• 41 Replies

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
    • First Second Apocalypse
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2013, 07:39:39 pm »
Quote from: lockesnow
I put down several possibilities about the visitor that interro-raped Esement in the reread section.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2013, 07:39:46 pm »
Quote from: Madness
Quote from: lockesnow
There is a possible inconsistency here, in that Esmenet perceives the Consult to be man sized but later he vanishes through the window and she hears wings. A couple options:

1. Esmenet is seeing a glamour of the horrible Inchoroi form seen later in TWP, WLW and False Sun, so she sees a man rather than an outerspace rape demon. Pretty fucking huge window to allow something 12 feet tall to escape it.

2. A skin spy is connected to the synthese seen in the Inrau chapter. The synthese has taken over the skin spy to interrogate Esmenet. however I don't think skin spies leave black seed, though the next couple chapters when Esmenet connects to TTCSarcellus should clarify whether or not their seed is black. When the interrogator leaves, the Skin spy jumps out of the window and the synthese flies off.

3. Esmenet is interrogated by another kind of synthese not seen since this event.

4. Esmenet is interrogated because the synthese took control of a random dude or Consult Conspirator human, just like Esmenet is taken control of by the synthese in TTT when they try to kill Kellhus. The seed is black cuz magic.

5. Authorial inconsistency and the Inchoroi form was not yet fully fleshed out, heh. This is perhaps the most likely as the text says, “He was standing above her, his godlike frame shining in the glow of the remaining candle,” at the end of the interro-rape. Interesting that this invocation of godlike frame comes so soon on the heels of Conphas thinking of himself as a God. Also, Frames are really important to Bakker, so godlike Frame is a very loaded phrase regardless of whether or not this visitor is consistent with later portrayals of the Inchoroi, and the phrase could indicate the presence of glamour. And considering the invocation of this chapter names the Inchoroi as the race of lovers and the first significant event of the chapter is Esmenet being completely overwhelmed and in her words ‘mastered’ by the stranger’s ability as a lover, I think it is clear we’re to take this iteration of the Inchoroi as distinct from the Skin Spies and Synthese we have already seen.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2013, 07:39:52 pm »
Quote from: Wilshire
You Sir, have the quote for everything. Im impressed.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2013, 07:40:01 pm »
Lol, my life has developed a keen memory for fiction, nothing more. When I actually do readings for schools (as opposed to letting my non-academic readings of the same subject matter carry me through) it works too. Something about recognizing segments within contexts, I've never really thought about it much.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2013, 07:40:08 pm »
Quote from: Borric
Hmm, crazy thought here.
What if, Inchoroi “black seed” has some biological properties we don’t know about?
Having the effect of making Esmi’s womb stronger.
And enabling her to bear Kellhus offspring?
After all, we know all Kellhus concubines failed to produce children, and many died in the attempt.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2013, 07:40:15 pm »
Quote from: Triskele
Hmm, crazy thought here.
What if, Inchoroi “black seed” has some biological properties we don’t know about?
Having the effect of making Esmi’s womb stronger.
And enabling her to bear Kellhus offspring?
After all, we know all Kellhus concubines failed to produce children, and many died in the attempt.

I have wondered about this too.  Did it impact Inralatus or Kelmomas somehow? 

Did Esmi ever tell Kellhus about the Aurang incident whatever it was?

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2013, 07:40:22 pm »
Do skin-spys have the black seed? Because the original Serwa was 'interogated' several times, and she would be absent minded enough not to notice.

I ask because then, if the above was true for Esmi and her children, then Moe would be affected by this.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2013, 07:40:29 pm »
Maybe Wilshire.
But would skin spy and Inchoroi seed be the same?
If there is any truth to this, i somehow doubt it extends to skin spys and sranc.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2013, 07:40:36 pm »
Sranc have black seed I believe, something of this may have even been mentioned in the excerpt from chapter 1 of TUC, which is why I thought that skin-spys might.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2013, 07:40:45 pm »
Quote from: sologdin
nice.  very x-files, "black oil" spreading alien DNA.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2013, 07:40:51 pm »
x-files ... how about the more recent Prometheus.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2013, 07:40:57 pm »
I have always wondered how Esmenet's womb might be changed by the encounters with *Aurang*... Arguably, during her possession in TTT, she is already pregnant with Kayutas.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2013, 07:41:06 pm »
Hmmm thats a close timeline, probably too close to call definitively. The only thing is, Kayutas seems relatively normal, or at least well adjusted when compared to some of his other siblings. Poor Esmi has been through so much.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2013, 07:41:14 pm »
If you go back to the instances of her perspective after her possession in TTT, she experiences some of Aurang's memories, though she never really explores them much - Esmenet suppresses emotions, after all.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2013, 07:41:21 pm »
Quote from: Callan S.
I doubt Aurang did anything to make her pregnant (I'd suspect the opposite effort, if anything). They hate pregnancy - possibly with whatever fragmentary compassion they have left (as in, making more babies who a damned to eternal torture?)