[TGO Spoilers] Excerpts, Reviews, Interviews, Oh My!

• 74 Replies

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2016, 06:05:22 pm »
Female Dunyain would be my guess, Kellhus's Daughter.

Or Mother...... My money is on Mek with a connection to Seswatha.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2016, 06:26:04 pm »
Mek's POV would be a slog to read if the other Non-man POV is any measure.

profgrape

• The Afflicted Few
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2016, 06:35:13 pm »
Mek's POV would be a slog to read if the other Non-man POV is any measure.

Could be that The Four Revelations was a sort of exercise to establish the proper voice for an Erractic POV.

profgrape

• The Afflicted Few
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2016, 07:24:11 pm »
More speculation fun...

The relationship between Kellhus and Proyas will take an unexpected turn, one that can have important repercussions down the line.

We've discussed at length how their interactions in WLW suggest that Kellhus is grooming Proyas to take over the Great Ordeal at some point.  But what form could this take?

My Nerdendel:

Kellhus will engineer further discontent among the Ordeal's leadership.  The consequences arising from the Apophagia (aside: coolest term ever) will call into question Kellhus' infallibility. 

The seeds that Kellhus has planted regarding his origins will fester within Proyas, leading to a deepening crisis of faith.  It might even be that Kellhus intimates to Proyas that the whole Ordeal is a sham, portraying motives consistent with those Kellhus foresaw of Moenghus.  Either way, there will be a pivotal moment when Proyas defies Kellhus, perhaps even publicly.  Things will culminate with Kellhus abandoning the army, leaving Proyas to lead the Great Ordeal to a spectacular victory at Dagliash. 
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 07:44:40 pm by profgrape »

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2016, 07:42:58 pm »
I like that profgrape. And that could very well be the case. Akka, Proyas and Kellhus are all going to come together at some point. I feel it in my bones. Akka's repudiation in TTT is too poignant of a moment in these books for there not to be a call back to that moment. Remember, Proyas and his reaction are duly noted in that scene. 
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2016, 07:57:35 pm »
I like that profgrape. And that could very well be the case. Akka, Proyas and Kellhus are all going to come together at some point. I feel it in my bones. Akka's repudiation in TTT is too poignant of a moment in these books for there not to be a call back to that moment. Remember, Proyas and his reaction are duly noted in that scene. 
That last scene in TTT is one of my favorites. If there is no recall of that moment before the series ends, I'll be extremely disappointed. 
One of the other conditions of possibility.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2016, 08:10:55 pm »
The biggest travesty with TGO is that it is only half of TUC. In Pat's review he remarks that if it's not split it is the crowning achievement of Bakker's work. And, though I haven't read it (obviously) I'm sure this is the case. All of us who are in love with this series know that TUC will and it has to be, an epic finale. And, to me, that's the saddest part of only get half of the Unholy.

I've been in arguements at Westeros, begged people to read this series, all because I believe we are witnessing something transcendent. The love/hate relationship these books cause in so many, will one day, be what makes them a true work of art. I know I'm biased, but 30 years from now i believe TSA will be a lot bigger than it is now. And, not having the doorstoppper TUC as the final book of TAE will be a regret of the idiots at Overlook.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 08:19:06 pm by MSJ »

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2016, 03:04:07 pm »
Meh... if fans were never aware of the split, cognitive closure would have invalidated these - very strange, to me - criticisms of TGO.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Aural

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2016, 03:25:01 pm »
How can you say that when you haven’t read it? Yes, you’ve read TUC but you don’t know where the book was split. Or did you get an ARC too?

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2016, 03:57:09 pm »
I'd have to find the old interviews and quote them - as I've cited this a number of times over the past two years - but TJE and WLW were both arbitrary splits cutoffs.

Also, because it's not as if the Unmentionable was boring for the first half or something ridiculous like that. I've said the exact opposite since day one. Everything is a spoiler. Every chapter is more intense/awesome, etc, than basically anything else Bakker's written.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2016, 08:44:55 pm »
Meh... if fans were never aware of the split, cognitive closure would have invalidated these - very strange, to me - criticisms of TGO.

Well, this isn't a criticism on my behalf, I've not read it. I guess the split occurred because in finishing TUC the storygrew a bit. But, why would that constitute a split for any other reason than monetary? All I'm saying, is that Bakker intended TUC to be the third and final installment and it would've have been a 900 page behemouth, "Of revelation, stacked upon revelation.". A book that would be that book everyone would point to as Bakker's crowning achievement and set him apart. I think that's more important for Bakker, than it is for us, his fans. I'll buy 60 more books written in this world, if that's what it takes to tell his story. Sure, I'm sure TGO will have me walking around with a banana in my pocket for a few weeks, no doubt. I love everything he writes, pertaining to TSA. I just think it would've been better for his career, is all.

ETA: IMHO, TJE and WLW have felt like the set up books to a great 3rd installment. TTT is the best book of TSA, and isn't even 500 pages. I wholeheartedly agree with Pat, that if it wasn't split it would've been a book on par with GRRRM's A Storm of Swords, in terms of what it did for his career. (i believe TSA is a better story and has better world-building then ASOIAF. Not even close)  Would've been great for Bakker, again that's where my concern lies in this.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 09:08:09 pm by MSJ »

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2016, 11:22:29 pm »
Have people forgotten that  the whole entire series was supposed to be 3 books. PoN, AE, TSTSNBN.

It was 'split' 3 times before AE even started. A split of TUC, if thats what it was, was splitting AE from 3 to 4. That not even worth noticing.
TSTSNBN will probably be 3 if it ever comes out.

So a Trilogy was split into a 10 book set. If TUC wasn't split, it would be 9 books. I really don't get all the complaints or concerns. What's obvious is that the scope, depth, and detail have changed over time. What was conceived as 3 books has grown into much more. I would have thought people would be celebrating.

Also, with the 1 year gap between TGO and TUC, it seems likely that if it wasn't split, we'd be waiting for at least one more (since as far as we know, TUC hasnt been proofed, etc.).

How can you say that when you haven’t read it? Yes, you’ve read TUC but you don’t know where the book was split. Or did you get an ARC too?
How can you say that when you havent read it? I assume you havent read TUC, so you can't know if it was a good split or not. What would be even more impressive would be if you could tell from reading an ARC that there was a clear demarcation of a split.

Again, so far each book has been split 3+ times. It hasn't been a problem so far, so why now?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 11:24:39 pm by Wilshire »

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2016, 11:41:48 pm »
Well, I think you and Madness are missing the main crux of my argument. I could care less about ME getting the entire story at once. I'm saying that it would have been better for Bakker as an author. As Madness can attest, the manuscript he read as TUC as a whole, was his best work yet. And, I think it would have been good for him to have kept it whole. That's all I'm saying. Not a complaint that I am not getting to read it all at once. I can wait.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2016, 12:11:19 am »
As Madness can attest, the manuscript he read as TUC as a whole, was his best work yet.
Might want to double check. Pretty sure he refers to it at the Unmentionable always. Might be he only read half of TGO and wanted to split it into quarters :P no one really knows.

Its a story. As long as it gets told, its all good.

Those waiting to read TSA until its all published, and people who come to the series after its all finished, might as well be reading a 2500 page omnibus TSA with no splits. Where the bindings separate the words won't matter when you can just pick up the next one and continue on.

Aural

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2016, 05:48:01 am »
How can you say that when you havent read it? I assume you havent read TUC, so you can't know if it was a good split or not.

How can you say that when you haven’t read it? I assume that you haven’t read TUC, so you can’t know if it was a good split or not.