[TGO SPOILERS] Kellhus/Bakker

• 22 Replies

Yellow

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2016, 06:22:04 pm »
I seem to remember him along the rights about 5 years ago as well, but it fell through. Or an I imagining that?

You are the fist that beats us.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2016, 06:38:40 pm »
The rights for what?

Typically that type of thing is on a limited time frame. He basically gets paid to say they have the first spot in line. Should they choose not to make anything, he can sell them again (he keeps the money).

So, if it was 5 years ago, its probably no longer under contract.

I was specifically referring to Bakker's TPB post a few weeks ago where he said that he just sold PoN TV rights.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Yellow

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2016, 07:10:11 pm »
Yeah, the TV rights (post above should have said "selling" not "along", autocorrect fail). Could have sworn he's been down this path before and it fell through. Might be confusing it with some other series, though. Rights get sold all the time and usually nothing happens.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2016, 08:09:05 pm »
Certainly. He did mention in another post/comment, I think this summer, that he was close to a deal with Total War video game franchise that fell through.

I think what's key this time is that the rights are sold and he got a check, which will hopefully fund another book :) . Just heresay. Maybe he didn't get paid, what do I know?
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Callan S.

• Old Name
  • Warrior-Profit
    • View Profile
    • Philosopher Gamer
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2016, 11:53:18 pm »
From reviews I've read of the SA, a lot of people slate it because of the status of women in the books. Never mind that it's an accurate reflection of the way the world used to be, and still is in some places.
And they argue 'But there were seamstresses! Self employed women! Focus on that!'. It's like an argument to look away at how women were mistreated and just look at ourselves as if it's been seamstresses all the way down. Which is kind of an anti feminist way to think about it - as if there was never a problem or to avoid looking at the problematic history.

On the other hand I wouldn't mind some seamstress depiction used primarily to show it's the exception to the problematic rule.

But maybe that'd require depicting the Kianene side more than they get, eh? :) Since we seem to be following the bad guys, mostly...

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2016, 06:14:03 am »
The show may not be produced. If the show is produced, the odds of it getting multiple seasons is low. Even if it gets multliple seasons...Bakker is not GRRM. He has to write for his livelihood. 'He can't afford to put it off for a decade.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2016, 01:44:15 am »
The Gurm's pre-GOT stuff was mostly short stories back in the 60's and 70's.

I'm really skeptical SA will ever have broad appeal. Which is fine. Not everything can or should.

I've said it and I'm sticking to it. It might well take decades but TSA and Bakker will get it's due. I've read A LOT of fantasy and like you said there is nothing else like it. The world-building, myatery, intrigue, plot, great characters and layers of revelation will make it a Classic one day. Its a gut feeling I've had since finishing TTT. One of the greatest endings to any book I've ever read, that has you begging for more. For what will happen to these great characters and where will this enticing story go. Its bound to happen trust me.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2016, 03:18:46 am »
If any character is some kind of author avatar it's Achamian.

Too true--all of Akka's faults add up to give him extra-judgment; self-efface with one hand, blind brain with the other.  BUT I'M NOT COMPLAINING

But I like Hogman's point!  I think there is an analogue between Bakker and Kellhus because Kellhus appears to be the prime manipulator while RSB is the absolute manipulator for Earwa.  If Kellhus ends up dangling from someone else's strings, then that person will be the 'Bakker' author/god likeythingy.