Book deals and purchases

• 149 Replies

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2014, 09:20:02 am »
Yeah I looked at mine on the weekend and you are right, they are the same book! What I thought was the front (mostly white - snow landscape) is actually the back and the front is actually the more fertile landscape - as you have said.

Big S and Shannara on the side :)

Awesome cover still :)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 10:53:45 am by SilentRoamer »

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2014, 08:55:50 pm »
Day off of work and went on a general shopping spree in the town centre around the town and all the market stalls and there were some shops open I don't usually get  to on a weekend so got a great haul. Had to put in some extra work with the wife for this!

Terry Pratchett: The Light Fantastic
Terry Pratchett: The Colour of Magic
Terry Pratchett: Hogfather
Terry Pratchett: Feet of Clay
Terry Pratchett: Going Postal

50p each from a market stall. All matching softbacks in good condition with just slight wear. Thud is brand new with newer cover, probably read once.

Brian Jacques: A Tale of Redwall: Redwall
Brian Jacques: A Tale of Redwall: The Taggerung
Brian Jacques: A Tale of Redwall: The Bellmaker
Brian Jacques: A Tale of Redwall: Outcast of Redwall
Brian Jacques: A Tale of Redwall: The Long Patrol
Brian Jacques: A Tale of Redwall: The Pearls of Lutra
Brian Jacques: A Tale of Redwall: The Legend of Luke
Brian Jacques: A Tale of Redwall: Marlfox

£2 each at a charity store. All matching softbacks in good condition with slight wear. Not particularly cheap for a charity store.

Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle: Lucifers Hammer - 1978 Futura Publications not in great shape. 1 inch tear on the inside rear cover. No damage to pages, the front and spine are OK. Will be readable without causing further damage.
Isaac Asimov: Second Foundation - 1964 Avon Books. Small book in good condition for its age, much getter condition than Lucifers Hammer.
Frederick Pohl: Gateway - 1978 Ballantine Books. In good condition white line running vertically down the right hand side half a cm from where the spine starts. The page opens on the line rather than on the spine, other than that its in decent condition.
3 for £2 on a maket stall, the guy had some other old books but not in good enough condition, the Niven/Pournelle one was close but I like their stuff and haven't read this.

David Eddings: Seeress of Kell - Weird red cover on this book in good condition with slight wear - random number in a random series, ill fill them in eventually.
Stephen King: The Dark Tower #6: The Song of Susannah - Great condition. New cover art I have on 4 of them now.
Eddings 10p, Stephen King 50p in a charity shop.

Neal Asher: Voyage of the Sable Keecher - No Asher in my collection yet and still to be read so a nice addition, probably part of a set.
Brent Weeks: The Night Angel Trilogy #1: The Way of Shadows - Almost new quality hardly been touched probably read once.
2 for £1 from a charity shop.

Max Brooks: World War Z - Softback in great condition, probably read once. Im a sucker for post apoc.
Neil Gaiman: Ocean at the End of the Lane - Hardback in great condition, probably read once. I have wanted to read Gaiman for a while.
£2 each from a charity shop.

Ann Leckie: Ancillary Justice - Seen a thread on the other forum about this but not read it, hooked by a fantastic blurb.
£7.99 brand new from Waterstones.

Should fill the nice space I have on my shelf. :) Really happy with the older Sci Fi I got as I love picking that up.

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2014, 01:13:38 am »
Popped to the local markets and the weekly car boot sale and picked up a few items.

T. H. White: The Once and Future King #5: The Book of Merlin - Same print run and cover type as the Sword in Stone listed earlier in the thread.
60p from a market stall. 1987 print softback in decent condition - general wear.

Stephen King: The Dark Tower #2: The Drawing of the Three - I only need books 3 and 5 and I have the whole set now.
50p from a market stall. Softback in decent condition - general wear.

Terry Pratchet: Wyrd Sisters - Got it to add to those bought last week.
£1 from a market stall. Softback in decent condition - general wear. Same cover type as the ones from last week.

