was extremely slack, so I basically did all of that reading sitting in this chair outside the gas hut.

I probably listened to Hold Your Colour (Full Album) by Pendulum a thousand times on repeat rereading the trilogy. I can't even hear the intro-track without being dragged right back into memories of the First Holy War.

Mind you, I didn't know what I was listening to then genre wise - so be warned on that one.

From what I understand otherwise, I'm probably among the pretty common when it comes to a) musical tastes or b) MT directly tied to the PON:

Top ten albums while reading the Second Apocalypse (this title is a bit misleading as what warrants inclusion on this list is often simply what I've been listening to over the years anyways, while happening to be reading Bakker's fiction):

Hold Your Colour - Pendulum
Aenima, Lateralus, 10,000 Days - Tool
Wolfmother [Self-titled] - Wolfmother
Happiness is Not a Fish You Can Catch, Gravity - Our Lady Peace (Yeah, I'm stuck in the 90's. Also, OLP has more connotations in my mind concerning OSC, specifically, his Maps in a Mirror anthology)
Around the Fur - Deftones
Lullabies to Paralyze, Songs for the Deaf - Queens of the Stone
Make Yourself, A Crow Left of the Murder - Incubus

K, that was 12. I also realized two things while writing this. I started listening to albums only 7 or 8 years ago and never looked back. No more individual songs for me.

The other is that really these are just some of my all time favorite albums. I've spent hundreds of hours listening to these and I've spent hundreds of hours reading Bakker's works.

FYI, just a cool, embodied experience if you're into to it: Bakker wrote the majority of Disciple of the Dog listening to 10,000 Days on repeat.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 05:12:38 pm »
Quote from: Ajokli
Currently I'm obsessed with 80's-inspired music. Chromatics, Desire, and Miami Nights 1984

Though, when it comes to reading, silence is a must. Crusades-inspired music is ran through my head through the PoN. A good example of that is March of the Templars.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 05:12:44 pm »
I love Pendulum, but I would never have connected them with PoN, lol.
Cheesy, but there's a few Iron Maiden songs that really put me there in Earwa.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwNgE-l2Xqg

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 05:12:50 pm »
Quote from: dharmakirti
My music tastes are pretty broad and my music collection covers pretty much every genre. 

When I read, I need something that won't distract me and I want something that will help me focus on the material.  I've found that classical music and some opera work really well for me.  I've been listenign to the Minnesota Orchestra's recordings of Beethoven's Symphonies (conducted by Osmo Vanska), which for my money, are some of the best, especially their recording of the 9th Symphony. Vanska also recorded the complete Sibelius Symponies with the Lahti Symphony Orchestra (Finland) which I quite enjoy.

I also listen to a lot of jazz, Matthew Shipp is a recent discovery of mine and I've been listening to his recordings quite a bit.  I really like the double album called Art of the Improviser wich captures a couple of live performances, one is of a trio and the other is Matthew Shipp solo.

One of my all time favorite artists is Diamanda Galas.  She's a classicaly trained pianist and opera singer who specializes in extended vocal technique.  She's very confrontational and is not easy listening but there's no one else like her.  Her work has dealt with some pretty heavy subjects, like AIDS, institutionalization, genocide and exile.  A couple tracks that I would suggest googling: Interlude (Time) and O' Death (both from the album Guilty! Guilty! Guilty!)

Some operas that I've been listening to lately are Einstein on the Beach by Philip Glass, Postcards from Morocco by Dominick Argento, Duke Bluebeard's Castle by Bela Bartok and Parsifal by Richard Wagner.

Other acts that I'm really enjoying right now: (from various genres)
Emperor/Ihsahn - Emperor is the first black metal band that I listened to where I could hear something musical going on (where I just didn't hear really tinny sounding guitar and screeching vocals).  The first Emperor album I listened to was Emperial Live Ceremony and went from that to Prometheus (which I think is one of the best metal albums of all time and Emperor's best album).  Ihsahn's latest solo album, After, is probably his best solo release.  After features guest spots from Norweigan musician Jørgen Munkeby (also of the band Shining)  who provides some completely unexpected saxophone to the album and it sounds amazing.
Opeth - these guys get better and better with every release
Enslaved - great mixture of viking metal and pink floyd-esque psychedelic rock
Lana Del Rey - I heard her described as hip-hop meets Nancy Sinatra and I think it fits.  Good stuff (not GREAT but I'm really liking it)
El-P - Just got his newest, Cancer for the Cure, and really enjoying it.  El-P also colloborated with Matthew Shipp a few years back for the jazz album High Water wich is quite good.
Dälek  - A hip hop act out of New Jersey that has a more "expiremental" production style.  Their production sounds like they are sampling acts like Isis or  My Bloody Valentine; loud, densely layered.  Check out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVhIA-YH-7w
or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrKi8mPR494&feature=related

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 05:12:56 pm »
If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend checking out the video for Lana Del Rey's track "National Anthem" which feature her as Jackie-O and Marilyn Monroe and A$AP Rocky as JFK. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60cvtxwlJr8&feature=plcp

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 05:13:04 pm »
Dude, dharmakirti, thanks for tipping us off about Lana Del Rey. As well as some other exceptional music but I'm definitely going to get lost in this woman's creations for awhile. Cheers.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2013, 05:13:11 pm »
You know, she used to be Tom Waits' babysitter apparently..

