mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2017, 03:11:17 pm »
The trick, NinthAcolyte, is not minding the details ...

LOL THAT IS TRUE BUT IT MUST BE HARD TO WRITE BECAUSE DIFFERENT READERS MEANS DIFFERENT CONCERNS ABOUT REASONABLE DETAILS

I DON'T MIND THAT THE MAGIC EXPLANATION STOPS AT "METAPHYSICS" BUT I THINK IT DRIVES SOME FOLKS WILD

I WOULD REALLY LIKE MORE ABOUT THE TUSK--THE ACTUAL DOCUMENTS BUT I GET IT THAT BAKKER WANTS IT TRAILING OFF INTO MYSTERY

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2017, 03:08:06 pm »
My point is at some point I think it's reasonable for the author to follow the rule of cool and let it be that. Any author drilling down to the minutiae of everything could well make his work his life ( and unfortunately ours as well ) and nothing else. Better works will have some poor math ( i.e. errant detail not adding up ) in that the author is mindful of the reader, not dragging him/her along to explain every spec of dust in the room. All of Bakker's detail in my opinion is simply a near perfect balance with rich scenery and movement in the story. Don't reggae with this balance by trying to drag him down into the mud of ensuring EVERYTHING makes sense ( not that he would be so weak to submit, but just saying ).

To contradict myself, it is fun to point these things out - nice catch in this case - but not as criticism, but simply to drive interesting conversation and learning - it did not occur to me underground dwellings require ventilation, but seems obvious now that it's brought up. It does seem that the posts here are mere that - something cool to talk about - which is good. To throw in, could be non-men have tolerance for higher CO2 levels and their human slaves adapted over time. Could be air conditioning technology they received from the aliens ( think I recall impressive amounts of machinery laying about in the mansions, but could be a made up memory on my part ).
It's me, Dave, open up, I've got the stuff

NinthAcolyte

• Emwama
  • Turn me on, dead man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2017, 07:18:00 pm »
It occurred to me, Tao, that Nonmen might respirate differently (or not at all). I think that's a less-likely explanation because they metabolize the same food amd drink humans do. Drugs even appear to affect them the same way.

Even if it turned out that they didn't need to breathe at all, though, Cil-Aujas housed tens of thousands of human slaves.
Talk not to me of blasphemy, man; I'd strike the sun if it insulted me.

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2017, 04:08:23 pm »
All true - but remember, Non-man ashe consumption provides impressive ( though addictive ) powers to humans - hint of magic at play here.
It's me, Dave, open up, I've got the stuff