YOU MUST TELL ME ... What else are you reading?

• 418 Replies

Dora Vee

• Kijneta
  • The quest--it is your master.
    • View Profile
    • Divinesong
« Reply #375 on: November 28, 2018, 07:19:30 pm »
Quote from: H
may be there isn't a difference?

Saved me reading a whole 'nother series there.  Not really, wasn't going to read it anyway...

There's a huge difference. 1. Malazan (well, the main series) is finished. 2. Berserk is nowhere near so long winded. 3. The God Hand, including Griffith, would be eaten alive by other powers.
Faith is the truth of passion. Since no passion is more true than another, faith is the truth of nothing.   
                          -Ajencis, the fourth analytic of man

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: November 29, 2018, 04:39:02 pm »
There's a huge difference. 1. Malazan (well, the main series) is finished. 2. Berserk is nowhere near so long winded. 3. The God Hand, including Griffith, would be eaten alive by other powers.

I wasn't really being serious.  I realize there is a huge difference.  I honestly just have no real desire to read Malazan.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: November 29, 2018, 08:41:30 pm »

I wasn't really being serious.  I realize there is a huge difference.  I honestly just have no real desire to read Malazan.

Yes all in good fun DV.

Malazan is definitely not a series to read if you're on the fence. Way to long to go through with it, though honestly Gardens of the Moon is worth a shot if you ever had a huge amount of time to invest in a single novel - like if you decide TSA sucks and are looking for something else to do.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: November 29, 2018, 08:44:40 pm »
Yes all in good fun DV.

Malazan is definitely not a series to read if you're on the fence. Way to long to go through with it, though honestly Gardens of the Moon is worth a shot if you ever had a huge amount of time to invest in a single novel - like if you decide TSA sucks and are looking for something else to do.

I'be tried reading Garden of the Moon 3 times.  The only book in my life I have ever tried to read multiple times and the only book have given up reading multiple times.  I consider it somewhat fated: it's just not for me.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: November 29, 2018, 08:48:00 pm »
Oh, yeah. I didn't realize you had tried GOTM already. Defiantly not worth trying twice imo.

I've got plenty of recs for you if you're running out of books to read though lol

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: November 29, 2018, 08:59:56 pm »
Oh, yeah. I didn't realize you had tried GOTM already. Defiantly not worth trying twice imo.

I've got plenty of recs for you if you're running out of books to read though lol

Out of books?  Never out of books.

Out of time?  Always out of time.

Dora Vee

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
    • Divinesong
« Reply #381 on: November 29, 2018, 09:26:18 pm »
Well, you can try starting Deadhouse Gates. Some people have done that, but it's not a good idea.  If you tried to get through GOTM THREE times, then yikes...it's not for you. However, once I got to Memories of Ice, it was all worth it. It's STILL my favorite and I'm 89% in the Bonehunters.

What got me into Malazan was being told that it was the reason Bakker got published. That, and the fact that I was already aware of how the story was being told. Oh, and some spoilers...
Faith is the truth of passion. Since no passion is more true than another, faith is the truth of nothing.   

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: November 29, 2018, 09:51:54 pm »
Well, you can try starting Deadhouse Gates. Some people have done that, but it's not a good idea.  If you tried to get through GOTM THREE times, then yikes...it's not for you. However, once I got to Memories of Ice, it was all worth it. It's STILL my favorite and I'm 89% in the Bonehunters.

What got me into Malazan was being told that it was the reason Bakker got published. That, and the fact that I was already aware of how the story was being told. Oh, and some spoilers...

I have metric tons of stuff to read, so yeah, it's not really worth it to keep trying to hammer a square peg in a round hole.  It's odd, because I've read plenty of things that really aren't my forte, from Jane Austen books to Dickens and so on.  While I couldn't say I really liked those much, none of them had me question if it was even worth reading them?  Perhaps that is why those are actual classics?  Or perhaps it's because those were stand-alone books?  Who knows...

In any case, I read Bakker long, long before I ever head of Erikson.  I had only read Martin at that point, really (some time in late 2004).

sciborg2

• Old Name
  • Contrarian Wanker
  • "Trickster Makes This World"
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: November 30, 2018, 09:53:12 pm »
Bersek re-read, but not in chronological order...

Dora Vee

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
    • Divinesong
« Reply #384 on: December 02, 2018, 09:13:28 pm »
Bonehunters finally complete. Now on to Reaper's Gale.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: December 03, 2018, 01:09:13 pm »
Bonehunters finally complete. Now on to Reaper's Gale.
On the home stretch!

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #386 on: December 03, 2018, 01:51:50 pm »
Yeah, I'm impressed.

Burning through it now, DV.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Dora Vee

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
    • Divinesong
« Reply #387 on: December 05, 2018, 08:16:44 pm »
Here's my impression of the Bonehunters: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/2559327478

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: December 05, 2018, 08:30:50 pm »
Thanks for posting. Yeah BH goes into the weeds a lot describing backgrounds for every other character, regardless of their importance to the plot. This seems like a good idea at first, but ends up making things tedious. Unfortunately its a trend that continues (not that it started in this book).

Ultimately I think this is one of the major things that separates Erikson from Bakker. Erikson seems to have no notion of Chekov's gun, whereas Bakker appears to be obsessed with it. Malazan is filled with details that just don't matter, where TSA seems to be stuffed to bursting.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 08:32:56 pm by Wilshire »

Dora Vee

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
    • Divinesong
« Reply #389 on: December 07, 2018, 01:29:50 am »
I forgot to mention that I will actually miss Pearl. :/

Erikson is also pretty weak with romance.