Steven Erikson (The 3.5 million word journey?)

• 198 Replies

Camlost

• The Ginger-Beard Wizard
  • Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 18, 2016, 10:36:25 pm »
Just trying to catch up on months of posts:

Gardens of the Moon is so deep media res that I'd argue you can't appreciate it until several novels later; it's a slightly different reading experience from TDTCB, but rewarding all the same for different reasons.

I'd agree with most that Esslemont is not the same caliber of author that Erikson is at the time his novels reached publication, but I would argue he has made greater strides than his counterpart in subsequent novels. That said, I've always had a soft spot for Esslemont because Erikson left the Empire behind in his storytelling, and that has been one of the blindspots that I've been most curious about. As Madness mentioned, I only made it to the end of the ninth installment in the series, Dust of Dreams, but I can confidently say that when I go back to finish the series as a whole that I will include Esslemont's subsequent novels in my reading list.

I've said before the Toll the Hounds was one of the best novels in the series--and I stand by that--but I'd argue that Return of the Crimson Guard should be attached to that simply for all the shit that goes down in that novel but is overlooked in the understandable race to finish the Malazan series.

I very well be mistaken, but I have been under the impression that Esslemont has two novels post-TCG? With that said, and it might have been mentioned previous to this, I'm fairly certain I've read in Erikson interviews in the past that the Malazan series as a whole isn't necessarily meant to satisfy conclusions. My impression from what I've read--I really wish I had a link right now--has been that the whole of the series was simply meant to be a window in time of the "Malazan universe".

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #106 on: July 20, 2016, 03:14:49 pm »
I very well be mistaken, but I have been under the impression that Esslemont has two novels post-TCG? With that said, and it might have been mentioned previous to this, I'm fairly certain I've read in Erikson interviews in the past that the Malazan series as a whole isn't necessarily meant to satisfy conclusions. My impression from what I've read--I really wish I had a link right now--has been that the whole of the series was simply meant to be a window in time of the "Malazan universe".

I believe Esslemont's Blood and Bone and Assail both follow on The Crippled God in the "main" narrative.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Redeagl

• Great Name
  • Pun Master
  • WHAT AM I ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 22, 2016, 07:59:57 pm »
I have just purchased GOTM.Is it as confusing as everybody says??

Its no more confusing than TDTCB. Anyone who enjoyed TSA shouldn't be worried about GOTM.
Well to say the truth TDTCB is not confusing and the glossary does a wonderful job of making it clearer. I have begun Gardens yesterday after finishing TGO. I enjoyed it until the Tattersail chapter. Was this even english??  and that magic system...
“The thoughts of all men arise from the darkness. If you are the movement of your soul, and the cause of that movement precedes you, then how could you ever call your thoughts your own? How could you be anything other than a slave to the darkness that comes before?”

- Chronicler of the Chroniclers

Redeagl

• Great Name
  • Pun Master
  • WHAT AM I ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 22, 2016, 08:35:40 pm »
I stopped at chapter 4 yesterday, I will try continuing and will post my opinion here.
“The thoughts of all men arise from the darkness. If you are the movement of your soul, and the cause of that movement precedes you, then how could you ever call your thoughts your own? How could you be anything other than a slave to the darkness that comes before?”

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 22, 2016, 11:52:50 pm »
Anything less than the full book I wouldn't call giving it a fair chance. Generally my rule for a series I decide to pick up.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Redeagl

• Great Name
  • Pun Master
  • WHAT AM I ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 24, 2016, 03:34:51 am »
I just finished chapter 6 and I really really enjoyed the chapters that I read today and I am finally beginning to understand what is going on even though I don't think I know enough about these Warrens,Gods,Ascendants but I am beginning to enjoy the book very much.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 24, 2016, 03:51:35 am »
Camlost, I agree, Return of the Crimnson Guard is an excellent book. 3Rd favorite of ICE's after Dancer's Lament And Night of Knives. There is on I haven't read and takes place in Darujhistan while the events of TCG play out, can't think of the name at the moment. Definitely want to read it though.

I just finished chapter 6 and I really really enjoyed the chapters that I read today and I am finally beginning to understand what is going on even though I don't think I know enough about these Warrens,Gods,Ascendants but I am beginning to enjoy the book very much.

You are way to early to even worry about that yet. As the books go on it will all start to come together. Though I can give you an idea of what they are. Excuse me if I am a bit off on details but I remember the gist of it all.

1) Warrens- literally the domain of the each God. And sorcerer's use them for their magic, it's actually a physical place also.

