• 108 Replies

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 01, 2017, 08:50:45 pm »
Oh, the last one s a mind-blower on Bakker-type level. You'll really enjoy it, best of the three.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

Woden

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 02, 2017, 09:49:30 pm »
27 read this year for now. I'm sure I will achieve my goal of 30. 8)
Know what your slaves believe, and you will always be their master.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 08, 2017, 09:14:25 pm »
Finished Forge of Darkness , by Erikson (24). Redeagl thanks for making me get of my butt and read this. Really good, but you have to like Malazan. Really interesting and explains a lot about the Tiste and how the Warrens were created, love the back stories of books. This is the exact shit Bakkker should do when completing TSA, so fascinating. On to Fall of Light, because I didn't want FoD to end, craving more and more. Of you read Malazan, these and Esselmont's books on the beginning of the Malazan Empire are essential reading.

That said, Erikson summoned his inner Bakker in these books with all the psychological musings, he's just not as good at it. Bakker layers it into the narrative, Erikson dedicated while sections to them. I found myself skimming those parts sometimes.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

Redeagl

• Great Name
  • Pun Master
  • WHAT AM I ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 09, 2017, 02:59:12 pm »
Finished Forge of Darkness , by Erikson (24). Redeagl thanks for making me get of my butt and read this. Really good, but you have to like Malazan. Really interesting and explains a lot about the Tiste and how the Warrens were created, love the back stories of books. This is the exact shit Bakkker should do when completing TSA, so fascinating. On to Fall of Light, because I didn't want FoD to end, craving more and more. Of you read Malazan, these and Esselmont's books on the beginning of the Malazan Empire are essential reading.

That said, Erikson summoned his inner Bakker in these books with all the psychological musings, he's just not as good at it. Bakker layers it into the narrative, Erikson dedicated while sections to them. I found myself skimming those parts sometimes.
Good to hear that you liked it, MSJ. Book 2 is more of the same. It has some really epic scenes though. You will know them when you see read them.
“The thoughts of all men arise from the darkness. If you are the movement of your soul, and the cause of that movement precedes you, then how could you ever call your thoughts your own? How could you be anything other than a slave to the darkness that comes before?”

- Chronicler of the Chroniclers

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 13, 2017, 05:59:46 pm »
Total: 6

Heroes Die by Matthew Stover

Very enjoyable. Its currently up for being voted on for 'how grimdark is it' up on lawrence's blog (I'd say not very, maybe 3 of 5 on my arbitrary scale of idontknowwhatgrimdarkis). Fun read here, with whiffs of Earwa and Dunyain mixed with what amounts to Assassin's Creed type technology. I found it entertaining, if a tad shallow. Still though, without spoilers, I'd say that the ending was very well done, making it all worth the read (sometimes you get hit right in the feels).

One of the other conditions of possibility.

Fenris777

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 18, 2017, 10:23:10 am »
I enjoyed Stover's whole series immensely. Very much worth reading. It gets better and better. It's also pretty goddamn grim, if not grimdark (and I share the disability of not really knowing what that's supposed to mean past the broad strokes).

I finished the second novel in Anthony's Ryan's Blood Song series. Excellent, better than the first. I need to lay my hands on the sequal. Without book three I decided to move along to Morgan's Takehashi Kovacs novels. Altered Carbon was as good as I remembered it and I'm just about finished Broken Angels, which is also great. I'm struggling to recall why I didn't read the whole seried the first time I read Altered Carbon. Probably because the library didn't have them. :)

Woden

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 18, 2017, 02:33:00 pm »
28. Finished - Sword & Citadel of Wolfe (they are truly two books buy I just counted one). I'm going for my 29: The Urth of the New Sun.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 20, 2017, 02:58:43 pm »
Total: 7

The Gap into Conflict: The Real Story

Quick read - but holy shit was it dark. Way darker than I was expecting. Short book, probably a novella by itself, but I'm counting it because I'm low on books ;) .
One of the other conditions of possibility.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 24, 2017, 01:18:35 am »
Finished Fall of Light(25). Same as FoD, great book and interesting in terms of backstory.

On to Babylon's Ashes to get all your up on The Expanse. So, 25 books, I've made my yearly target and gonna keep on plowing through.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 01, 2017, 07:32:59 am »
Finished Babylon's Ashes (26), so all caught up on The Expanse. Pondering what to read next.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 05, 2017, 02:44:01 am »
Finished The Real Story(27) by Donaldson and onto Forbidden Knowledge. I've seen the Gap Cycle recommended and liked by many people around here, so I decided to give it a go. Really liked the first one and can see where the story has a lot of room to grow.

Woden

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 08, 2017, 08:56:57 pm »
Urth finished, my 29 book of the year.
I'm going to read now the books of blood (vols. IV, V and VI) of Barker.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 11, 2017, 09:30:44 am »
Done with Forbidden Knowledge(29), 2nd in the Gap Cycle. Really enjoying these books. This one leaves you on a huge cliffhanger. Luckily, I don't have to wait on the next book to come out. Ahh, the joys of completed series. :)

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 30, 2017, 08:59:20 pm »
Finished The Red Knight(30), by Miles Cameron. I've heard nothing but good stuff about this series. It was a great read. Battles scenes were great areminded me of Abercrombie so the shifting POV's throughout. People on various sites are dying to read the last book which just came out. I can see why. There is room for so much mystery and intrigue that's set up in the 1st book. Moving on to the 2nd one. I would definitely recommend this too anyone. Most fantasy I read is just OK. The Traitor Son Cycle looks to have the potential to be very, very good.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 14, 2017, 09:17:21 pm »
Sorry, Myles Cameron. Deadhouse Landing has been purchased. Will get back to after this book I've been waiting on.