TUC spoilers - totally confused by the demons...

• 9 Replies

Purrball

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« on: July 29, 2017, 11:30:42 am »
that enter the ark. What is their purpose? How are they defeated? Why are they there? Can someone explain?

TheCulminatingApe

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2017, 11:42:19 am »
They are summoned by Iyokus (and/ or other daimotic sorcerors) to attack the Consult - i.e. they are part of the magical weaponry at the disposal of the Ordeal.

Because Golgotterath is a topos, where hell penetrates the world, the control over the demons breaks down at the entrance and therefore the POV demon (Kakaliol) can get hold of the Blind Slaver (Iyokus) who summoned it, and drag back to hell to feast on his soul.
Sez who?
Seswatha, that's who.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2017, 01:38:59 pm »
They are summoned by Iyokus (and/ or other daimotic sorcerors) to attack the Consult - i.e. they are part of the magical weaponry at the disposal of the Ordeal.

Because Golgotterath is a topos, where hell penetrates the world, the control over the demons breaks down at the entrance and therefore the POV demon (Kakaliol) can get hold of the Blind Slaver (Iyokus) who summoned it, and drag back to hell to feast on his soul.

And it serves as a seed and cipher for what seems to happen later with Kellhus and Ajokli.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 05:50:12 pm »

And it serves as a seed and cipher for what seems to happen later with Kellhus and Ajokli.
The implication being that  since a yoked Ciphrang can break its bonds and escape directly back to the Outside, Ajokli was able to forcefully enter the Inside via Kellhus, though unbidden.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 07:02:59 pm »
I figure Kellhus meant to summon Ajokli, though perhaps in a much more limited way, and those were the cants he was uttering at the threshold. But as demonstrated by Iyokus, once summoned there, they can't be so easily put down. And Ajokli didn't really want to leave.

Likaro

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 08:16:25 pm »
Aside from Kakaliol who got deeper into Golgotterath than the others, most of them seem to have attacked the top most part of the fortifications, and were killed there by whatever baddies were up there. The big worm Demon apparently created a big hole in the upper walls with his body.

Again, it seems that Kellhus and Iyokus would have deduced beforehand that using demons in a topos is a bad idea. So not sure if that was a Bakker mistake, a mistake on Kellhus's part or they deemed it worth the risk ?

Also,

Iyokus keeps telling Kakaliol to fulfill his mission. What was his mission?! Just get in?

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2017, 08:44:33 pm »
I think Golgotterath is unlike any other topos in intensity.

Duskweaver

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2017, 09:00:36 pm »
I think Golgotterath is unlike any other topos in intensity.
Probably. I mean, Kellhus experimented with head-swapping with Ajokli on Mengedda, which was presumably the deepest topos he knew of / had easy access to. And that clearly did not prepare him for the Golden Room.
"Then I looked, and behold, a Whirlwind came out of the North..." - Ezekiel 1:4

"Two things that brand one a coward: using violence when it is not necessary; and shrinking from it when it is."

Cynical Cat

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2017, 10:24:15 am »
It's probably a cold blooded risk-reward calculation.  Kellhus knows that there's got to be a big topos there, but the advantages of having a bunch of powerful Ciphrang ravage the outer works is worth risking the loss of some of his Daimotic Schoolmen.  He is throwing the dice for all the marbles.

Zealously

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2017, 12:21:49 pm »

Wow, I'm an idiot. I took blind to be metaphorical like so much else, that the Blind Slaver in question was just some dude who had yoked the demon, who simply couldn't see all that the demon could see - something related to the nature of Golgotterath as a topos, I presumed - rather than an actually eyeless person. In that context, the whole scene seemed more an excerpt from the grand battle (like some scenes that abruptly jump to a one-off POV in earlier books, particularly in PON) rather than an account of what happened to Iyokus. Serves me right for not reading twice, I guess. Maybe his name was actually mentioned somewhere in that and I glanced over it in my hurry to find out what happens next, but this puts a piece of the puzzle in place  ???