2) Gods, well are just that, the Gods. Though all used to be alive at one point or another, IIRC. And, they are not human, rather Tiste, Jaghut or other races.

3) Ascendents- these are humans who ascend to God Good or take on a specific role for one of the Gods.

My memory is hazy, but that's the gist of it. As you go along in the series it all comes together.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

Redeagl

• Great Name
  • Pun Master
  • WHAT AM I ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 01, 2016, 07:49:45 pm »
Camlost, I agree, Return of the Crimnson Guard is an excellent book. 3Rd favorite of ICE's after Dancer's Lament And Night of Knives. There is on I haven't read and takes place in Darujhistan while the events of TCG play out, can't think of the name at the moment. Definitely want to read it though.

You are way to early to even worry about that yet. As the books go on it will all start to come together. Though I can give you an idea of what they are. Excuse me if I am a bit off on details but I remember the gist of it all.

1) Warrens- literally the domain of the each God. And sorcerer's use them for their magic, it's actually a physical place also.

2) Gods, well are just that, the Gods. Though all used to be alive at one point or another, IIRC. And, they are not human, rather Tiste, Jaghut or other races.

3) Ascendents- these are humans who ascend to God Good or take on a specific role for one of the Gods.

My memory is hazy, but that's the gist of it. As you go along in the series it all comes together.
Also what exactly is The Deck Of Dragons ??

Seomus

• Emwama
  • Author
    • View Profile
    • JMD Reid's Blog
« Reply #113 on: August 01, 2016, 09:45:40 pm »
Also what exactly is The Deck Of Dragons ??

It's the universes version of the Tarot deck. It is tied directly to the gods and the warrens, changing as the fortune changes. They come in houses: Light, Dark, Shadow, Life, and Death I believe. Think of them as suites. There are also some unaligned cards. Then each house has positions: King, Queen, Knight, Magi, Herald, Soldier, Spinner, Mason, Virgin. These titles can have different names for different houses. Like Mason is only in Death. He's called Builder in other suits.

Each of these cards represents a god or an Acendant or a person. They are always changing who holds the lesser roles, while the Major roles (King, Queen) don't change much because they are usually held by the most powerful god aligned to that aspect. These cards can then be used to tell the future and show how the various gods/ascendants are involved with the world and events.

It can help to think of the Malazan world in D&D terms (because this shared universe of Erickson and ICE came out of their shared D&D campaigns they ran together, building their world and also why the two authors disagree on somethings, like what sex K'rul is. It is also why they write in different parts of the world. In fact, the whole backstory about the Emperor, Dancer, Laseen, etc. is based on their actually D&D campaign). So if you've played D&D Ascendants is like hitting Epic Level on your character sheet. You've gotten so powerful you've moved past regular mortals. You're ot a god, but you're hanging with them and you might become one if people worship you enough. Warrens, then, are like the various Planes of the D&D Universe, Plane of Shadows, the Elemental Planes, the Astral Plane, etc.
“A non-writing writer is a monster courting insanity."
--Franz Kafka

Doubt

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 02, 2016, 11:24:04 am »

Ascendants are beings who ascended almost to godhood (powerful, ageless). There are many ways to become an ascendant but none of them are easy.
To be a god you must be worshipped. Gods have access to more power than ascendants.
There is no racial limit to ascendancy or godhood; a human can be either as can any other sentient race
Cuts and cuts and cuts.

Redeagl

• Great Name
  • Pun Master
  • WHAT AM I ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 06, 2016, 02:39:15 am »
I finished the book last night. It was an awesome five star read, it may not be Bakker's level but then again what is??  ok so I have got onr question about the ending. What is Azath??

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 06, 2016, 04:29:24 am »
I finished the book last night. It was an awesome five star read, it may not be Bakker's level but then again what is??  ok so I have got onr question about the ending. What is Azath??

Just keep reading. That's not something you really want to be told,  I wouldn't think. As a matter of fact, I believe it's not til a few books later until it's explained.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #117 on: August 07, 2016, 10:26:10 pm »
Book four even, MSJ, I believe.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 09, 2016, 11:53:42 pm »
Book four even, MSJ, I believe.

(click to show/hide)

When I first read through half the series, Ganoes was one of the few characters who kept me going.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 03:22:02 pm by Madness »

Fiddler Farstrider

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 16, 2016, 05:28:06 pm »
I just finished Dancer's Lament as well as The Fall of Light. The Kharkanas Trilogy is some real dense stuff.  And would only recommend to real hard core fans.  It goes into insane amounts of depth regarding the formation of the magic system. 

So 10 books in the main series, 7 ICE books and 2 Kharkanas prequal novels...that is a lot of pages