Exhuman Inquiries

• 27 Replies

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2017, 02:46:28 pm »
Not to disparage your concerns, Beard - just my initial take was the whole thing was a joke. But I concede ignorance, didn't even know there was something called scientific reductionism. So the gist is an argument against sentient life? Is that due to sentient life over consuming resources for their luxury at the expense of other life? I have no idea of what I'm talking about, just taking a stab at why someone would believe in that if not a joke.
It's me, Dave, open up, I've got the stuff

TLEILAXU

• Old Name
  • Exalt-Smiter of Theories
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2017, 03:04:18 pm »
It's just another identity for a subset of people who can't fit in with the world, yet lack the intellect to realize that humans, or living matter for that sake, is not ontologically different from the rest of matter.
Just another set of identity-clothes, lacking any true ambition.

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2017, 03:07:34 pm »
It's just another identity for a subset of people who can't fit in with the world, yet lack the intellect to realize that humans, or living matter for that sake, is not ontologically different from the rest of matter.

So ... losers, eh?  ;)
It's me, Dave, open up, I've got the stuff

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2017, 03:30:59 pm »

So ... losers, eh?  ;)

Everyone's a loser. No one fits into 'the world', because that reference is to some lofty ideal that itself doesn't truly exist, insofar as its a physical thing but a mental construct of what people think 'the world' really is.

Things would be so much easier if we were some kind of hivemind and didn't have all these different people with different experiences making different conclusions about things. What a mess.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

BeardFisher-King

• Old Name
  • The 8-Trackless Steppe
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2017, 04:47:12 pm »

We may not differ ontologically, but that's not the only measuring stick, imho. Self-consciousness and the ability to use the first-person case make a huge difference.
"The heart of any other, because it has a will, would remain forever mysterious."

-from "Snow Falling On Cedars", by David Guterson

BeardFisher-King

• Old Name
  • The 8-Trackless Steppe
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2017, 04:49:42 pm »
Short answer, Tao: Existence is pain. Pain is to be avoided. Don't exist.
"The heart of any other, because it has a will, would remain forever mysterious."

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2017, 05:04:23 pm »

Well, it's easy to short circuit that though: exist in a non-painful way.

I imagine they'd retort with something about that not being possible.  Maybe it's not, I don't know.  I mean, I do know I am almost constantly in pain from something or other.  I guess my "out" is that I really don't care about it.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

BeardFisher-King

• Old Name
  • The 8-Trackless Steppe
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2017, 05:07:57 pm »

Well, it's easy to short circuit that though: exist in a non-painful way.

I imagine they'd retort with something about that not being possible.  Maybe it's not, I don't know.  I mean, I do know I am almost constantly in pain from something or other.  I guess my "out" is that I really don't care about it.

The Stoics would have a good laugh at the lameness of EFILism.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2017, 05:12:39 pm »

Yeah, I'd tend to lump myself in with Stoic thought, if I was apt to lump myself in anywhere.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

BeardFisher-King

• Old Name
  • The 8-Trackless Steppe
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2017, 05:14:56 pm »

Yeah, I'd tend to lump myself in with Stoic thought, if I was apt to lump myself in anywhere.

Right on! "Suck it up, buttercup!"

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2017, 04:31:35 pm »
Well, googled antinatalist, was not disappointing lol.

https://www.wikihow.com/Live-As-an-Antinatalist

Anyways, cool site, thanks for posting.

Lol. That's great.

However, I too got the feeling that whoever put that together was having fun with it lol.

+1

I'm with ya, Beard - our "attacks" are misconstrued as other than love  :P

I got nailed for calling the Witches ( in Earwa ) the Bitches - all was meant as humor, making a little fun of the critics of PON for it's treatment of women ... anyways, didn't go over well, LOL! But I regret it, that was the last we've heard from one of my favorite posters, hope they know I was just having fun with them ( not intended at their expense ).

Yeah, that was me. I'm a strange bird. Just trying to make this place as inclusive as possible.

I believe we can all make efforts to communicate with even the most dissimilar interlocutors - and I think Wilshire would disagree with me on some case specific basis but agree overall.

I don't think scientific reductionism and the attack on intentionality is a laughing matter, that's all. But I need to engage more civilly.

+1 and not just you :).

Things would be so much easier if we were some kind of hivemind and didn't have all these different people with different experiences making different conclusions about things. What a mess.

If we ever wish to grow up as a species, then these are our starting conditions. A bunch of toddlers tripping over ourselves and others. I've maintained since I was like seven or eight that all the world's problems arise from the inability of two people to have open and honest conversations - and while I've certainly learned that that is more complicated than first conceived, the underlying thought remains the same.

We can all work harder at communicating better.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

jamesA01

« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2017, 12:54:58 am »
Wow looks like I missed a lot. Don't worry about offense, none taken, i'm definitely a loser and not a much of a badass stoic warrior. :) Those that took my initial post with just a touch of levity might be on the right track...

But to be serious - It's def not fair to call it a "downscale TPB", that would be an honour! I haven't done anything to merit that!

And that wiki is brilliant btw, look at those awesome graphics.

BTW - Efilism doesn't advocate suicide necessarily, just not reproducing.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 01:01:12 am by jamesA01 »

BeardFisher-King

• Old Name
  • The 8-Trackless Steppe
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2017, 01:28:57 am »
Wow looks like I missed a lot. Don't worry about offense, none taken, i'm definitely a loser and not a much of a badass stoic warrior. :) Those that took my initial post with just a touch of levity might be on the right track...

But to be serious - It's def not fair to call it a "downscale TPB", that would be an honour! I haven't done anything to merit that!

And that wiki is brilliant btw, look at those awesome graphics.

BTW - Efilism doesn't advocate suicide necessarily, just not reproducing.

I amended my post to reflect your clarification on EFILism. TaoHorror took your post with your recommended touch of levity; I'm sorry that I was unable to do so.