The line of Nejata

• 2 Replies

ThoughtsOfThelli

• Great Name
  • Thelli's Revenge
  • Approximation of a Human
    • View Profile
« on: December 05, 2017, 02:14:41 pm »
I think I found an inconsistency, don't think this has been mentioned before.

In chapter 8 of TUC, Proyas thinks back on the murder of the line of Nejata:

"Where, Father?" he had asked after hearing the last of House Nersei’s ancestral rivals, the Nejati, had been executed. "Where lies the honour in murdering children?"

If his father had spared the sons of Nejata, what then? Vengeance would have been their inheritance, discord and rebellion the consequence.

But, according to the TTT glossary:

Nersei, House—The ruling House of Conriya since the Aöknyssian Uprisings of 3942, which saw the entire line of King Nejata Medekki murdered. The Black Eagle on White is their device.

In the TUC glossary the date of the Uprisings is changed to 3742, but the rest of the entry is identical.
Anyway, the fact remains that Proyas could not have been alive at the time the line of Nejata was extinguished. One could argue there could have been descendants of Nejata alive in Proyas' lifetime, but it seems very unlikely from the wording in the House Nersei entry.
"But you’ve simply made the discovery that Thelli made—only without the benefit of her unerring sense of fashion."
-Anasûrimbor Kayûtas (The Great Ordeal, chapter 13)

"You prefer to believe women victims to their passions, but we can be at least as calculating as you. Love does not make us weak, but strong."
-Ykoriana of the Masks (The Third God, chapter 27)

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 05:20:23 pm »
Likely an inconsistency.

You might make the argument that its possible the house maintained loyalty with some other major houses and had a few sons/bastards holding onto the name for centuries... Though how they'd be able to definitively say they found them all and finally purged them, I'm not sure. Could have been a long investigation though once they found the hidden house, and it seems within reason that there would have been lineage records - ancestry scrolls - held wherever their last vestige was. From the scrolls maybe they were able to hunt them to a man.

Possible, albeit unlikely.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

ThoughtsOfThelli

• Great Name
  • Thelli's Revenge
  • Approximation of a Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 05:31:54 pm »
Likely an inconsistency.

You might make the argument that its possible the house maintained loyalty with some other major houses and had a few sons/bastards holding onto the name for centuries... Though how they'd be able to definitively say they found them all and finally purged them, I'm not sure. Could have been a long investigation though once they found the hidden house, and it seems within reason that there would have been lineage records - ancestry scrolls - held wherever their last vestige was. From the scrolls maybe they were able to hunt them to a man.

Possible, albeit unlikely.

That was what I was thinking, it would be the only way some members of the Nejata family could still be around by Proyas' day. But the House Nersei entries do make it seem like the family had to be completely wiped out for the Nersei to be able to take the throne of Conriya.
Again, like you said, not impossible that one or more bastards, distant cousins, etc. could survive (just look at the case of the Anasûrimbor bastard and his line, thought to be extinct for millennia). I don't think it's particularly likely either, but who knows.
"But you’ve simply made the discovery that Thelli made—only without the benefit of her unerring sense of fashion."
-Anasûrimbor Kayûtas (The Great Ordeal, chapter 13)

"You prefer to believe women victims to their passions, but we can be at least as calculating as you. Love does not make us weak, but strong."
-Ykoriana of the Masks (The Third God, chapter 27)