Steven Erikson (The 3.5 million word journey?)

• 198 Replies

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: March 31, 2016, 05:56:28 pm »
I enjoyed HoC. What book are you on now, Wilshire?
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 31, 2016, 06:00:25 pm »
I am on Dust of Dreams. I listen to a lot of them, which makes for about 40 hours of audio, that I listen to at 2x speed so its more like 20 hours of listening.
I'm 3 hours into it and its good enough so far. I'll have several hours in the car driving next week so I might get half way into it by then. We'll see.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 31, 2016, 06:07:47 pm »
Have you read any of Esselmont's companion books? They fill in some of the back stories that you won't get in MBOTF. Yea, I know, Malazan is a big enough series to read already. Dancer's Lament by Esselmont is soon to come out,  and it will explain how they started the Malazan Empire. Very excited for that.

ETA:also, Toll the Hounds was great wasn't it? It was one of my favorites.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 06:09:20 pm by MSJ »
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 31, 2016, 06:20:25 pm »
TTH was amazing.

I havent read any of the Esselmont, and don't really plan to. I have other books/authors/worlds to read :P.
That said, I'm interested in Night of Knives, and Dancer's Lament sounds like it might be worth the read as well so similar reasons.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 03, 2016, 03:25:16 pm »
Dust of Dreams (DoD)
06/01/2016. I was pretty underwhelmed with this one. I felt that there were too many side-plots explored. All build up with not nearly as much crescendo as the preceding books.  Had to slog through it.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #95 on: June 27, 2016, 02:12:05 pm »
Lol - Camlost just told me yesterday that he apparently made it up to or into book #9 and stopped. I admonished him to finish.

Something he brought up though, and I know MSJ has said he's a fan, but what do Erikson readers think of Esslemont's books?
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 27, 2016, 05:07:39 pm »
I've heard, generally, that Esslemont isn't quite as talented as Erikson. I have no first hand experience, and with the 10 tomes of the mainline Malazan, I think I've had enough of that universe for quite some time. Its a spectacular event, but I have not the time to be a devotee of multiple universes, and Malazan would require much the same scrutiny as Second Apocalypse to get all the feels. Had I stumbled upon GotM instead of TDTCB all those years ago, I fear this version of Wilshire wouldn't exist in this place :) . Alas, you're stuck with me.

Dancer's Lament by Esselmont is soon to come out,  and it will explain how they started the Malazan Empire. Very excited for that.

That said, Dancer's Lament might make it onto my list, and if I ever find Night of Knives somewhere, I'll pick it up and read it. I have more interest in the background of the Malazan Empire than I do with figuring out all the happenings of the world at large.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 02:58:50 pm by Wilshire »

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 28, 2016, 02:13:10 am »
Lol - Camlost just told me yesterday that he apparently made it up to or into book #9 and stopped. I admonished him to finish.

Something he brought up though, and I know MSJ has said he's a fan, but what do Erikson readers think of Esslemont's books?

He isn't as good as Erikson. That being said, I still enjoy his writing. Dancer's Lament is by far his best work yet. And if your a fan of Malazan, you have to read this book and the future installments of this series. Absolutely freakin' awesome!

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #98 on: June 28, 2016, 03:28:34 pm »
Its a spectacular event, but I have not the time to be a devotee of multiple universes, and Malazan would require much the same scrutiny as Second Apocalypse to get all the feels. Had I stumbled upon GotM instead of TDTCB all those years ago, I fear this version of Wilshire wouldn't exist in this place :) . Alas, you're stuck with me.

Lol - Malazan Wilshire is a silly person anyways :P.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wic

• The Afflicted Few
  • Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 29, 2016, 07:49:00 am »
He isn't as good as Erikson. That being said, I still enjoy his writing. Dancer's Lament is by far his best work yet. And if your a fan of Malazan, you have to read this book and the future installments of this series. Absolutely freakin' awesome!
I agree. I love the full richness of the Malaz universe, but barely cared about anything happening in his first two books. I read Dancer's Lament just out of desperate desire to read that backstory, and was rewarded by excellent dialogue and pacing. And humor, come to think of it.  I enjoyed it at least as much as Forge of Darkness, and I look forward to it's future installments more than Erikson's.

Redeagl

• Great Name
  • Pun Master
  • WHAT AM I ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 08, 2016, 02:28:36 am »
I have just purchased GOTM.Is it as confusing as everybody says??
“The thoughts of all men arise from the darkness. If you are the movement of your soul, and the cause of that movement precedes you, then how could you ever call your thoughts your own? How could you be anything other than a slave to the darkness that comes before?”

- Chronicler of the Chroniclers

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 08, 2016, 02:35:04 am »

Just don't try and remember all the names of characters, gods, places, etc, etc. Just enjoy the story, and it'll all fall into place.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 13, 2016, 04:08:05 pm »

Its no more confusing than TDTCB. Anyone who enjoyed TSA shouldn't be worried about GOTM.

Hirtius/Pansa

• The Afflicted Few
  • Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 14, 2016, 08:27:24 pm »
I think I may have made one post in this thread about 15 months ago that I had purchased GOTM.  I just finished Memories of Ice the other day.  Good stuff overall.  I love the military, geo-political stuff.  I really dislike this series when it tonally goes into "rpg mode".  When our band of heroes gear up and then go dungeon crawling for treasure and magical artifacts, engaging in random encounters.  I had that feeling for like 1/3 of Deadhouse Gates. I've been told that House of Chains has a lot of that with Karsa Orlong being the focus of so much of that volume.  Will continue regardless.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 15, 2016, 12:50:56 pm »
I can't say I ever had that feeling while reading, but looking back, that definitely happens throughout the book.
HoC was my least favorite of all the books, and it beats DoD by a thin margin for the title. The rest seems worth the read, if you're enjoying the story/writing. Otherwise, its too long to be worth the trouble if you aren't enjoying it.