The Goad

• 13 Replies

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« on: September 17, 2017, 02:01:55 pm »
Kelhus didn't "succumb" to the goad of the IF ( any relevance to IF as acronym, I wonder ) - I take that was because of his "deals" with hell ( i.e. he didn't see himself tormented, so was relieved more than scared ). He asks if he's the first - perhaps ferreting out he's the only one to have attempted an alliance with the 4 Horned, ensuring he won't be betrayed by same? Kelhus had the idea, maybe vetting if any of his "brothers" had come up with a similar approach, you see hell is real, why not try to "tame" it into your control. Given their millennia of dedication to logic/logos/reason, could be the discovery of hell is just a new data point to them.

At first read, I took this as maybe a bit of hubris, maybe even pride that Kelhus would ask this. Upon reflection, seems there was design to the question - perhaps an incomplete question, "am I the first ... to attempt dominating hell". Kelhus may have been surprised The Mutilated took up the cause of The Consult in lieu of going in another direction.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 02:03:46 pm by TaoHorror »
It's me, Dave, open up, I've got the stuff

Woden

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2017, 02:38:57 pm »
I don't think he was surprised that the Mutilated joined the Consult, in TTT he thought that Moe would do so in the end.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 02:37:32 pm by Woden »
Know what your slaves believe, and you will always be their master.

Sausuna

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 01:14:16 pm »
I took it more as genuine curiosity. Whatever the Nonman's name was had likely seen countless thousands look at the fire before and would have doubtlessly heard of anyone who might have looked to no effect.

You could be right, he might have been seeking a deeper meaning. But I think it fits just as well that he's stalling to ferret out the situation.

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2017, 01:18:06 pm »
Yeah, could be that too - get them talking, the more they talk, the more they help him - and they were chatty ( for the benefit of us readers  ;) )

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
    • The Original No-God Apologist
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2017, 02:18:00 pm »
Yeah, could be that too - get them talking, the more they talk, the more they help him - and they were chatty ( for the benefit of us readers  ;) )

Well, considering that they think it is Kellhus would must go into the Sarcophagus, it's in their perceived best interest to try to talk him out of fighting them (and probably dying doing so).
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2017, 07:25:05 pm »
I'm still of the opinion that Ajokli is speaking through Kellhus at this point.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2017, 07:40:11 pm »

Could be - why do you think Ajokoli would want to know if any have resisted the goad?

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 01:40:29 pm »

Could be - why do you think Ajokoli would want to know if any have resisted the goad?

Because its his Goad. Confirmed - IF is Ajokli's tool ;)
One of the other conditions of possibility.

TLEILAXU

• Old Name
  • Exalt-Smiter of Theories
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 02:33:42 pm »

Because its his Goad. Confirmed - IF is Ajokli's tool ;)
You can't really separate Kellhus from Ajokli in this moment, the entity's flow together in the sense that Ajokli, being a God, occupies Kellhus' Darkness. Also, the Inverse Fire is not Ajokli's tool because he's blind to the meaning of the Ark ("the disfiguring absence, the pit that consumes all traces of consumption"), it is only through the inverse prophet Kellhus that he can grasp this machinery.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2018, 03:44:39 pm »
That doesn't answer why Ajokus wants to know if any have resisted the Goad.
I think it perfectly reasonable to assume that he is inquiring into the effectiveness of his IF gambit - the fact that the Arc confounds Ajokli's senses only supports this further: even though the IF his his tool, its within the Arc which hides it from him, thus the question.

(believe me, I know the idea itself stands on somewhat shaky ground, but I think it this instance it can at least be self consistent :) ).

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2018, 09:37:48 pm »
The IF is as much a part of the Ark as the NG. I don't see how it's Ajokli's tool or why it would be used as his tool. I mean the Consult used it as a goad to recruit people in their fight to shut the world off from the Outside. Hence, leaving Ajokli howling at the gates .
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2018, 02:01:42 am »
I think it's important to be pointed with our attributes.

Separately, the Inverse Fire can be a Tekne creation, accurately reveal Damnation in the Hells to those souls Damned, and Ajokli can inhabit Kellhus, look, and see that he is unaffected - I don't think that we need to suggest that Ajokli is responsible for the Inverse Fire's creation.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2018, 01:42:44 pm »
I think it's important to be pointed with our attributes.

Speak for yourself. I was very pointy - and it doesn't look like anyone was confused about my nonsense.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2018, 05:46:09 pm »
;)
The Existential Scream