[TGO Spoilers] I finished the book, confused about something.

• 40 Replies

Darknesse

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« on: July 11, 2016, 12:22:03 am »
So.. Spoilers coming.

At the end of Chapter 16, whose "sickening humanity" is he referring to? I thought it was the WLW but I wasnt sure upon reread.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 12:23:51 am by Lenny Owens »

CondYoke

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2016, 03:11:06 am »
Yes, I read it as the WLW.
(Spoiler) What I am wondering about is the ambiguity of who survives- he is now "bereft of all he had loved and known," reads to me that Esmi is gone- or is it just major cliffhanger?

CondYoke

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2016, 03:19:10 am »
I'm just impressed there is only "one thing" with which you were confused- what a read, but also what an infobomb! There is so much in this book to unpack, to revisit, and to ponder- The Tall? Viri, and Nonmen before the fall? Dunyain and the insights of The Survivor? Not to mention the plot... And the entrance in the last chapter...
wow. Mind blown.

Ciogli

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2016, 08:44:14 am »
The Tall was unexpected, in the psalms of whatever it spoke of Ishroi heroes who never stopped growing, I thought it was an artistic convention, but I guess not. Oiruinas was spectacular in his short appearance, I cannot wait to see him in Battle, immune from sorcery. It always seemed strange the way the Bashrag were said to be crafted to contend with Ishroi, but after seeing the Tall it makes sense. The description of him crushing the throat of a Bashrag one hand was jaw dropping.
The world holds no terrors for me, I stand naked as the falling sword, I am the Terror.

Tyrin

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2016, 10:06:09 am »
The Tall was unexpected, in the psalms of whatever it spoke of Ishroi heroes who never stopped growing, I thought it was an artistic convention, but I guess not.

I thought much the same, though I guess if we believe the story of Ciogli breaking Wutteat's neck then we should've already known that giant Ishroi ain't nothing to fuck with.

Also, iirc Aurang (thinking back on how much stronger he used to be) remembers wrestling and killing Ciogli, and Ciogli himself was the "only one who could throw Oinuras from his feet", so I guess Tekne steroids are pretty damn good.

Ciogli

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2016, 12:10:37 pm »
In that same Atrocity Tale it stated that my namesake was killed by an impossible arrow through his helmet eyeslit, it might have been another Tall. I wonder how many Ishroi were Falls, none in the mansion fit this description.

On another note I wonder if the Sclvendi have the Gnosis, before they had no sorcerers, this seems to a adaptation of CUS, and if they are allied with the Consult, with a skinspy for over a generation no less. It would make sense for the Consult to tutor them with the Gnosis. They are not jealous of it like the Mandate, as Aurang said these are new days. Also the skinspy seemed like it might love CUS or something approximating it, it was strange how bound it was to him for so long. They seemed like a couple?
The world holds no terrors for me, I stand naked as the falling sword, I am the Terror.

MisterGuyMan

• The Afflicted Few
  • Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2016, 07:28:45 pm »
What were thoughts on the WLW/Kellhus fight?  There's a lot of confusion there for me as to what happened.  As I read it, I thought Esmi tried to kill Kellhus by throwing a Chorae at him.

CondYoke

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2016, 09:36:01 pm »
I took  that as the white luck warrior replaying Esmi throwing a peach to him earlier. The chorae is supposed to come from the ceiling, worked loose by the quake; there are several embedded in it. What I don't get is if Kelmomas somehow affected the white luck, causing Kelhus to see the WLW.

W00tard

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2016, 12:50:41 am »
It seemed to me that as soon as Kelmomas cried mommy the WLW broke.  He never saw Kelmomas in any of his visions at that point in time... so the causal stream he followed was contradicted...  his reality became contradiction and it seemed to literally blow his mind, judging from the blood coming out of his ears.

My question to add to all of this is what was the point of telling us that Kelmomas and the WLW shared a dream of the WLW stabbing Kelmomas in the eye while he hid.

CondYoke

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2016, 02:49:48 am »
I don't remember the WLW having that dream, just Kel. 

Seomus

• Emwama
  • Author
    • View Profile
    • JMD Reid's Blog
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2016, 12:46:54 am »
Why does Kelmomas stand outside the sight of the gods? How else could his being there have been unexpected? He's like the no-god, at least to the WLW. I was thinking that the entire time reading Kel spying on WLW.
“A non-writing writer is a monster courting insanity."
--Franz Kafka

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2016, 12:54:24 am »
Why does Kelmomas stand outside the sight of the gods? How else could his being there have been unexpected? He's like the no-god, at least to the WLW. I was thinking that the entire time reading Kel spying on WLW.

I took it because he was a Narinder of Ajokli. He received Unerring Grace, therefore he was cloaked by Ajokli against Yatwer.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

Seomus

• Emwama
  • Author
    • View Profile
    • JMD Reid's Blog
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2016, 01:02:46 am »

I took it because he was a Narinder of Ajokli. He received Unerring Grace, therefore he was cloaked by Ajokli against Yatwer.

Poor Kel, all his sneaking around isn't because he's amazing, but because he's narinder. He can't take credit for anything now.
“A non-writing writer is a monster courting insanity."
--Franz Kafka

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2016, 01:26:56 am »
Lol. It's just how I read it. From the time he killed the beetle, Ajokli took that as an offering. Also, I believe Ajokli has his own intentions outside of the other Gods.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

CondYoke

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2016, 01:50:11 am »
I too read it that he was the agent of Ajokli, but this theory is interesting too;
"Why does Kelmomas stand outside the sight of the gods? How else could his being there have been unexpected? He's like the no-god, at least to the WLW. I was thinking that the entire time reading Kel spying on WLW."
He is a twin, whose pair is dead- maybe that is essential for God-blindness, or 'graced', or becoming a god (or whatever Kelmomas is)? Hey, was Cnaiur a twin?  ;)