Lois McMaster Bujold: Curse of Chalion - Really liked this books when I read it from the library, never read the reast of the series (trilogy I think).
£1 from a market stall. Softback in decent condition - general wear.

Bernard Cornwell: The Warlord Chornicles #2: The Enemy of God
Large sized hardback. DJ in decent condition, book underneath in good condition.
Bernard Cornwell: The Warlord Chornicles #3: Excalibur
Medium sized hardback. DJ in decent condition, book underneath in good condition.
Have 1,2,3 of this series now. Think there are a few.

Bernard Cornell: The Grail Quest #2: Vagabond
Large sized hardback. DJ in excellent condition - probably read once.
Bernard Cornell: The Grail Quest #3: Heretic
Large sized hardback. DJ in excellent condition - probably read once.

David Eddings: The Tamulis #1: Domes of Fire
Large sized hardback. DJ in decent condition - book underneath in good condition.
David Eddings: The Tamulis #2: The Shining Ones
Large sized hardback. DJ in decent condition - book underneath in good condition.
David Eddings: The Tamulis #3:  The Hidden City
50p each or 3 for £1 but I got all 7 for £3 from a car boot seller.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 07:07:31 pm by SilentRoamer »

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2014, 05:21:50 pm »
Ok so I picked up a couple of books while in town.

David Gemmell: Morningstar
David Gemmell: Knights of Dark Renown
Terry Brooks: The Dark Legacy of Shannara #2: Bloodfire Quest

£1.99 each or 3 for £5 from the Works.

The Gemmell books are a new edition cover and match the Waylander one which they sell in another Works store near me along with Hyperion so I'm going to pick them up when in the area.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 05:23:25 pm by SilentRoamer »

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2014, 05:12:59 pm »
Charity shops in my town came up golden today.

Daniel Abraham: The Dagger and the Coin #1: The Dragon's Path - Softback in good condition.
Daniel Abraham: The Dagger and the Coin #2: The King's Blood - Softback in good condition.
£2 each from a charity shop. Really surprised so find these but this was from the BHF British Heart Foundation which has a few stores near me.

David Gemmell: Greek Series #2: Dark Prince - Large softback, decent condition with minor wear.
David Gemmell:  Wayland II in the realm of Shadows - Large softback, decent condition with minor wear.
£2 each from a BHF charity shop

Anne Mcaffrey: Talents of Earth #1: To Ride Pegasus - Small softback in good condition.
Janny Wurts: Alliance of Light #1: Fugitive Prince - Softback in good condition.
£1.75 for both buy 1 get 1 free from a charity shop.

David Gemmell: Winter Warriors - Small softback, decent condition with minor wear. £1.
Terry Pratchett: Equal Rites - Small softback  in good condition. £1
Terry Pratchett: Sourcery - Small softback  in good condition. £1
Brian Aldiss: Hot House - 1979 print. Small softback  in good condition. 70p
Robert A. Heinlein: Have Space Suit Will Travel - 1978 print. Small softback in good condition. 60p
All from the same market trader near me.

Great little haul today. Bought another bookshelf as well, inn reorganise my shelves so they dont all need to be stacked two deep. Also nice that I buy a lot from charity stores as it benefits others as well.  ;D
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 05:14:55 pm by SilentRoamer »

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2014, 08:25:55 pm »
Small purchase from the car boot sales:

Robert Jordan: Wheel of Time #: Winters Heart - Large sotback, ok condition except for slight water mark in corner - wouldnt have bought it if I had noticed. Will be ok until I pick up another one.
David and Leigh Eddings: The Rivan Codex -  Medium sized hardback. Dust jacket in ok condition, book in good condition.
Nikolai Tolstoy: The coming of the King - Huge sized hardback. Dust jacket in ok condition, book in good condition.
3 for £1

Philip K. Dick: Ubik - 1978 Print small softback in good condition.
50p

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2014, 12:41:32 pm »
I can see why your wife might be frustrated by the number of books you purchase :P. You must really have quite the library. Going to open one up yourself some day?
One of the other conditions of possibility.

