[TUC SPOILERS] Walter and Redeagl on TUC...

• 44 Replies

Hiro

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2017, 04:20:52 pm »
Stephen R Donaldson's books are some of my favorite, and I'd never turn down a Joe Abercrombie (although, really I think he's gone downhill since The First Law).  I enjoyed some of the earlier Malazan books, but ultimately fell out of love with the series.  I read the Wheel of Time and dug it, actually thought Sanderson's stuff at the end was an improvement over Robert Jordan's later work.  I like Sanderson's current series, but never could get into his superhero stuff.

In general, I'm generally a sucker for dark fantasy stuff.

Thank you.

SRD is one of my faves as well. Haven't read Joe Abercr, or the Wheel of Time (no interest after reading the prologue). Have read Gardens of the Moon, and part 2 is on my list.
Mystery denotes darkness

Hiro

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2017, 06:41:32 pm »
Alright, overall thoughts: [non spoilery for anything specific in book, but any discussion of pacing, etc. will yield pseudo spoilers if you read into em.  Read at own risk]

1: Stylistically this is most similar to TTT.  We are finally getting to the fireworks factory.
2: It is RSB at his Bakker-est, if that makes any sense.  If you dug the other books in spite of the Bakkerisms, this will be rough for you.  If you dug them FOR his particular quirks, then this is right up your alley.
3: This is now my favorite Bakker book, previously TWP was the one I liked most.
4: Be careful about spoilers.  There are a lot of twists and turns in the plot that are amazing when they happen with no warnings.

I'll take a small bite: what would you define as a 'Bakkerism'? Could you give a (non-TUC) example or two?
Mystery denotes darkness

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2017, 09:26:54 pm »
Stephen R Donaldson's books are some of my favorite, and I'd never turn down a Joe Abercrombie (although, really I think he's gone downhill since The First Law).  I enjoyed some of the earlier Malazan books, but ultimately fell out of love with the series.  I read the Wheel of Time and dug it, actually thought Sanderson's stuff at the end was an improvement over Robert Jordan's later work.  I like Sanderson's current series, but never could get into his superhero stuff.

Thank you.

SRD is one of my faves as well. Haven't read Joe Abercr, or the Wheel of Time (no interest after reading the prologue). Have read Gardens of the Moon, and part 2 is on my list.

Hiro, Malazan is really good if your in for the long haul. Also, Abercrombie is probably the funniest fantasy author I've read.

ETA: Also Esselmonts Dancer trilogy, 1st on Dancer's Lament came out last year is really good. Tell how the Malazan Empirre came into being.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 09:49:25 pm by MSJ »
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

Hiro

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2017, 06:22:30 pm »

Thank you.

Hiro, Malazan is really good if your in for the long haul. Also, Abercrombie is probably the funniest fantasy author I've read.

ETA: Also Esselmonts Dancer trilogy, 1st on Dancer's Lament came out last year is really good. Tell how the Malazan Empirre came into being.

Thanks for the further feedback, MSJ. I'll dip my toe further into the Malazan pool, curious about book 2 and 3. After TUC, though, and there are many other books waiting as well fantasy and non-fantasy.
Mystery denotes darkness

Hiro

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2017, 06:20:47 pm »
Does TUC clarify the path where the 3rd series might take us...?

No need to specify.
Mystery denotes darkness

Redeagl

• Great Name
  • Pun Master
  • WHAT AM I ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2017, 06:24:35 pm »

No need to specify.
Yes, it did.
“The thoughts of all men arise from the darkness. If you are the movement of your soul, and the cause of that movement precedes you, then how could you ever call your thoughts your own? How could you be anything other than a slave to the darkness that comes before?”

- Chronicler of the Chroniclers

Walter

• The Afflicted Few
  • Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2017, 06:25:42 pm »
Yeah, you won't be in doubt about where the third series might go to.

Hiro

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2017, 06:27:00 pm »
Yeah, you won't be in doubt about where the third series might go to.

Thanks guys. That will be interesting after soooo much mystery!
Mystery denotes darkness

Hiro

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2017, 06:27:32 pm »

No need to specify.
Yes, it did.

Red, so what is your rating and verdict, having finished TUC?
Mystery denotes darkness

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2017, 11:12:24 pm »
I'm loving it so far just about to start chapter 9.

Walter

• The Afflicted Few
  • Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2017, 12:21:47 pm »
Glad to hear you are liking it!

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2017, 01:27:01 pm »
Had to stop before i moved on to chapter 19 as was getting too tired. Just about to resume.

Hiro

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2017, 01:57:02 pm »
Had to stop before i moved on to chapter 19 as was getting too tired. Just about to resume.

Chapter 19, holymoly, you did just almost read through it in one night?!?!
Mystery denotes darkness

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2017, 02:10:34 pm »
Waits... eleven years for the finale of the second series. Reads it in a night ;).

Gluttons!
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Walter

• The Afflicted Few
  • Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2017, 02:36:56 pm »
Waits... eleven years for the finale of the second series. Reads it in a night ;).

Gluttons!

Gluttons...for the MEAT!