• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« on: March 07, 2014, 09:35:28 pm »
[Edit]
Last Call: Move will happen on/around April 17th. Make your thoughts known.
[/edit]

Hello everyone,

You've either received an e-mail from here (I hope that's what checking "announce topic" does), the mass e-mail I sent out to Second Apocalypse v1 members (forumer), or have stumbled across this topic on your own (or all three - sorry for multiple e-mails from the forumer system).

Regardless, we have some decisions to make as a community.

About a year ago, we had a terrifying experience as the forumer SA suddenly and irrevocably redistributed the boards, making our experience there inconvenient, to say the least. In my haste to continue facilitating our young network, I found a hosting service and worked to salvage the posts from SA v1 but did this without consulting community members for other options.

At the time, aengelas (Sovin Nai, the administrator of Three-Seas) reached out and offered me server space but I already purchased the second-apocalypse domain name and signed my soul for one years worth of hosting with our current service provider.

As mid-April marks the end of this contract, Wilshire admonished me to get my act in gear and I approached aengelas again who graciously repeated his offer. And so I'm very pleased to announce that SA v3 has a backer 8).

But decisions... decisions. Thankfully, due to the work I did manually transferring our posts from SA v1 here to v2, it is very simple to transfer our monument to the new server space (aengelas is already working to do so). However, we have the opportunity (possibly) to move from SMF style forum back to phpBB, or even to other options (aengelas suggested Discourse or that he write his own forum - as he is a programmer in real-life).

Otherwise, there could be very little change from a user-end perspective (no one will have to change their bookmarks, regardless ;)). If we choose to switch from SMF, appearances will change. Also, those few of us registered here may (likely) have to re-register on the new server - still working out the details on this.

Most uncomfortably for all us addicts, aengelas has warned me that there may be some downtime (anywhere from a couple hours to a couple days), while the .com rights transfer to the new server host when we do so.

So...

Please participate in our community and help decide our future, lest you leave Wilshire, aengelas, and I to decide all our fates.

P.S. We're working to make sure we have a Quorum equivalent on SA v3, regardless of which medium we use to communicate.
P.S.S. Our move will not affect the existence of Zombie Three-Seas for those of us who waste hours perusing it.

Thanks so much everyone for making this noosphere the unique experience it has become.

May our dooms be one.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 02:45:06 pm by Wilshire »
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

SovinNai

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 10:36:43 pm »
Hey, SovinNai/Aengelas here. A few additions:

1) Discourse bills itself as a new sort of forum experience. I think it could be interesting, but only if we're all interested in something different. It might not be the best fit. You should take a look for yourself and see what you think.

2) I don't think I have the time at this point to write a forum, fun though it sounds.

I'm glad you all enjoy the Zombie Three-Seas; I remember its days fondly. Thanks to Madness for keeping the community alive with Second Apocalypse.

Sovin

Nil Sertrax

• The Afflicted Few
  • Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 11:19:32 pm »
Not a prolific poster but definitely an avid reader here.  I'm not a huge fan of the layout here so a change to the phpBB or even Discourse would be a welcome change.  Thanks for all your efforts here.  There is a wealth of great info. 

Somnambulist

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Incontinent Water-bearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 11:39:20 pm »
This is literally the only forum I participate in, so whatever form it takes, I'm good with it.  I'll be there!
No whistling on the slog!

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2014, 01:10:43 am »
Thanks all. And I didn't mean to volunteer your programming prowess, Sovin. Welcome to the Second Apocalypse v2, btw :). Nil, you too, even though you've been here :).
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Cüréthañ

• Moderator Extraordinaire
  • Old Name
  • Pendulous Fallacy
  • Wizard IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2014, 02:51:35 am »
It's the content not the format.  Although I realize a group decision would save you the hassle of deciding.  I prefer the new, so Discourse or Aengelas' homebrew get my vote.

Load up the Ark!  Lets find the ultimate solution and save all our souls!

Retracing his bloody footprints, the Wizard limped on.

Alia

• Kijneta
  • Of The Knife
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2014, 06:33:53 am »
As for me, I've always like phpBB, so I would welcome a move to it.
The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom - William Blake

Conditioned

• Emwama
  • Instructions: blather, rinse, repeat if necessary.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2014, 07:53:01 am »
Hey guys, got the e-mail and decided to see what's up... Sorry for reverting back to lurker mode, but with the weather my job has been an absolute cluster-fuck since the beginning of winter (I work in the airport luggage delivery business, so snow-storms tend to directly correlate with higher volumes in business). Anyway, as long as the domain stays the same, I am all for a format change... I have finally figured out how to navigate this one properly but something still seems sort of, I dunno, illogical to me about it's layout or something. Anyway, I had never heard of discourse so I looked it up and it looks pretty sweet so it gets my vote :)

Aural

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2014, 09:02:55 am »
No issues with the current forum, but if you're changing I say go Discourse, only because you've already tried SMF and phpBB.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2014, 01:29:39 pm »
Domain stays the same.

Obviously, I'll be advocating for safeguarding and repopulating with the existing content, which may or may not determine our format.

Interesting opinions. I've never felt issues with learning to navigate different forum layouts; hence, why I feel I'm a bad judge of what is more comfortably intuitive for others.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

EkyannusIII

• Momurai
  • Archduke Ekyannus of Shitlord Hall
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2014, 06:14:27 pm »
I am fine with the software as it is, but I am too indifferent to the various options involve to feel that I can really offer a meaningful opinion.  So: do what you want.

Hypocritical exceptions: 

• The Quorum must be available in the new format.  If it is not
    (click to show/hide)
  • Our PMs from the current format should be preserved if possible or backed up somewhere if not.
  • I find the look of this sort of forum soothing, as compared to the horrible all-white minimalist nightmare of Discourse or the ugly red background of the Forumer site. Something classy please.
What is reason, but the blindness of the soul?

R. SCOTT RAP3ZT TERRIBLEZ LOLZ.

if Kellhus was thinking all of this, he's going to freak out when he get's back and Kelmomas is all "i lieks to eatum peeples da"

the whole thing is orchestrated by Kellhus who is wearing a Bashrag as if it were a suit

Kellais

• Kijneta
  • The True Old Name
  • Damnation Dealer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2014, 07:43:27 pm »
I second Somna. For me it is not the only forum i visit, but i am already very fond of all you gals and guys.
As Madness probably can guess ;) i do want to have a Quorum...that is non-negotiable  ;D So if only one of these variants can provide that, i vote for that variant ;)
I'm trapped in Darkness
Still I reach out for the Stars

"GoT is TSA's less talented but far more successful step-brother" - Wilshire

Royce

• Old Name
  • The Resplendent
  • There are no facts,only interpretations- Nietzsche
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2014, 08:26:23 pm »
Wow. Leveling up are we? ;)  I will go with the flow on this one. As long as people stick around, the format is not a priority.

Triskele

• The Afflicted Few
  • Kijneta
  • Condouchioned
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2014, 09:46:15 pm »
I don't have much to add.  I've become addicted to atrocity, so the destruction of the current format is potentially memorable regardless of the new.

Srancy

• Momurai
  • Unconditioned Shit Herder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2014, 06:24:47 am »
What's a forum?