[TUC Spoilers]The effects of Chorae

• 37 Replies

Cynical Cat

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2017, 11:50:46 am »
Being damned isn't the same as having the Mark.
As far as I remember Mimara always strongly connected a sorcerer's damnation with their Mark. At least that was my reading of her judgments. It always seemed very interesting to me.

The Mark is certainly a strong part of it with Akka and Cleric, but let us remember what Kelhus said about damnation and premeditation.  Serwa doesn't see most people as real and Kelhus mentioned seeing people as instruments was the path to damnation.  Serwa's likely to be extremely guilty of that.  As for Mimara seeing her as being a Ciphrang while living, that's also the territory of Cnaiur and the Captain and neither of them were sorcerers.

SmilerLoki

• Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2017, 11:53:12 am »
As for Mimara seeing her as being a Ciphrang while living, that's also the territory of Cnaiur and the Captain and neither of them were sorcerers.
Indeed. I also edited my post above, providing a quote from "The Last Whelming".

Cynical Cat

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2017, 12:02:54 pm »
It's a good quote.  Probably her Mark is so strong because of her heinous Anasurimbur strength.  In that case, it's probably the fact that it was a graze that allows her to be "merely" maimed.  It is, now that I consider the matter, one of the few times we see a glancing hit with Chorae on a sorcerer of rank.

littlegrice

• Suthenti
  • Mandati
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2017, 02:50:03 am »
It's a good quote.  Probably her Mark is so strong because of her heinous Anasurimbur strength.  In that case, it's probably the fact that it was a graze that allows her to be "merely" maimed.  It is, now that I consider the matter, one of the few times we see a glancing hit with Chorae on a sorcerer of rank.

I can't find the quote anywhere, but I seem to remember someone, somewhere talking about how the deeper the mark, the MORE influenced by Chorae.  Kellhus got touched?  Insta-dead(presumably ;))  Serwa gets grazed, and she losses most(?) of her arm.  Meta-Gnostic cuts both ways, apparently.
Well, he no talkie good like me and you, so his vocabulistics is limited to 'TELL ME...' and 'WHAT DO YOU SEE?' and, 'WHAT AM I?' Exclusively in that order.

Cynical Cat

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2017, 02:55:01 am »

I can't find the quote anywhere, but I seem to remember someone, somewhere talking about how the deeper the mark, the MORE influenced by Chorae.  Kellhus got touched?  Insta-dead(presumably ;))  Serwa gets grazed, and she losses most(?) of her arm.  Meta-Gnostic cuts both ways, apparently.

I remember it.  There's a line about Nonmen Quya who are so deeply Marked that they'll apparently start salting within an armslength of a Chorae.

SmilerLoki

• Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2017, 06:04:22 am »
I remember it.  There's a line about Nonmen Quya who are so deeply Marked that they'll apparently start salting within an armslength of a Chorae.
The way I've read it, something similar happens to Serwa when she catches a Skylvendi arrow at the beginning of TUC and her arm and fist are superficially salted. She didn't touch a Chorae that was affixed to the arrow, it just came close to her body.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2017, 12:27:47 pm »
The way I've read it, something similar happens to Serwa when she catches a Skylvendi arrow at the beginning of TUC and her arm and fist are superficially salted. She didn't touch a Chorae that was affixed to the arrow, it just came close to her body.

There are other similar superficial saltings. Kellhus's hand or knuckles, I believe, in TJE when Sorweel first meets him. Achamian's cheek in TJE when Mimara and the Skin-Eaters are carrying him through the Black Halls.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, maybe Achamian just gained a deeper mark due to his exercise of sorcery over PON and the following twenty years, which is why he didn't superficially salt in TDTCB with Geshrunni (RIP).
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Cynical Cat

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2017, 12:48:06 pm »
In the halls, Akka is punched by a Sranc with a Chorae in it's fist.  That's an inch away from flesh at most. Also, you're probably right about his Mark being deeper.  He whips out a lot of sorcery in the next two books, not to mention the next 20 years.

