H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
    • The Original No-God Apologist
« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2015, 12:13:26 pm »
Maybe not a full blown  sorcerer, but its probably extremely likely that nearly everyone within Ishual can see the Onta, or at least a much great proportion of them than in the greater world. Bakker mentions somewhere in an interview that the traits the dunyain have been selecting fore over the years inadvertently select for the Few as well.

So, maybe not sorcerers, but at least magically inclined.

Maybe this is the pollution that required death? Receiving the dreams visibly changed their Onta to the other Dunyain, and it was far to much of a distraction.

This, definitely.  The pollution was almost certainly, to me, not knowing of sorcery.  It was the possibility of knowing sorcery, in the Biblical sense so-to-speak, and in so acquiring the Mark.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 07, 2015, 02:58:23 pm »
Yes, they apprehend the Onta..... Hey, that's why we have the forums. To remind ourselves how very little we remember, :) thanks guys.

ETA: you guys make great counterpoints that suggest that the story Kellhus received is true or like a Dunyain a very good lie. These are the times I stop and take a deep breath and think we overthink these books entirely too much. But, what else is there to do while we wait for the UNHOLY?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 04:45:42 pm by MSJ »
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

Garet Jax

« Reply #47 on: August 07, 2015, 06:22:19 pm »
These are the times I stop and take a deep breath and think we overthink these books entirely too much. But, what else is there to do while we wait for the UNHOLY?

Nothing but obsess.

Francis Buck

« Reply #48 on: August 07, 2015, 11:49:46 pm »
These are the times I stop and take a deep breath and think we overthink these books entirely too much. But, what else is there to do while we wait for the UNHOLY?

I'll be honest, having been a part of a variety of different fandoms since I was a kid and had the internet (so around fifteen years), I've always thought the same thing. And while I do think it's somewhat true of TSA, it's also one of the very few fandoms in my experience that I think is actually centered around a work with enough depth and content to warrant such analysis.

Part of that is just the quality of works that attract any kind of persistent "fandom" at all -- in general, it's probably going to be something pretty accessible. And if it's pretty accessible, it probably lacks a huge amount of depth (that's not 100% true of course, nor is it a bad or good thing per se, merely an observation).
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 11:51:50 pm by Francis Buck »