mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« on: March 16, 2015, 06:28:20 pm »
Just thought I'd post up about Terry Pratchett because he was so amazing.  My first Pratchett book was Making Money and I've read/listened to it several times.  Damn, TP knew how to write, how to make people laugh, how to make a story extraordinary.

My daughter has been raised on the Tiffany Aching books and they are just wonderful, featuring a strong, intelligent, resourceful female lead without wading into corrosive sexual politics.

Pratchett will be missed, no one's like him.  Every Christmas my family watches the BBC film version of Hogfather and we agree that there's no better Christmas movie.  I think the only other author to be so woven into my family's day to day life is JK Rowling.  So cheers to you Sir Terry!  It is completely true to say that Death greeted you as an old friend.

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 06:56:57 pm »
The only Pratchett book I have read was The Last Continent a long time ago (I am pretty sure I read it the year of release) as it was loaned to me by a freinds dad. Invariably a lot of it went over my head as I was a bit young in '98.

Always wanted to read Pratchett it just feels so daunting. Such a shame to lose a talented author who is obviously well loved.

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 07:04:42 pm »
The only Pratchett book I have read was The Last Continent a long time ago (I am pretty sure I read it the year of release) as it was loaned to me by a freinds dad. Invariably a lot of it went over my head as I was a bit young in '98.

Always wanted to read Pratchett it just feels so daunting. Such a shame to lose a talented author who is obviously well loved.

With Pratchett, you can really jump in anywhere and not worry about reading them all!  Everybody says The Colour of Magic, but there's no need to start there.  Witches Abroad, Wintersmith, Going Postal, Making Money, Thud, all awesome!

locke

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 10:23:28 pm »
Start with small gods.  Or pyramids.  Or moving pictures. Guards guards colour of magic and witches abroad are also good starting points.

Also, there are no chapters.

Alia

• Kijneta
  • Of The Knife
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2015, 08:24:59 pm »
When I was a teen, I got a library card at British Council Library to learn English - and also read some books that haven't been translated. I loved fantasy and s-f then, so I delved into the bookshelves devoted to that genre. And there I saw those books with very colourful covers and funny titles. I started with "The Colour of Magic" and have been hooked since then. Also, we are very lucky in Poland in that we also have brilliant translations that do not lose the humour, which is a great feat. So then I started reading the translations and I suppose together with my husband we have gathered everything that has appeared over here.
The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom - William Blake