• 68 Replies

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2016, 09:07:58 pm »
Yea, what H said. I didn't mean sorcery was needed to obtain the Absolute. He'll,  koringhus proves that wrong in how he come about the Absolute with never uttering a Cant. I was just saying that by limiting knowledge the Dûnyain hurt their cause to grasp the Absolute. They were missing pieces to the puzzle, so to say.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

gtownwr

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2016, 05:08:06 pm »
For me, the saddest emotionally I have felt in the entire series was when Esmi found Thelli dead and ranted to the gods that it doesn't hurt Kellhus at all when they do this, it only hurts her.  That really struck a chord with me.  But I wasn't appalled, per se, just empathetic.  Very good writing there.  The most appalling is probably a tie between the Kellhus-Proyas rape scene or the fact that every one is damned beside Mimara, and I don't really even like Mimara that much.

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2016, 09:12:07 pm »
The final fate of Ishterebinth
Saubon's damnation
The Survivor's last days
Serwa and Moenghus at auction.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2016, 07:31:37 am »
The most appalling is probably a tie between the Kellhus-Proyas rape scene or the fact that every one is damned beside Mimara, and I don't really even like Mimara that much.

Koringhus isn't damned he went and joined the Absolute and the Eye approved. Also, since we've been seeing glimpses of people and their judgment through the JE, it isn't like we have a huge sample size. Some sorcerers, Dûnyain, A Nonman Quya, The Most Violent of All Men and a squad of scalpers. You pretty much expect them all to be damned.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

JRControl

• Momurai
  • Kellhus lied, Harambe died
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2016, 11:29:02 am »
Scales are also heavily tilted in way of damnation too.
“Because you’re a pious man born to a world unable to fathom your piety. But all that changes with me, Akka. The old food pyramids have outlived the age of their intention, and I have come to reveal the new. I am the Slimmest Path, and I say that you are not damned.”

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2016, 05:09:10 pm »
The Eye can approve of specific acts of overall damned people. I wouldn't write Koringhus' damnation off.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2016, 03:04:03 am »
The Eye can approve of specific acts of overall damned people. I wouldn't write Koringhus' damnation off.

Check out @Happy Ent's post over at Westeros, he seems to agree with me. He just has more evidence and puts it so eloquently. I guess you could be right, but my interpretation of the text says he was redeemed, thus saved from damnation.

gtownwr

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2016, 02:14:58 pm »
I meant "everyone" in a hyperbolic sense.  A more accurate statement would be "It appears that nearly everyone is damned and there is a strong chance that there is no salvation at all, just joining the absolute."  To me, that is a very hopeless and depressing life.  Life sucks, and then it just gets worse.  Hoping Kellhus really does destroy the gods and make things better.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2016, 10:50:20 pm »
I meant "everyone" in a hyperbolic sense.  A more accurate statement would be "It appears that nearly everyone is damned and there is a strong chance that there is no salvation at all, just joining the absolute."  To me, that is a very hopeless and depressing life.  Life sucks, and then it just gets worse.  Hoping Kellhus really does destroy the gods and make things better.

Yea, you're right. The system is set up for damnation's sake, it's very hard to avoid. I just mentioned what I did because we truly don't have a huge sample size. I'd like her to gaze with the JE on a farmer or some regular soul like that and see what it shows.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 21, 2016, 06:33:58 pm »
Reading TJE just now, Mimara does mention that "Good men shine brighter than good women" - this seems an offhand indication that she has seen people that aren't damned, though she wasn't sure exactly what it was during that passage.

One of the other conditions of possibility.

Bolivar

• Great Name
  • The Articulate Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 21, 2016, 07:11:07 pm »
Reading TJE just now, Mimara does mention that "Good men shine brighter than good women" - this seems an offhand indication that she has seen people that aren't damned, though she wasn't sure exactly what it was during that passage.
Snakes are saved too.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 21, 2016, 07:41:29 pm »
Snakes are saved too.
Well, they shine bright, compared to pigs. Whether that means saved or otherwise is your call.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

JRControl

• Momurai
  • Kellhus lied, Harambe died
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 21, 2016, 08:04:34 pm »
I wonder about the wales though and great apes.
“Because you’re a pious man born to a world unable to fathom your piety. But all that changes with me, Akka. The old food pyramids have outlived the age of their intention, and I have come to reveal the new. I am the Slimmest Path, and I say that you are not damned.”

Cynical Cat

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 25, 2016, 12:55:02 pm »
Depends on the what the gods have decided.  Those that judge salvation and damnation are not good.

Truth Shines

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 29, 2016, 03:18:55 am »
The whale-mothers thing reminded me a lot of daemoncubala from Warhammer 40k

So much heresy... :)

Is there any fanfiction out there where another alien race hunts the Inchoroi across the cosmos for their wickedness and finally finds them in Earwa and deliver some righteous macro cannon ammo and lance strike?  No?