• 92 Replies

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2017, 11:45:03 pm »
Yes, TH, that's how it works. It is very minor and something revealed on another forum by Wert. Wert reviews Bakker's books and I'm sure there is a thread here with the stuff he did leading up to TGO on the Nonman mansions.

[ spoiler ].......text....[/ spoiler ]
That's how you hide a spoiler, just remove the spaces on both ends of the word spoiler.

ETA: Madness and banhammer Wilshire will amend our post and spoilers, because we are idiots...some of us. I don't know how he got TUC in the spoiler. He was just making the spoiler clearer.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 11:47:14 pm by MSJ »
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2017, 12:15:17 am »
TH, Wert (Wertzone) and Pat (from Pat's fantasy hotlist), have both received a ARC. I expect their review shortly. But, from Wert's comment at Westeros just a bit ago, it seems like any review will be very short and non-descriptive. From all the info he's given, TUC is itself one huge giant info dump. He said theories will be confirmed and many will go down in flames.

As Madness mentioned in another thread, ARC's will start being sent out and be available on EBay. Then there will be a few who get lucky and get their hands on one. At least we did last year.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 04, 2017, 01:03:18 am »
Ah, thank you! I've already pre-ordered/paid for my copy from Amazon, says it's being released in July.

Not to get all sappy on everyone - but Bakker's descriptions of the "first" apocalypse have effected me, his description of horror is so much more powerful than anything I've read, including Herbert and Simmons, which screams a lot. The dragons dropping from the skies, snatching up humans was really horrifying to me. This idea of humans being so defenseless to something not human ... at risk of exposing my species conceit, but it's unnatural. Bakker takes the next step of a species overwhelming us, not just a mono a mono fight ( like a single human with no tools/weapons being overcome by a tiger for example ), but all of humanity, "naked", before something so powerful. And the terribleness of magic ( that fight with the Slvendi in the first book was just frightening, imagining people "walking" into the sky with the light shining out of the mouths and eyes ) - the mass MURDER of such a thing. This is the most plausible take on fantasy I've read - for dragons and magic would be the stuff of horror, not some interesting cool thing. Other books have people riding dragons and teaching magic in schools to children ... no ... it would be a fucked up nightmare.
It's me, Dave, open up, I've got the stuff

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 04, 2017, 02:11:24 am »
TH, we are indeed kindred spirits. I've mentioned many times on this forum about when the sorcerers stepped into the skies at that same point as horrifying. It was the first time reading a book that I got scared. Scared isn't the right word though, it definitely made me know I was reading something truly different.

So many parts of the book touch a part of your soul and it sticks. The epilogue of TWP when they are questioning about "WHO ARE THE DUNYAIN?", is gut wrenching. When Cnaüir rapes Proyas, I was at once jubilant and sick to my stomach. Bakker is like no other author I've ever read, point blank. It makes finding something to read quite the challenge.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 02:14:01 am by MSJ »

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
    • The Original No-God Apologist
« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2017, 11:28:57 am »
We always go back and forth on this and I don't think we'll really ever get an actual answer to the question though.

Eh, all in good fun. Actually while I think my side of the argument is more of what I want. There's clues there, but I dont think we're to far apart to begin with. Its a little detail that's seperates why he is doing what he's doing.

Yeah, I think it's mostly semantics, and we've both probably done more to clarify each other's position than anything else.

It will be neat to see how it really shakes out in the end and how much we get by way of actual answers.

TTT is still my favorite of the series, so I am fully expecting this one to be my next favorite, if not supplant TTT.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2017, 02:15:27 pm »
I kinda agree on the TTT simply because it's quite challenging ( or so it appears, I'm no writer ) to end a story with the same intrigue/intensity of the lead up - SO many authors fail to end a story well. Many seem quite good at spinning a tale, but the ending is weak ( for lack of a better term, unsatisfactory ). The end of TTT was the rare gem well surpassing my expectations. It was exciting, fun, rich with cool detail, a panic from beginning to end. That said, either I'm just getting more and more into the story or me thinks his writing is getting better and better. He's doing a better job of "screwing us over" by dropping a story line at a panic moment only to go to another thread for which that turns into an omg moment and goes back and you're like, fuck you, Bakker! Awesome stuff ...

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #51 on: May 04, 2017, 02:31:07 pm »
I happen to think he's only gotten better over time somehow :).
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 04, 2017, 02:36:05 pm »
Well, one of the things I've always found that makes his writing beautiful (and him explaining this only made me realize it. I always liked it but could never put it into words.), is how when the action picks up, he slows down and it becomes poetic. With most authors its frantic.

Moosehunter

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 04, 2017, 03:33:12 pm »
TH, we are indeed kindred spirits. I've mentioned many times on this forum about when the sorcerers stepped into the skies at that same point as horrifying. It was the first time reading a book that I got scared. Scared isn't the right word though, it definitely made me know I was reading something truly different.

