The PreFAQ

• 88 Replies

Royce

• Old Name
  • The Resplendent
  • There are no facts,only interpretations- Nietzsche
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 12, 2013, 11:57:37 am »
I have nothing to apologize for for being a fan. Neither does anyone else. Nor should our recommendations constantly be disclaimers about difficulty and graphic gratuity. I refuse to use the FAQ as propaganda that makes a case for reading the books rather than being a helpful guide

Well said. I am so grateful that I knew nothing of this series, the author, other books he has written etc, when I started reading it. Heck, I had barely read any fantasy at all.

I am grateful to Bakker because PON reminded me how rewarding books can be if they do not underestimate the reader. Bakker turned me into a
hardcore reader again(was 31 when I read PON) Read much in my early twenties but lost interest, and my fokus was elsewhere. That he made me pick up on my reading again, is something I am eternally grateful for.

Personally I do not like to know much about the books I read, the element of surprise is in my case essential.
Anyways, teens today grow up with double anal penetration for breakfast, so I would not worry to much about the shock factor in these books.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #76 on: December 12, 2013, 12:59:02 pm »
Lol - and you fit in the DVDA. Gall, Royce ;).

When I was younger I used to have a standard mix of authors, a constantly growing collection, whose books I would check out regularly in books stores and libraries. As far as my brain is concerned I'm a cyborg as internet activity has been a part of me since I was 11 and somehow I never thought to use it to search out book communities, read up on authors, etc, until I found Bakker (and read the PON as a whole after all the books had been released and realized that there was the Three-Seas forum ;)). But realistically, I was tapering on my fiction reading at that point... I still look but it takes something nearing Bakker's conscientiousness to really grab me now.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #77 on: April 25, 2014, 03:43:23 pm »
Don't know if this thread is still ongoing--maybe a note about abbreviations for new people?  TTT, TWP, the IF, etc.  Maybe a definition of nerdaneling?  Or maybe not, is finding out like a token in-grouping?  Also, if someone (I don't) had the details on the ROH affair that might be good to put in there.  I bet some folks come here on the fence about Bakker and something that sounded sober and not too Bakker-fanatic motivated could be nice.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 25, 2014, 04:26:51 pm »
ROH?

A list of commonly used definitions and phrases might be a good idea.

Where would we put this topic if it ever came to be? News/Announcements? That board is all stickies anyway
One of the other conditions of possibility.

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 25, 2014, 08:27:22 pm »
ROH?

A list of commonly used definitions and phrases might be a good idea.

Where would we put this topic if it ever came to be? News/Announcements? That board is all stickies anyway

The Requires Only Hate affair!  I have no idea if it should get a write up, I was only vaguely aware of it, but it seemed like a big deal to some folks.  I assumed the abbreviations list would just be another Q/A in an FAQ?

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 26, 2014, 12:07:57 am »
I'm still completely in the dark. Oh well :P

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 26, 2014, 02:23:01 pm »
It was the person who accused Bakker of sexism and Bakker seemed to go into overdrive to respond.  I think.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 26, 2014, 03:28:19 pm »
Oh that was probably about when I gave up on TPB. Couldn't stand the idiocy.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #83 on: April 27, 2014, 01:53:54 pm »
I'm not sure it is an issue so much as people make it an issue. People always seem to somehow paint Bakker a certain way during the Vox Day/ROH skirmishes yet they garner so much negative criticism on their own.

To be honest, including that in an FAQ sounds redundant to me. Don't think about a white elephant.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Cüréthañ

• Moderator Extraordinaire
  • Old Name
  • Pendulous Fallacy
  • Wizard IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 29, 2014, 01:30:24 am »
A quick overview of the ROH (requires only hate) 'debate'.

A blogger (Cracked Moon) picks up on a popular thread topic regarding Bakker and Women, turns it into a review/article. (see Bakker and Women on Westeros for more).

CM's underlying argument is that Bakker's fictional representation of women and a patriarchal social structure reflects misogynist views by the author and that his work is written in such a way as to appeal primarily to people who agree with such views and attitudes.

CM doesn't read TSA (can't get past the molestation and murder in prologue) so just picks quotes that illustrate her point.

Bakker is silly enough to get involved.
Trolls and lols intensify.

Personally, I disagree with moral criticism of art.  Nabakov, Hemmingway and Dostoevski wrote some fucked up shit too - doesn't mean you shouldn't read it.
Retracing his bloody footprints, the Wizard limped on.

Royce

• Old Name
  • The Resplendent
  • There are no facts,only interpretations- Nietzsche
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 29, 2014, 09:04:12 am »
Personally, I disagree with moral criticism of art.  Nabakov, Hemmingway and Dostoevski wrote some fucked up shit too - doesn't mean you shouldn't read it

+1. Great art pushes the limit of morals to the point where people get disgusted, and maybe some will reflect more deeply on why they are disgusted, and then find flaws in their own moral reasoning. That is a good thing.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 02, 2014, 01:55:15 am »
Thanks for the clarity Curethan. That is exactly when I stopped reading TPB comments. Like I said, idiocy all around.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 17, 2014, 03:07:45 pm »
Going to revive this once again, in case our Disseminating Bakker actually works.

I'd like to link a spoiler-free FAQ into our "Who are the Dunyain" board so as to direct people who are more or less completely ignorant of the series to a place that might answers questions without spoiling the book.

Baring further input, I'll go ahead and construct it myself based on the feedback received so far in this topic.

Answers will be topical, geared towards answering basic question about the series as a whole  rather than addressing specific questions about plot points, and  designed to convince people to read TDTCB.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 03:10:01 pm by Wilshire »

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #88 on: June 18, 2014, 12:45:19 pm »
I can't wait to see your attempt. Such a task has boggled me.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer