• 207 Replies

Cüréthañ

• Moderator Extraordinaire
  • Old Name
  • Pendulous Fallacy
  • Wizard IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2014, 06:14:38 am »
Most every definition of pale as an adjective is for whitish complexion or almost colourless grey or white.
Retracing his bloody footprints, the Wizard limped on.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2014, 04:58:21 pm »
Most every definition of pale as an adjective is for whitish complexion or almost colourless grey or white.

I think pale is a relative term.  Malowebi is Satyothi, which is black-skinned.  Any non-Satyothi would be pale to him.

What Somna said. Your looking at an arab guy standing next to a african guy, the arab guy is pale, but if you put the arab fellow next to me, he's dark. Regardless of what "most" definitions are, the POV and surroundings are important. Everything is relative, especially when talking about skin tone. Native American to Brazillian, the NA is pale or whiteish, but compared to some Canadian guy, he's dark.

Some definitions of pale also include feeble and unimpressive.... Context...
One of the other conditions of possibility.

locke

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2014, 07:01:26 pm »
Meppa is an initiate of old Moe's who adopted the snake that escaped when Cnaiur chorae'd him.  The snake only partially absorbed Moe's 'essence' shall we say, so when the initiate got hold of the snake, only part of Moe downloaded and partially scrubbed out the initiate's own 'essence.'  Thus, he has part of Moe's reasoning abilities, coupled with the initiate's passion.  Seems like this has been theorized before, but that's what I'm going with.
Cishaurim snakes = sandworms = Leto ii

It is known.

All typ0s courtesy of Samsung.

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2014, 09:41:52 pm »
Meppa is an initiate of old Moe's who adopted the snake that escaped when Cnaiur chorae'd him.  The snake only partially absorbed Moe's 'essence' shall we say, so when the initiate got hold of the snake, only part of Moe downloaded and partially scrubbed out the initiate's own 'essence.'  Thus, he has part of Moe's reasoning abilities, coupled with the initiate's passion.  Seems like this has been theorized before, but that's what I'm going with.

I LIKE THIS!

Let's step on the gas: MOENGHUS IS THE SNAKE

I think Moe would find a way to change his skin color if he wanted.

Cüréthañ

• Moderator Extraordinaire
  • Old Name
  • Pendulous Fallacy
  • Wizard IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2014, 11:15:16 pm »
What Somna said. Your looking at an arab guy standing next to a african guy, the arab guy is pale, but if you put the arab fellow next to me, he's dark. Regardless of what "most" definitions are, the POV and surroundings are important. Everything is relative, especially when talking about skin tone. Native American to Brazillian, the NA is pale or whiteish, but compared to some Canadian guy, he's dark.

Some definitions of pale also include feeble and unimpressive.... Context...

The reason some definitions include feeble and unimpressive is because becoming pale refers to capillary action associated with blood loss.  It's a term like blush - you don't often notice such differences with darker skin.
Also, Malowebi is talking about the Kian Grandees as a group, not comparatively.

You could be right.  I tend to go with what the word actually means and what the author wrote.

I believe Arabs in general are far more numerous and contain much more diversity amongst the tribes and ethnic mixture of the middle east the the Kian.  All of the other civilizations of the western side of the three seas are Ketyai (black hair, light skin).  The groups that are described with darker (middling) skin tones come from the east.

But just because Fanim culture seems analogous to medieval Muslims such as the Saracen - I don't really understand the reasoning behind extending that to skin-tone.
For example, Zeum itself seems a lot closer to imperial China in the cultural hints we have received so far as to it's cultural stucture and policy.

Beyond those generalizations, I guess that I will concede that perhaps Meppa's nut-brown skin might just be the darkest extreme of the Kianese skin rainbow.
I feel like the terms nut-brown and pale were perhaps deliberately used so close together to obfuscate Meppa's identity or thoughts that of who he might be.

@mg; that's already been guessed as well, man.  I will get that list of guessers & guesses compiled before TUC is released, in case Meppa's identity is revealed therein.
Retracing his bloody footprints, the Wizard limped on.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2014, 07:06:00 pm »
locke mentioned in another post the Meppa is Moenghus' father / Kellhus' grandfather. Not sure if thats been stated in this topic yet, but it seemed novel to me.

Aural

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2014, 08:48:26 pm »
locke mentioned in another post the Meppa is Moenghus' father / Kellhus' grandfather. Not sure if thats been stated in this topic yet, but it seemed novel to me.

Interesting, yes. But isn't Kellhus about 53 55 years old now? For Meppa to be his grandfather how old does he have to be?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 08:50:19 pm by Ashtinahgma »

locke

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2014, 09:56:57 pm »
Anasurimbors live 150 years plus not 75 years plus

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2014, 12:35:34 am »
Do we really know that's standard and not just that one Anasurimbor?

Although even if it didn't used to be, I wonder if Dunyain bred for longevity in their offspring in addition to their other traits. If so, it's possible with the right genes (and a great dearth of oncogenes) that a human could live to be 120-130.

Aural

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2014, 08:31:11 am »
One Anasurimbor that we know of lived to 150+ long ago because he was almost half Nonman. Now that the Nonman blood must have been diluted significantly it's hard to imagine that an Anasurimbor can live up to 150 years on average.

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2014, 08:46:15 am »
Still, Kellhus seems to be in pretty good shape for a 55 year old.

locke

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2014, 03:59:59 pm »
One Anasurimbor that we know of lived to 150+ long ago because he was almost half Nonman. Now that the Nonman blood must have been diluted significantly it's hard to imagine that an Anasurimbor can live up to 150 years on average.
Bakker and tolkien. Aragorn. Doesn't matter if it's diluted.

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2014, 04:08:22 pm »
Bakker doesn't just ape Tolkien 1 for 1.

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2014, 05:35:50 pm »
@ Curethan - :( the perennial problem of showing up late to the party!

When TUC finally comes out, all of you old timers are going to have fun linking to the all the things you predicted.  Probably need a whole thread for "Called It"

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2014, 01:56:33 am »
Bakker doesn't just ape Tolkien 1 for 1.
Yeah the similarities are there but certainly not a replica.

Anyway, one bullet point does not make a trendline for thousands of years of history and bizarre breeding.
I will say though that Akka is even older than Kellhus, not to mention Iyokus. There are plenty of "elderly" in Earwa that are doing pretty damn well for their time.