TNG- Your expectations and wants

• 57 Replies

Rots

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2017, 11:27:59 pm »
I wish that there was no TNG coming out. Im fine with where/how it all ended. Sometimes, the Dragon should win. I hope that there is no redemption. Id certainly welcome a bunch of atrocity tales and stuff like that but as far as another series, im good. I mean ill buy it if it comes out but i will not be longing for it.

So, i will not make any predictions other than there will be things that are clear to RSB but sadly all too ambiguous to the rest of us. And then RSB can tell us that we are missing something obvious and then cue lots of clueless speculation.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2017, 03:46:16 pm »
He did say
Do we know the fate of Shauriatis?
and never directly refused the possession narrative which I take as a semi-sanctioning of this narrative.
DO RAFOs apply to future novels as well? Coz' then at least I can hope that Shaeönanra's fate will be elucidated at some point.

I think so.

Quote from:  Madness
I think his "discovery writer" comments have to do with TNG directly. After all, we could argue that all his shorts and standalones were written in "discovery" mode, though - as per what's available - that might not seem a positive indication.

I think your confused as to my comment. I meant that TNG is when his discovery writing will begin. I don't read much on his blog, so not all that well versed in his attitude on humanity and such.

Yeah, that's just not true. Disciple, Neuropath, any Atrocity Tales, all "discovery writing," whether that bodes well for TNG or not.

The only piece I could argue that he had even half as much *vision* for as he did for TSA is LTG.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

TLEILAXU

• Old Name
  • Exalt-Smiter of Theories
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2017, 07:40:27 pm »
Alright guys, I was unsure if RAFO meant "read harder noob" or "wait until next novel scrub".
I have a good feeling about the discovery writing. Hope we'll get to see how the world turns more Dûnyainish.

Lonnie Slidell

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2017, 07:28:23 pm »
My sense, which admittedly comes from reading most if not all of Three Pound Brain, is that it is important if not essential to a sound understanding of the Second Apocalypse:

"Storytelling is my primary means of sounding these darker possibilities. The centerpiece of my project is The Second Apocalypse, the tale of a monastic outcast who rises from obscurity to shake the world. Through flawed gazes and broken hearts I try to paint a canvas as savage and sage as those rendered by my adolescent idols, Howard, Herbert, and Tolkien. I’ve lived with this story for thirty years now (!) and I’m pretty sure I’ll never have a better one to tell. “Perhaps the best fantasy series written in the past decade…” The Atlantic.com recently declared.  And I’m just getting to the interesting bits now.

Three Pound Brain is my secondary means of sounding these questions, a kind of philosophical scrapbook where I try to make theoretical sense of what seems to be happening—the nature of the biological, social, and technological processes behind our ongoing ‘semantic apocalypse.’" (From the 'About' page of Three Pound Brain)

I think the thirty-year story reached its conclusion with the destruction of the Great Ordeal.  With "The No-God" he is going to have to go beyond what he dreamed up as a teenager, thus the 'discovery.'  I think Three Pound Brain gives a sense of how Scott sees the world becoming, and to the extent that he sees both Earwa and this world coming to apocalypse it sees likely that he sees them converging.  I expect Earwa to become disenchanted.   I would not be surprised if by the end of this next cycle of books Earwa is mundane , in the Xanth sense of the word.  The events of the Second Apocalypse would become Scripture, but as can be the case with (for example) the Bible and the Koran, misremembered or misconstrued.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2017, 06:45:24 pm »
Yeah, that pretty much matches up with my understanding.

Though I would point out that Earwa is already the old scripture of our world, so that Earwa becomes disenchanted is pretty much a foregone conclusion. After all, the Consult have always won, what remains seen is if its now or sometime in the future ;). FWIW though, I doubt TNG will go that far into the future to where we see it disenchanted.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Old Gnostic Fool

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2018, 04:25:11 am »
All I can say is that I hope Bakker doesn't compromise his vision. If his intent is to give us a truly bleak ending, I hope he carries through with it.

Tolkien already wrote what could be described as the darkest work of fantasy so the notion isn't unprecedented. I'm talking about the Silmarillion and the events that transpire at the end of the First Age. Sure, it's not the ultimate endpoint, but it marks a major shift.

P.S.: Erikson's Kharkanas trilogy isn't cancelled. It's been put on hold till after the first Toblakai novel.

GorraShatan

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2018, 09:39:07 pm »
I'm hoping for some sort of hope or future for the Nonmen, and that RSB doesn't take things so dark as to be boring (two straight chapters of cannibalism for the Ordeal was a bit much).

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2018, 07:40:54 pm »
Re: Cannibalism: It was a part of 2 chapters, but hardly more than a couple paragraphs total. Point taken though.

I for one hope we don't have to sit through a bunch of desert marching scenes. Between TSA and MBOTF I've had enough for at least one lifetime, I think.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2018, 01:03:05 pm »
Quote from:  Wilshire
I for one hope we don't have to sit through a bunch of desert marching scenes. Between TSA and MBOTF I've had enough for at least one lifetime, I think.

Seconded. Lol.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
    • The Original No-God Apologist
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2018, 02:20:40 pm »

Seconded. Lol.

Nah, the whole book will just be a march across a desert.  This time Carathay.  Pack your canteens boys.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2018, 02:30:22 pm »

Seconded. Lol.

Nah, the whole book will just be a march across a desert.  This time Carathay.  Pack your canteens boys.

D:
I'm not going to pretend like I won't read it, but I would be disappointed by the setting lol. I'd prefer the Mop again - a fraught march through heavy jungle/forest.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2018, 04:22:11 pm »
Battle of the Teutoburg Forest analogue would be incredibly cool.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

natanaj

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2018, 03:43:39 pm »
Well if it can be anything, then i want the projenitors to send another ship to earth filled with inchoroi. I was not satisfied with how aurang's arc ended, and araux is a coward.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2018, 01:47:39 am »
Well if it can be anything, then i want the projenitors to send another ship to earth filled with inchoroi. I was not satisfied with how aurang's arc ended, and araux is a coward.

Well, they were just tools ( weapons ) after all ... can't expect too much of them. Inchoroi don't kill people, humans do.
It's me, Dave, open up, I've got the stuff

natanaj

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2018, 10:42:16 pm »

Well, they were just tools ( weapons ) after all ... can't expect too much of them. Inchoroi don't kill people, humans do.
True. I was just dissapointed with Aurangs death i guess. Kindof wish Aurax died and he lived.

Maybe Aurax will be more interesting in the No-God though.