• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
« on: June 08, 2017, 11:49:20 am »
Invisibilia

Invisibilia is Latin for "the invisible things." We explore the invisible forces that shape human behavior — things like ideas, beliefs, assumptions and emotions. The show is co-hosted by two of NPR's award-winning journalists — Alix Spiegel and Hanna Rosin — who have roots at This American Life and The Atlantic. In past seasons, the show was also hosted by Lulu Miller, who has roots in Radiolab, and is currently on leave writing a book.

We weave incredible human stories with fascinating new psychological and brain science, in the hopes that after listening, you will come to see new possibilities for how to think, behave and live.

Invisibilia has explored whether our thoughts are related to our inner wishes, our fears and how they shape our actions, and our need for belonging and how it shapes our identity and fuels our emotions over a lifetime. We investigate ways everyday objects can shape our worldviews, the effects we have on each other's well-being, and the various lenses we don.

Pretty interesting listens there.  Certainly implications for lots of things that Bakker touches on and his BBT.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 12:34:45 pm »
I've heard a couple, its quite interesting.

Also, quasi related for you folks that live in and around the Appalachian mountains, this book:

Hillbilly Elegy: A Memoir of a Family and Culture in Crisis

is apparently a pretty extraordinary work and does a great deal explaining the cultural history of the area. Always interesting to see how your history shapes you.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 12:45:58 pm »
When I get a bit more time (i.e. probably never) I am going to try to listen to the first couple seasons.  Right now though I am just making it through season 3.

The book seems interesting.  I should really brush up on a lot more "modern" history, really.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 06:14:37 pm »
I've heard a couple, its quite interesting.

Also, quasi related for you folks that live in and around the Appalachian mountains, this book:

Hillbilly Elegy: A Memoir of a Family and Culture in Crisis

is apparently a pretty extraordinary work and does a great deal explaining the cultural history of the area. Always interesting to see how your history shapes you.

I know a little and thanks for the rec! :)

In general, a lot of Irish, Scottish and Germanic folk settled the unsettable area as a way to avoid persecution and prejudice and have a community of their own. Tough folk that originally settled the hills. And, we still hold many of their values as far as community is concerned. We help one another out like they are family, always. You are taught to be that way. And, I will say, we don't like much change. Change has come and people adapt, just here it takes a little longer. We are very much settled in our ways.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,