Tom's kids, not himself obv :p

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2013, 05:13:18 pm »
Dude, dharmakirti, thanks for tipping us off about Lana Del Rey. As well as some other exceptional music but I'm definitely going to get lost in this woman's creations for awhile. Cheers.

You're welcome.  She's got some excellent videos.  Enjoy.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2013, 05:13:24 pm »
Quote from: Sideris
Clearly what one must listen to while reading Second Apocalypse is Katy Perry.

I keed, I keed.

When it comes to Prince of Nothing, I tend to listen Yoko Kanno's more mournful soundtracks, Portishead, loads of Lisa Gerrard's solo work and Dead Can Dance. For Aspect Emperor, far more LOTR soundtracks because of all the Tolkien nods, the Witcher soundtrack, and Michael McCann for when the sorcery hits the fan.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2013, 05:14:11 pm »
Clearly what one must listen to while reading Second Apocalypse is Katy Perry.

I keed, I keed.

When it comes to Prince of Nothing, I tend to listen Yoko Kanno's more mournful soundtracks, Portishead, loads of Lisa Gerrard's solo work and Dead Can Dance. For Aspect Emperor, far more LOTR soundtracks because of all the Tolkien nods, the Witcher soundtrack, and Michael McCann for when the sorcery hits the fan.

Are you familiar with Azam Ali? She's the singer for VAS and Niyaz.  She's also released a couple solo albums.  I first heard her on Buckethead's "Enter the Chicken", she sang with Serj Tankian on the track "Coma." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kj0rVQoc0k
My personal favorite's of Azam of Ali's is the vocals she provides for composer Shahrokh Yadegari's beautiful "Green Memories" which is (as descirbed on Amazon) "a meditation on the global ecology and it is based on the poetry of the highly acclaimed Iranian poet Forough Farrokhzad."   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhv4ZQITUjc
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 05:16:47 pm by Madness »

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2013, 05:14:18 pm »
I own a pair of her albums, aye. I haven't listened to Buckethead in years.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 05:17:09 pm by Madness »

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2013, 05:17:18 pm »
I recently discovered a couple of synth-pop/electro-goth oriented groups and I am enjoying them.

TRUST - their album TRST came out earlier this year and I just discovered it and am really digging on it. Their sound is electro-goth.  If you like groups like Apoptygma Berzerk, Front 242, Haujobb or VNV Nation then I would suggest checking out TRUST.  My favortie tracks from the album are probably Shoom, Bulbform and Sulk.

Shoom - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Apr_CDvdr34  (it's not an offical video but the song set to footage from Jean Cocteau's Le Sang d'un Poète)

Bulbform - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pqgv65j3uBo

Sulk - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7G5RYaULtw&feature=relmfu

TRUST's drummer, Maya Postepski, also works with the synth-pop group Austra which is also another recent discovery of mine.  I haven't listened to too much Austra, but I think their singer, Katie Stelmanis, is quite good.  She kinda reminds me a little of Florence Welch (but with a better understanding of dynamics), crossed with Zola Jesus.

Beat and the Pulse - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emHAfLWqbnA
Lose It - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LJtMrhb558

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2013, 05:17:33 pm »
Quote from: thirdeye
I am going to get on well with Madness.  My name and avatar should be evidence enough.  Albums in heavy rotation as of late are as follows:

Tool - every day at least once a day - Opiate, Undertow, Aenima, Salival, Lateralus, 10,000 Days
Opeth - Heritage
Storm Corrosion - (Mikael Akerfeldt from Opeth and Steven Wilson from Porcupine Tree)
Steven Wilson - Grace for Drowning
Meshuggah - Koloss
Animals as Leaders - Weightless
Gojira - L'Enfant Sauvage

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2013, 05:17:40 pm »
Quote from: KRST IS
Interestingly, the first time I read through the PON trilogy, the most apt music at the time for me was the soundtrack for Ridley Scott's "Kingdom of Heaven."

I played through that film's songs a thousand times at least.

Now, its always nostalgic whenever I happen upon a song from the soundtrack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHNll6l1ayY&playnext=1&list=PLCE7913EA8A6EE2A6&feature=results_main