• Emwama
    • View Profile
    • First Second Apocalypse
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2013, 06:39:12 pm »
Quote from: Wilshire
Quote from: Triskele
Quote from: Madness
Quote from: Duskweaver
I was looking for a Second Apocalypse wiki to check whether I was correctly remembering who a character in tWLW was, since it had been so long since I read the previous books. (I can't actually remember which character it was now, which just goes to show how atrocious my memory is.) I found http://princeofnothing.wikia.com/wiki/Second_Apocalypse, but also this place. Hooray for search engines (and my atrocious memory for character names). ;)
Blessed correspondence of cause lol.

And Here could Circumstance most Holy be tended to.
The world Conspires.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2013, 06:39:20 pm »
Quote from: lockesnow
A Joke Lie
Math Thesis pin
No God

he's so damn punny

(I sometimes wonder if Bakker smacks his head and says, "seriously, I named the thing the fucking "No God" how much more obvious can I make it?")

I am completely stealing the Ent Wives thing and posting it all over the internet.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2013, 06:39:29 pm »
I am completely stealing the Ent Wives thing and posting it all over the internet.

Except most of the internet that would get your joke is here. No one would understand the reference.

"Whats a Cunoroi? Is that like an elf or something?"

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2013, 06:39:37 pm »
I always wondered if Tolkien's 'lost entwives' were actually just perfectly ordinary trees, and that the ents were just so senile and/or had been around elves and men for so long that they'd forgotten that, as sentient trees, they didn't really have that sort of sexual dimorphism - i.e. they'd ended up in a mass delusion that anthropomorphised their own reproductive methods.
this is what I meant, and what I intend to steal.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2013, 06:39:44 pm »
ohhhhhhh. yeah thats legit. people would follow that much more easily

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2013, 06:39:52 pm »
Just in case there was any doubt I put up both those Ent ideas as my facebook status.

The one about the Cunoroi was ignored entirely, while the other one is currently enjoy some discussion.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2013, 06:40:00 pm »
Or they offer you a fair deal, speaking only truth, and depend on their reputation as an untrustworthy Trickster to ensure you'll instead pick the other, less-favourable-to-you option because you think you're being oh-so-clever and getting one over on them. :D

Assuming a Trickster is lying is no safer than assuming they're telling the truth.

Depends on the specific Trickster in question. Some of them use deceit in the short term to encourage true enlightenment in the longer term.

Completely legit. All topical.

But how is that different from Kellhus, Achamian, or any of the other characters who seem to be giving us, the readers, information about Earwa?

Well, we're used to Kellhus and have much practice trying to duplicate his TTT ;). Achamian is the reliable narrator, insofar as this isn't a major inversion. Mimara as you highlight is special but, mostly, in her connection to the Outside.

Ajokli is a God... or an Inchoroi. And he has information that matters... or he doesn't  :evil: .

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2013, 06:40:09 pm »
See, I'm fine with the idea that, even after five books, a couple of short stories and a bunch of tantalising hints in author interviews etc., we still can't be certain about very much at all to do with Earwa and its metaphysics.

I'll state plainly that I don't even trust Achamian to be a "reliable narrator". As Lockesnow points out in the very first reread thread:

The other thing I noted is that Akka is a terrible, horrible, no-good, very bad narrator, in that he's unreliable, from just about the very first second we meet him he's making assumptions and jumping to conclusions that are ridiculously biased and often hopelessly wrong.

It's still a fun day fishing, even if all I'm catching is red herrings.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2013, 06:40:17 pm »

It's still a fun day fishing, even if all I'm catching is red herrings.
bawhahaha love it.  :lol:

your so damn quotable, stop it. :)

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2013, 06:40:24 pm »
Lol, red herrings are certainly in the mix. But fishing is always fun. And is the fun, here, I think. I'll entertain some dissonance - hell, we're not sure we're going to get the answers we want in Vol. 6!

Probably, there are always going to be newer questions...

I had held some internal conflict in regards to lockesnow's interpretation there, though I'm not sure I had commented on it - stuck as I was in summary experimentation. Achamian suffers doubts about himself certainly - if we doubt his fiction about Earwa as well?! All might be lost...

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2013, 06:40:33 pm »
I had held some internal conflict in regards to lockesnow's interpretation there, though I'm not sure I had commented on it - stuck as I was in summary experimentation. Achamian suffers doubts about himself certainly - if we doubt his fiction about Earwa as well?! All might be lost...
You would doubt his proof.  She is his prize, the history of the holy war.  His proof and his prize.  Not Kellhus'.  HIS.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2013, 06:40:41 pm »
Lol, red herrings are certainly in the mix. But fishing is always fun. And is the fun, here, I think. I'll entertain some dissonance - hell, we're not sure we're going to get the answers we want in Vol. 6!

"Answers are like opium: the more you imbibe, the more you need. Which is why the sober man finds solace in mystery."

We're all drunk i guess.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2013, 06:40:50 pm »
Quote from: Triskele

"Answers are like opium: the more you imbibe, the more you need. Which is why the sober man finds solace in mystery."

We're all drunk i guess.

Ajencis cautioned against drunkenness.  Have we learned nothing?!?

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2013, 06:40:57 pm »
Quote from: Curethan
Ajencis was known to bathe in gin.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQycQ8DABvc