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2014, 06:20:45 pm »
Well when I retire in a few decades I might have enough to set something small up - I just fear for the loss of all the lovely books.

Eventually though I am going to have to start buying outside of genre specific SFF as I will end up owning most of the more highly well known/acclaimed authors collected works. I do already buy some other stuff but few and far between - most non SFF were presents from others.

MrG has been given some books so I am going to edit the title to include given books as well so he can get his lazy a$$ over here!

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2014, 11:11:01 pm »
Well when I retire in a few decades I might have enough to set something small up - I just fear for the loss of all the lovely books.

Eventually though I am going to have to start buying outside of genre specific SFF as I will end up owning most of the more highly well known/acclaimed authors collected works. I do already buy some other stuff but few and far between - most non SFF were presents from others.

MrG has been given some books so I am going to edit the title to include given books as well so he can get his lazy a$$ over here!

lol, i'm sorry!  it's really mind-boggling all the stuff we now have!  i'm just crazy busy and need to catalogue these things right/handle them carefully -- OP will eventually deliver!

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2014, 02:37:37 pm »
Ok so it was my birthday last week and I got a Waterstones voucher for £20 - love getting brand new books :)

Peter F Hamilton: Chronicle of the Fallers #1: The Abyss Beyond Dreams - Really looking forward to this book as I am a big fan of Peter F. Hamilton and I really love the Commonwealth trilogy. Big Hardback with an awful, generic, shiny gold cover that looks more like a Star Trek teaser poster with a random face. Cost £12 after the £8 discount
George R. R. Martin: A Song of Ice and Fire #2: Clash of Kings - I already have Game of Thrones and A Storm of Swords 1: Steel and Snow and this is the same cover type. £9.99
Ann Leckie: Imperial Radch #2: Ancillary Sword - Liked the first one enough to read the second one, really hope the story goes in a particular direction. £8.99 but it was buy one get cheapest half price on this and CoK so only £4.50

Also popped to the local market trader who keeps his eyes out for me:

Kurt Vonegut Jr: Cats Cradle - 1970 print. Small softback in decent condition, general wear no damage. Cover for this is red and the outside of the pages are all tinted blue so it is really weird looking, the pages are normal colour inside just on the odd edges. 60p
Roger Zelazny: Roadmarks - 1981 print. Small softback in decent condition, general wear no damage. 50p
Fred Hoyle & John Elliot: A for Andromeda - 1963 print. Small softback in decent condition, general wear no damage. 50p
Robert Heinlein: Starship Troopers - 1967 print. Small softback in decent condition, general wear with a bend mark on the lower left front cover :( Perfectly readable.50p
Robert Silverberg: Silent Invaders - 1978 print. Small softback in decent condition, general wear with a bend mark on the lower left front cover just same as the book above! :( Again perfectly readable. 60p
Robert Silverberg: Lord Valentines Castle - 1981 print. Softback in good condition, general wear no damage. 50p
Brian Aldiss: Super-State - Small softback in very good condition almost no wear. £1.00

Decent haul overall and a few of these tickle my interest enough to jump into my near future reading list. Hamilton especially so.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 02:40:46 pm by SilentRoamer »

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)

locke

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2014, 06:01:50 am »
I've got a bunch of books we are about to donate I can list them if people are interested in paying shipping and nothing else.  Mostly hardcovers in mylar.

All typ0s courtesy of Samsung.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2014, 02:07:34 pm »
< Interested

Where would they be shipping from?

EDIT:
When you ship books, make sure to ship them under the "book rate". Makes it significantly cheaper than anything else.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 04:27:18 pm by Wilshire »
One of the other conditions of possibility.

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2014, 06:57:45 pm »
I am interested.If you could list them that would be appreciated. 

Me and Wilshire will have to duel to the death in the Sranc Pits of the North

Garet Jax

« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2014, 11:38:14 pm »
I am interested as well.