So many parts of the book touch a part of your soul and it sticks. The epilogue of TWP when they are questioning about "WHO ARE THE DUNYAIN?", is gut wrenching. When Cnaüir rapes Proyas, I was at once jubilant and sick to my stomach. Bakker is like no other author I've ever read, point blank. It makes finding something to read quite the challenge.

Cnauir raped Proyas?

I remember him raping Conphas and i remember Kelhus raping Proyas. Tell me i haven't missed something that important.

Ah, thank you! I've already pre-ordered/paid for my copy from Amazon, says it's being released in July.

Not to get all sappy on everyone - but Bakker's descriptions of the "first" apocalypse have effected me, his description of horror is so much more powerful than anything I've read, including Herbert and Simmons, which screams a lot. The dragons dropping from the skies, snatching up humans was really horrifying to me. This idea of humans being so defenseless to something not human ... at risk of exposing my species conceit, but it's unnatural. Bakker takes the next step of a species overwhelming us, not just a mono a mono fight ( like a single human with no tools/weapons being overcome by a tiger for example ), but all of humanity, "naked", before something so powerful. And the terribleness of magic ( that fight with the Slvendi in the first book was just frightening, imagining people "walking" into the sky with the light shining out of the mouths and eyes ) - the mass MURDER of such a thing. This is the most plausible take on fantasy I've read - for dragons and magic would be the stuff of horror, not some interesting cool thing. Other books have people riding dragons and teaching magic in schools to children ... no ... it would be a fucked up nightmare.

I too have never felt horror in the way Bakker imparts it to us.

When facing the Sranc, mankind is aware that if they lose they won't just die. They will die screaming while being mated with in every orifice and wound.
It's a horrific thought and the end of  TWP (I think) has always stuck with me. The men of the tribe kneeling on the ground while the Sranc (and Aurang)are defiling their loved ones...........knowing they are next.

I also really felt the horror of the Non-Men was portrayed extremely effectively in TGO. Living with the knowledge that you have forgotten all that you had once loved. Your choices to remain ignorant or to perpetrate some horrific act in order to remember your past (and thus no longer being that which you remember). The carvings and sculptures on every surface of the Mansion, depicting great deeds but between every epic scene were thousands of images of small and intimate family moments.

It's no accident that Bakker knows how to press our buttons given his primary occupation.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 04, 2017, 03:43:22 pm »
Welcome to the forum, Moosehunter. Way to make an entrance ;)
One of the other conditions of possibility.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 04, 2017, 03:57:15 pm »
Shit Moose, yes Conphas in TTT I believe. To teach him a lesson. Thanks for the correction.

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 04, 2017, 04:01:09 pm »
Well said, MSJ - the confrontation between Mo and K in the end epic battle of TTT was simply delicious - that conversation/debate going on in the middle of the crazed destruction of Shimeh was the long awaited highlight of the series at that point ... and it was slow, Bakker taking his time, leaving nothing out - perfection.

Agree with Madness - he's getting better and better, each book besting the previous ( thwarting, so far, Sick Boy's Unifying Theory of Life ... ). But TTT was particularly special in that it delivered. I was a wreck finishing TTT, laid to waste, dazed but wild with a child's like fun/joy. Almost like I was there ...

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #57 on: May 04, 2017, 04:10:35 pm »
I was a wreck finishing TTT, laid to waste, dazed but wild with a child's like fun/joy.

Now that's a book endorsement ;).

EDIT: Oh, shit.

Welcome to the Second Apocalypse, Moosehunter!
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 04:45:00 pm by Madness »
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Moosehunter

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 04, 2017, 09:01:19 pm »
Shit Moose, yes Conphas in TTT I believe. To teach him a lesson. Thanks for the correction.

I didn't mean for it to sound like a correction. I actually thought i may have missed something and that's always a concern with this series.

Thanks for the welcomes guys. I have stopped by and lurked many times over the years and find here is the only place to really get in depth discussion (and wild conspiracies) online.

This is actually my favourite series of all time and i wish someone would do a youtube channel like Secrets of the Citadel (ASOIAF) for our friends in Earwa.
I cannot wait for TUC and many of the answers we have been seeking. At the same time i hope we don't get everything. This world works because we have actually learned so little and had to really earn what we have.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #59 on: May 04, 2017, 09:45:56 pm »
This is actually my favourite series of all time and i wish someone would do a youtube channel like Secrets of the Citadel (ASOIAF) for our friends in Earwa.
I cannot wait for TUC and many of the answers we have been seeking. At the same time i hope we don't get everything. This world works because we have actually learned so little and had to really earn what we have.

There are the TSACasts, though we haven't released an episode since before TGO's release sadly.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer