• 41 Replies

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2017, 04:35:39 pm »
The Name of the Wind has some of the most interesting magic ever - so if that's your thing, stick with it. Plenty else to absolutely love about TNotW.

Really, you thought TDTCB was enthralling the first go around? It wasn't until about 2/3 - 3/4 of the way through until I really got hooked (barring some of the stuff in the initial chapters with Kellhus/akka).
One of the other conditions of possibility.

BeardFisher-King

• Old Name
  • The 8-Trackless Steppe
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2017, 04:41:48 pm »
I second Wilshire on TNotW. Stick with it.

A TV show thread? Now how could that possibly be interesting, Tao?  ;) "Friends"? Damn straight! Courteney Cox? Jennifer Aniston? Hello?

I wish I could slow my reading pace down, Tao. I greatly look forward to TUC.
"The heart of any other, because it has a will, would remain forever mysterious."

-from "Snow Falling On Cedars", by David Guterson

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2017, 05:11:51 pm »
We do have a thread for that... What are you watching?
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2017, 06:42:10 pm »
Really, you thought TDTCB was enthralling the first go around? It wasn't until about 2/3 - 3/4 of the way through until I really got hooked (barring some of the stuff in the initial chapters with Kellhus/akka).

OMG - when I got to the part about the dude wearing the faces ( Cet’ingira? ), I was hooked! And those flashbacks ( dreams ) of that nasty stuff before was amazing.
It's me, Dave, open up, I've got the stuff

Redeagl

• Great Name
  • Pun Master
  • WHAT AM I ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2017, 07:33:44 pm »
The Name of the Wind has some of the most interesting magic ever - so if that's your thing, stick with it. Plenty else to absolutely love about TNotW.

I enjoyed TDTCB from the very first word.Not kidding.
“The thoughts of all men arise from the darkness. If you are the movement of your soul, and the cause of that movement precedes you, then how could you ever call your thoughts your own? How could you be anything other than a slave to the darkness that comes before?”

- Chronicler of the Chroniclers

BeardFisher-King

• Old Name
  • The 8-Trackless Steppe
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2017, 07:58:05 pm »
That first epigraph hooked me. The Ainoni (?) nursery rhyme that goes, "Men regret,/Nonmen forget,/And the Sranc have all the fun."
"The heart of any other, because it has a will, would remain forever mysterious."

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2017, 08:57:35 pm »
That first epigraph hooked me. The Ainoni (?) nursery rhyme that goes, "Men regret,/Nonmen forget,/And the Sranc have all the fun."

I shall never tire of underlining a concise little fact which these superstitious people are loath to admit—namely, that a thought comes when “it” wants, not when “I” want . . . —FRIEDRICH NIETZSCHE, BEYOND GOOD AND EVIL

You had me at hello.

ETA: though I will admit, like Wilshire, it wasn't til we get the Cnaüir and Kellhus on the Steppe til I was hooked.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 09:05:06 pm by MSJ »
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

BeardFisher-King

• Old Name
  • The 8-Trackless Steppe
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2017, 09:24:22 pm »

I shall never tire of underlining a concise little fact which these superstitious people are loath to admit—namely, that a thought comes when “it” wants, not when “I” want . . . —FRIEDRICH NIETZSCHE, BEYOND GOOD AND EVIL

You had me at hello.

ETA: though I will admit, like Wilshire, it wasn't til we get the Cnaüir and Kellhus on the Steppe til I was hooked.
Maybe....the second epigraph?? And for me, the early Akka chapters (plus Kellhus vs. Mekeretrig) sealed the deal.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2017, 10:01:58 pm »
Maybe....the second epigraph?? And for me, the early Akka chapters (plus Kellhus vs. Mekeretrig) sealed the deal.

Yea, Akka is what kept me going. But, upon reread everything is awesome. The Xerius plotline is some of the best stuff. Kiyuth. Really isn't a chapter where I get bored and struggle to go on.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2017, 03:45:29 pm »
If you want a real laugh, look up other blogs that discuss PON. I stumbled across one trying to find how to spell an name for one of my posts here and it's hilarious. So many people dismissing the books over the sex and violence and I'm like, "well, now I know why so much fantasy fiction is written - a wide audience for kids riding dragons and heroes just barely pulling out the win in the end". Appears the appetite for that equation remains strong. A few of the fools were pissed that they found PON "hero" Kellhus as someone they couldn't "root for" ... well, uh, yeah, you're complaining about one of the genius parts of the writing - Bakker has negotiated the 4th wall in no way any other author has done before - reaching into us via our reading as opposed to the typical 4th wall crashing through as explicit talking to the reader - challenging ourselves to have a personal connection not driven by the writer - maybe the most under bearing work I've read, it is completely left up to us to judge and understand on our own terms and we're not wrong regardless of our conclusions. The beauty of that astounds me.

Oh, whatever ...

Redeagl

• Great Name
  • Pun Master
  • WHAT AM I ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2017, 04:28:20 pm »
If you want a real laugh, look up other blogs that discuss PON. I stumbled across one trying to find how to spell an name for one of my posts here and it's hilarious. So many people dismissing the books over the sex and violence and I'm like, "well, now I know why so much fantasy fiction is written - a wide audience for kids riding dragons and heroes just barely pulling out the win in the end". Appears the appetite for that equation remains strong. A few of the fools were pissed that they found PON "hero" Kellhus as someone they couldn't "root for" ... well, uh, yeah, you're complaining about one of the genius parts of the writing - Bakker has negotiated the 4th wall in no way any other author has done before - reaching into us via our reading as opposed to the typical 4th wall crashing through as explicit talking to the reader - challenging ourselves to have a personal connection not driven by the writer - maybe the most under bearing work I've read, it is completely left up to us to judge and understand on our own terms and we're not wrong regardless of our conclusions. The beauty of that astounds me.

Oh, whatever ...
You forgot the "boring philosophy".
“The thoughts of all men arise from the darkness. If you are the movement of your soul, and the cause of that movement precedes you, then how could you ever call your thoughts your own? How could you be anything other than a slave to the darkness that comes before?”

- Chronicler of the Chroniclers

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2017, 10:58:41 pm »
You forgot the "boring philosophy".

oh, yeah, that too ... the "immaturity" and the so passe of it all ... I'm like, are they reading the same book I am? Not being a writer myself, I'm going to guess that no writer expects the world to love their works, but some of the criticism is way off the mark - Bakker and the like ( think you cats call it grimdark ) isn't your thing, fine. But I detect genuine disdain/disgust for the work and from where I'm standing that confirms the power of the writing in that it's effectual. I confess I enjoy the books more than I feel challenged, but seems challenging us readers is a big part of it ( not of understanding complexity, though for my small mind it seems that way at times, LOL - but challenging our identity - what are you? ).