Kellhus a student of the Aporos?

• 34 Replies

Garet Jax

« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2015, 03:52:38 pm »
Not the Consult, Inchoroi.

So either Aurax or Aurang manufactured the Chorae?

Aren't they the only two that survived the "species wide graft" that enabled the Inchoroi to perform sorcery, thus enabling them to pursue the Aporos?

I always thought it was either the defected Quya or the Mangaeecca that made the Chorae under Inchoroi direction/supervision.

Aural

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2015, 04:03:36 pm »
What I meant is that the Nonmen who defected were working for the Inchoroi, not the Consult.

The Consult or Mangaecca didn’t exist when the Chorae were being made, which, as far as we know took place in the years preceding the Womb-Plague.

As for whether someone within the Consult knows the Aporos and has created more Chorae... that’s possible. But I do recall Bakker saying that he intended the Aporos to be a long lost ancient art or something.

Aural

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2015, 04:10:19 pm »
Just to clarify, here are two relevant quotes from Bakker on TSF,

The Chorae are actually sorcerous artifacts (of something called the 'Aporos'), manufactured prior to the Cuno-Inchoroi Wars (by Quya defectors) as a way for the Inchoroi to counter the sorcery of the Nonmen. The script inscribed across each embodies a contradiction that unravels the semantics of all known Cants - even those of the Aporos!

My original idea was for the Aporos to be a 'dead and ancient' branch of the esoterics. I'm still leaning in that direction, but I find the notion of a sorcery based on a semantics of contradiction and paradox almost too juicy to resist!

That last sentence leaves open the possibility of it coming back.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2015, 04:32:10 pm »
I love that the aporos somehow unravels its own cants. Ridiculous.

Though, that does seem to point towards something important about the differences between written and spoken forms of magics.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Aural

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2015, 04:49:48 pm »
I love that the aporos somehow unravels its own cants. Ridiculous.

Heh. I just came across this q&a from that same thread,

Andrew: So then how did the Quya defectors manage to inscribe them?

Cujara Cinmoi: I'm afraid you've touched world-building bottom with that one, Andrew!

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2015, 05:30:15 pm »
lmao thanks for that.

So then, along those lines, the aporos must then be dead, unless years later Bakker solved his own riddle. Maybe this is what he has been working on all this time...

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2015, 08:39:39 am »
It's possible the Aporetics were either dead or fled from the Ark by the time the Inchoroi managed to graft sorcery to themselves. Also Aurang and Aurax weren't the only ones to survive the grafting. There were others. I can't remember the exact number, but it was very small. Like, count-on-two-hands small. It was more than just the twins, though.

Also interesting confirmation that there are Aporetic cants. I always assumed that to be the case, but I have seen others assume that the Aporesis is basically nothing but chorae production.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2015, 05:39:02 pm »
Yeah the Cants interest me a lot. I alway imagine things like a bubble/sphere of anarcane ground/area

I think it was something like 6 survived the Onta graph.

locke

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2015, 09:29:53 pm »
It's possible the Aporetics were either dead or fled from the Ark by the time the Inchoroi managed to graft sorcery to themselves. Also Aurang and Aurax weren't the only ones to survive the grafting. There were others. I can't remember the exact number, but it was very small. Like, count-on-two-hands small. It was more than just the twins, though.

Also interesting confirmation that there are Aporetic cants. I always assumed that to be the case, but I have seen others assume that the Aporesis is basically nothing but chorae production.
Presumably the barricades manipulating/folding space are aporos, I would think.  Got that idea when someone suggested chorae fold meaning.

My latest crackpot is that it's no coincidence the chorae first appear after the womb plague.   My theory is each individual chorae is manufactured from an individual womb of a cunoroi female.  The inchoroi were harvesting.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2015, 10:42:45 pm »
Any estimates on the number of Nonmen females vs. the number of chorae? I always had the impression that the Nonmen were never great in numbers, and that there are million of chorae (most owned by the Inchoroi or lost).

Souls harvested as they entered the world, trapped and held by the chorae inscriptions... Sounds like a precursor to the Carapace.

Uncle Holy

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2015, 08:27:00 pm »
Let's not forget Mimara's revelation that the Chorae are actually Tears of God...she can see the 'goodness' or 'rightness' of Chorae...that said, is it not possible that the guys that made the chorae were priests/prophets of some kind? How old are the chorae, anyway? what links the God to the Chorae? Sorcery is imperfect reality...no way, sorcerers (gnostic or quya) could have made the Chorae by uttering a few cants or whatever...the mark would be evident and i dont think it would be such an effective anti-mage device as it is...perhaps chorae are the result of a certain combination of events like topoi...those who engage in aporos simply take advantage of existing conditions...

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2015, 09:46:24 pm »
Mimara altered the Chorae somehow. Gave it properties it didn't always have. It changed as she watched it. It didn't normally look like a "Tear of God", before or after.

The makers of the Chorae were specifically described as Aporetic sorcerors. They use entirely different metaphysics from the Gnosis. The lack of a mark (or rather, the very different mark that expresses itself as a profound absence) may be a product of the difference in metaphysics.

Simas Polchias

• Kijneta
  • Consult Fanboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2015, 10:10:34 pm »
Let's not forget Mimara's revelation that the Chorae are actually Tears of God...she can see the 'goodness' or 'rightness' of Chorae...that said, is it not possible that the guys that made the chorae were priests/prophets of some kind? How old are the chorae, anyway? what links the God to the Chorae? Sorcery is imperfect reality...no way, sorcerers (gnostic or quya) could have made the Chorae by uttering a few cants or whatever...the mark would be evident and i dont think it would be such an effective anti-mage device as it is...perhaps chorae are the result of a certain combination of events like topoi...those who engage in aporos simply take advantage of existing conditions...
As long as cishaurims can whisper their meaning right into the God's voice without imperfecting it, there is always a chance for other loopholes.

Also, here's a lil crackpot with a post-apocalyptic taste of misusing technoly: true purpose of chorae was never revealed. Maybe they are eggs of anarcane grounds (here's a nice connection with a certain desert clan of water-bearers). Or counter-sorcery bombs yet to be activated.

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2015, 11:37:16 pm »
Mimara altered the Chorae somehow. Gave it properties it didn't always have. It changed as she watched it. It didn't normally look like a "Tear of God", before or after.

The makers of the Chorae were specifically described as Aporetic sorcerors. They use entirely different metaphysics from the Gnosis. The lack of a mark (or rather, the very different mark that expresses itself as a profound absence) may be a product of the difference in metaphysics.

woah!  i had never thought of that!  so Mimara forces the chorae to become a tear of god -- does this mean she could look at the No-God and cause it to become God? or something?

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2015, 02:52:21 am »
Who knows. The Judging Eye isn't well understood and has apparently not been extensively studied. All Akka knew about it was folk tradition, more or less.