Jesse Bullington

• 2 Replies

Conditioned

• Emwama
  • Instructions: blather, rinse, repeat if necessary.
    • View Profile
« on: April 28, 2013, 02:38:39 pm »
Anybody here familiar with Jesse Bullington? I haven't really seen his works discussed and I've been fairly impressed with all three of his novels. They are a different sort of historical fantasy, nearly as dark as Bakker, but the hilarity of some of the scenes makes it feel a little lighter. Anyway I just finished his newest book The Folly of the World and thought I would mention it here as I think it is definitely worth checking out. His first book, The Sad Tale of the Brothers Grossbart was also quite good, with his second novel The Enterprise of Death, being my least favorite of the three. They are also all stand-alone novels which is something of a rarity in fantasy these days. LoL, I'm sure Kal would have a fucking coronary should he ever read these judging from his reactions to Bakker  ;D.

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 09:13:31 am »
I have only read Brothers Grossbart and really liked it.  Had an Abercrombie feel to it--fun and rolling along.  But it also had this weird thing like Prince of Thorns (which I haven't finished yet).  Both books start off with a bang trying to make the reader morally disapprove of the heroes' actions and then it goes onto have the heroes be much better.  Do not know what to make of that.

TheCulminatingApe

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2017, 08:57:07 pm »
I have only read Brothers Grossbart and really liked it.  Had an Abercrombie feel to it--fun and rolling along.

I thought Brothres Grossbart was great.  The subsequent books two seemed to be trying far two hard IMHO
Sez who?
Seswatha, that's who.