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2017, 03:14:36 pm »

There are other similar superficial saltings. Kellhus's hand or knuckles, I believe, in TJE when Sorweel first meets him. Achamian's cheek in TJE when Mimara and the Skin-Eaters are carrying him through the Black Halls.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, maybe Achamian just gained a deeper mark due to his exercise of sorcery over PON and the following twenty years, which is why he didn't superficially salt in TDTCB with Geshrunni (RIP).

serwe get ssalted grabbing an arrow in the early chapter of TUC.

When cnaiur is dangling the chora over akka at the end of TTT he can feel himself salting.

Dont think any of them are are chorae to skin though.

I think Kellhus has salt on his swordhand in TJE.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 03:17:06 pm by themerchant »

Woden

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2017, 06:30:55 pm »
Is it possible that there are different types and degrees of chorae? ::)
Know what your slaves believe, and you will always be their master.

boneclinkz

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2017, 06:46:07 pm »
I sure would like to have an appendix entry talking about the Aporos, because I sure am curious about Chorae considering how prominently they figure into the story, yet none of the characters seem very interested in knowing how they were created or how they work.

ThoughtsOfThelli

• Great Name
  • Thelli's Revenge
  • Approximation of a Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2017, 07:22:50 pm »
Wasn't the Chorae that hit Serwa the same that had been given to Sorweel via Yatwer? (I remember it being described as suddenly coming out of nowhere...) Maybe it's a combination of the effects of the pouch and the sword that renders it less effective, or makes it so that its effect is not immediate?
"But you’ve simply made the discovery that Thelli made—only without the benefit of her unerring sense of fashion."
-Anasûrimbor Kayûtas (The Great Ordeal, chapter 13)

"You prefer to believe women victims to their passions, but we can be at least as calculating as you. Love does not make us weak, but strong."
-Ykoriana of the Masks (The Third God, chapter 27)

littlegrice

• Suthenti
  • Mandati
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2017, 08:56:00 pm »
Wasn't the Chorae that hit Serwa the same that had been given to Sorweel via Yatwer? (I remember it being described as suddenly coming out of nowhere...) Maybe it's a combination of the effects of the pouch and the sword that renders it less effective, or makes it so that its effect is not immediate?

The Chorae coming out of nowhere.  I was thinking it was little Kelmomas on his way to kill dad, and saw Serwa fighting for her life, and thought 'well, now, another sibling to kill?  why not?'  He knew no one found the artifact on Sorweel, so he could have stopped on his way to the Golden room to find it real quick.
Well, he no talkie good like me and you, so his vocabulistics is limited to 'TELL ME...' and 'WHAT DO YOU SEE?' and, 'WHAT AM I?' Exclusively in that order.

ThoughtsOfThelli

• Great Name
  • Thelli's Revenge
  • Approximation of a Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2017, 09:50:43 pm »
The Chorae coming out of nowhere.  I was thinking it was little Kelmomas on his way to kill dad, and saw Serwa fighting for her life, and thought 'well, now, another sibling to kill?  why not?'  He knew no one found the artifact on Sorweel, so he could have stopped on his way to the Golden room to find it real quick.

I thought that too when rereading TUC a couple of days ago, but I'm not fully sure if the timing works for Kelmomas. It would definitely make more sense for it to be him than a random skin-spy/Sranc/other Consult agent.
"But you’ve simply made the discovery that Thelli made—only without the benefit of her unerring sense of fashion."
-Anasûrimbor Kayûtas (The Great Ordeal, chapter 13)

"You prefer to believe women victims to their passions, but we can be at least as calculating as you. Love does not make us weak, but strong."
-Ykoriana of the Masks (The Third God, chapter 27)

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2017, 09:56:54 pm »
I think she just miscalculated. It happens even to full Dunyain. Why not to a halfbreed? I'm pretty sure little Kel was being locked up with his uncles during this anyway.