Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2017, 04:42:18 pm »
Steak pie - and all kinds of meat pies - have long been things.

On topic, my favorite pie is and always (probably) will be lemon meringue.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2017, 04:47:15 pm »
Thank you, H - for taking this seriously. I don't believe Scrancy loves Scranc pie, that would be cannibalism and there's no evidence of that even when the Scranc were starving. Human pie, perhaps ...

Good food is serious business.

Now, my real passion is for cookies.  A fine Linzer cookie is hard to find.  Impossible here, actually, people don't seem to like cookies in this state, which seems almost pathological to me...

I really like sweet things that aren't actually too sweet.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2017, 04:51:15 pm »
Let us not re-summon the Great Cookie/Biscuit Debate...
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2017, 05:03:30 pm »
Let us not re-summon the Great Cookie/Biscuit Debate...

That is definitely proof that some things are just not capable of being known.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2017, 06:31:13 pm »
Steak pie - and all kinds of meat pies - have long been things.

On topic, my favorite pie is and always (probably) will be lemon meringue.

I should've guessed at that - Lemon Meringue would be one of the more "mad" pies
It's me, Dave, open up, I've got the stuff

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2017, 06:36:55 pm »
Ah, H - were you at ZCon this year? If I can swing it next year, I'll bring my gluten free chocolate chip cookies with me; I have Celiac, so can't reciprocate by trying any of yours if they have gluten. I would consider my recipe to be not too sweet, but not sure how low of sweet you prefer. My harsh dietary restriction is a big reason I didn't go, it's very difficult to manage. Avoiding foods with gluten is just the beginning, I have a hyper-sensitivity to cross contamination ( so while the hotel may be safe, the travel there and back may not ). While I'm humble about my intellect, I sport pride with my cookies  ;D

Woden

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2017, 06:46:08 pm »
Another Galician pie is the "empanada gallega". I hope that your grandma made some for you too. Obviously it's not a dessert, and it's stuffed with meat or fish.

Know what your slaves believe, and you will always be their master.

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2017, 07:17:06 pm »
Another Galician pie is the "empanada gallega". I hope that your grandma made some for you too. Obviously it's not a dessert, and it's stuffed with meat or fish.

I don't think she did, doesn't look familiar. But she was old school, for sure. Had 30+ people shoved in the basement with huge spread of food during the holidays. And she gave coffee to us kids  ;)

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2017, 10:45:35 am »
Ah, H - were you at ZCon this year? If I can swing it next year, I'll bring my gluten free chocolate chip cookies with me; I have Celiac, so can't reciprocate by trying any of yours if they have gluten. I would consider my recipe to be not too sweet, but not sure how low of sweet you prefer. My harsh dietary restriction is a big reason I didn't go, it's very difficult to manage. Avoiding foods with gluten is just the beginning, I have a hyper-sensitivity to cross contamination ( so while the hotel may be safe, the travel there and back may not ). While I'm humble about my intellect, I sport pride with my cookies  ;D

Our kids are in something of the same boat (although their sensitivity level is lower), the oldest nearly died when very little from eating too much gluten.  So, I cook everything gluten-free.  Of course, I occasionally have some myself, but for the most part, it's rice flour and all that.

While I am an alright cook, I am an awful baker though, haha.  I assure you, anything I'd bake would be bad.  I let my wife handle that.

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2017, 01:29:52 pm »
Aw, sorry to hear about the near-miss with your boy, I'm sure it was frightening - but glad to hear he's ok now. We parents typically have at least an annual heart attack moment for the safety of our children, but your situation seems it got too close for comfort.

I miss Pizza the most ( GF pizza is "ok", but grew up near this pizza place that has AMAZING pizza/garlic knots/Italian salad ... it's been quite sad missing that place ). My wife is the cook, I am the baker in the family. Got any GF dishes you want to share?

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2017, 02:02:04 pm »
Thank you, H - for taking this seriously. I don't believe Scrancy loves Scranc pie, that would be cannibalism and there's no evidence of that even when the Scranc were starving. Human pie, perhaps ...

Good food is serious business.

Now, my real passion is for cookies.  A fine Linzer cookie is hard to find.  Impossible here, actually, people don't seem to like cookies in this state, which seems almost pathological to me...

I really like sweet things that aren't actually too sweet.

Those are called Jammie Dodgers where i come from.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2017, 02:23:43 pm »
Aw, sorry to hear about the near-miss with your boy, I'm sure it was frightening - but glad to hear he's ok now. We parents typically have at least an annual heart attack moment for the safety of our children, but your situation seems it got too close for comfort.

I miss Pizza the most ( GF pizza is "ok", but grew up near this pizza place that has AMAZING pizza/garlic knots/Italian salad ... it's been quite sad missing that place ). My wife is the cook, I am the baker in the family. Got any GF dishes you want to share?

I'm originally from NY, so I miss NY pizza a great deal myself.  There really isn't a substitute though.

As for GF recipes, we really just plan meals that don't need flour, rather than try to imitate it.  The kid's taste limits what we can do, creatively.  But America's Test Kitchen has a gluten free cookbook that has a pretty good flour mix that gives some decent results (like pancakes).  Being where I am at, I also make roux out of rice flour to make gumbo, but my wife only likes that when it is relative cold (not too often down here).

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2017, 09:25:15 pm »
Quote from:  H
I'm originally from NY, so I miss NY pizza a great deal myself.  There really isn't a substitute though.

Ahhhh, my hearts desire. Back in my wild days, me and best friend (whose family is all from New York. Staten Island and Bronx) took me on my first trip there a few years after 9/11. It was St. Patrick's Day when we arrived and got totally shit faced. Had everybody in the bar calling us WV, because they was so enamored by our accents and drinking abilities. Anyhow, we stop at one of those famous "Pie" shops and got a slice, my first ever. I finished it within a block turned around and went and got another. Best pizza ever! Hands down. Chicago keep your deep dish lasagna or whatever the Fuck it's is. Give me a thin slice of NY style cheese pizza and I'm golden.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2017, 09:42:15 pm »
Yeah, the place I grew up with was run by Italian New Yorkers making NY Style pizza. A couple of them didn't speak English. I've had amazing pizza in NY as well. But wouldn't you know it - like for real ( I know about everything I say is a lie - but not this ), the best pizza of my life was in San Francisco - OMG - it was NY style run by an Italian ( so same stuff you get in NY, just made in SF ) and changed my life. I actually re-visted just to get more of that pizza. I got married with kids, so haven't been back in a long time, not sure it's still there.

So I guess pizza pie wins the contest as best pie ...

CondYoke

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2017, 10:35:26 pm »
Warning; graphics gross gastronomic gut-check follows...

EARWA'S BEST! Pizza Pie-

Deliver to:
A. Kellhus
The Umbilicus
c/o The Great Ordeal
Northern Agongorea

Order in-
2000 large pies.
Ce Tydonni sourdough crust
Scranc-seed sauce
W/ extra cheese
Bashrag-blood sausage crumbles
Onions,
Topped with shavings of our signature gutted, rutted, and dried Scalded Scabs...