• 130 Replies

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: September 02, 2014, 05:32:19 pm »
Meppa as Moenghus' father is an interesting idea. I'd be way more satisfied with that explanation than having Moe come back in any way. A special dunyain for every generation also fits, though wouldn't Meppa need to be much older if that was the case? I doubt he would have aged gracefully in the desert.

Foundation/Second Foundation crackpot, the Dunyain are actually 2 sects developed to maximize the extreme ends of sorcery, Intellect and Emotion. None but the highest up know that there is no-Dunyain sect running around. Meppa is the strongest of the emotion side, Kellhus the intellect. Kellhus was supposed to be female and breed with the Meppa stock and become the kwisatz haderach. He's one generation early....
One of the other conditions of possibility.

locke

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 02, 2014, 07:00:19 pm »
Meppa as Moenghus' father is an interesting idea. I'd be way more satisfied with that explanation than having Moe come back in any way. A special dunyain for every generation also fits, though wouldn't Meppa need to be much older if that was the case? I doubt he would have aged gracefully in the desert.

Foundation/Second Foundation crackpot, the Dunyain are actually 2 sects developed to maximize the extreme ends of sorcery, Intellect and Emotion. None but the highest up know that there is no-Dunyain sect running around. Meppa is the strongest of the emotion side, Kellhus the intellect. Kellhus was supposed to be female and breed with the Meppa stock and become the kwisatz haderach. He's one generation early....
White hair.

All typ0s courtesy of Samsung.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 02, 2014, 07:01:33 pm »
Well there ya go. Obviously my memory for detail is poor at best. The shoe fits.

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #93 on: September 05, 2014, 07:03:34 pm »

Neat!  Moenghus himself was sent for???

Ciogli

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 07, 2014, 08:35:23 pm »
A thing that struck me about God Emperor was the ghola of Duncan Idaho, his constant whining throughout the book really annoyed me. By the end I really couldn't stand him as a character, and the main reason he helped Siona assassinate Leto, and on his wedding day no less was not for some high minded purpose like freedom or other, but because Hwi Noree would not leave Leto for him. And then to top it off he savagely kills Nayla for following his orders when it led to Hwi's death, because he did not know that Hwi was in the royal cart with Leto. This sounds suspiciously like a character from Earwa, Achamian leaves the service of Kellhus and becomes a hermit for two decades because he lost Esmenet. And Kellhus says that he will kneel before him at the end, if Akka actually succeeds in getting to Kellhus there might be a confrontation. 
The world holds no terrors for me, I stand naked as the falling sword, I am the Terror.

Francis Buck

« Reply #95 on: September 07, 2014, 10:11:50 pm »
A thing that struck me about God Emperor was the ghola of Duncan Idaho, his constant whining throughout the book really annoyed me. By the end I really couldn't stand him as a character, and the main reason he helped Siona assassinate Leto, and on his wedding day no less was not for some high minded purpose like freedom or other, but because Hwi Noree would not leave Leto for him. And then to top it off he savagely kills Nayla for following his orders when it led to Hwi's death, because he did not know that Hwi was in the royal cart with Leto. This sounds suspiciously like a character from Earwa, Achamian leaves the service of Kellhus and becomes a hermit for two decades because he lost Esmenet. And Kellhus says that he will kneel before him at the end, if Akka actually succeeds in getting to Kellhus there might be a confrontation. 

I do think something along these lines will happen, in particular I believe it very possible that Proyas will serve in a role similar to Nayla (two characters groomed into such devotion by their Living God that they will actually betray them purposefully, on said God's orders). I also think there's a good possibility of Achamian doing something that fucks up Kellhus's plans, only to realize later that doing so was a big mistake.

Aural

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 28, 2015, 12:57:39 pm »
Nice discussion, all. I think with the Dûnyain Bakker might have combined the Bene Gesserit and the Tleilaxu. That’s all I’ve got.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 28, 2015, 01:46:38 pm »
Not the mentat? Though, I guess a mentat would be fairly unimpressive next to a gesserit/Tleilaxu offspring.

Aural

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 28, 2015, 01:57:16 pm »
Then it’s all three... The BG for the breeding program, the Mentat for the abilities, and the Tleilax for the Axlotl tanks.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 28, 2015, 04:29:17 pm »
The Tleilaxu were masters of new science and technological advancement. I can't decide if the Dunyain would fall into that category (aside from the tanks of course, and the mysterious absence of dunyain women).

EkyannusIII

• Momurai
  • Archduke Ekyannus of Shitlord Hall
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 29, 2015, 12:17:34 am »
Possible Dune reference: 

The Guild Navigators "fold space" in order to briefly associate two points in space as identical, thus permitting instantaneous movement across interstellar distances.  If you read the first scene in which Kellhus translocates, in TTT right after his chat with Papa Moe, it says that Kellhus "sang a cant in three voices."  I think this is a concept of travel akin to that the Navigators use because of the explicit mention of three voices: one to describe the starting point in terms of the onta, another to describe the destination, and the third to momentarily join them so the cantor can move instantly. 

This is all extreme supposition of course.
What is reason, but the blindness of the soul?

R. SCOTT RAP3ZT TERRIBLEZ LOLZ.

if Kellhus was thinking all of this, he's going to freak out when he get's back and Kelmomas is all "i lieks to eatum peeples da"

the whole thing is orchestrated by Kellhus who is wearing a Bashrag as if it were a suit

EkyannusIII

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 29, 2015, 12:19:42 am »
The Tleilaxu were masters of new science and technological advancement. I can't decide if the Dunyain would fall into that category (aside from the tanks of course, and the mysterious absence of dunyain women).

Inchoroi with their womb-Ark and other Tekne artifacts seem a better candidate for both Tleilaxu and Ix.  Mentats and Bene Gesserit are better mapped onto the Dunyain.

Given that the Ixians
(click to show/hide)

if Kellhus was thinking all of this, he's going to freak out when he get's back and Kelmomas is all "i lieks to eatum peeples da"

the whole thing is orchestrated by Kellhus who is wearing a Bashrag as if it were a suit

Aural

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 29, 2015, 04:46:51 am »
Inchoroi with their womb-Ark and other Tekne artifacts seem a better candidate for both Tleilaxu and Ix.  Mentats and Bene Gesserit are better mapped onto the Dunyain.

Well, Bakker has been quoted up-thread as saying that the Inchoroi owe nothing to the Tleilaxu. But I guess you can disagree with that.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 29, 2015, 01:51:28 pm »
Well, Bakker has been quoted up-thread as saying that the Inchoroi owe nothing to the Tleilaxu. But I guess you can disagree with that.
Haha, that is a real shame. I really want to disagree :P.

Bakker wasn't much of a fan of the series past Children of Dune, so maybe while subconsciously writing a homage to the Tlelaxu via Inchoroi, he consciously rebels against the idea, and is in fact unaware of the connection.

Disregarding all that, I do tend to agree that the Inchoroi are better candidates than the Dunyain. BG/Mentat definitely fits the Dunyain.

EkyannusIII

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 29, 2015, 10:17:40 pm »

I suppose that proves me wrong, but I only read the new posts and this thread was started in June 2013. I can't say I feel guilty. ;)