Kellhus ultimate goal?

• 87 Replies

Borric

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« on: February 08, 2014, 01:34:53 pm »
From the outset i’ll say that I don’t have a clue what that may be.
However, one thing that is related to it I suspect is the destruction of the inrithi religion and its “Gods”.
If he were to orchestrate the obliteration of the great ordeal, and the empire back home (under Esmenets deliberately inept leadership) was to suffer a similar fate.
Would that not in effect take away the vast majority of the “Gods” Support/sustenance, whatever you call what they need to exist?
I don’t think the southern nations need to die off, as they would revert to Fanimry under Fanayals leadership.
With the “Gods” weakened and an army of dammed schoolmen at his command, what would be his next step?

(I would have posted this on the Unholy Consult forum, but there is no tab for new topic.)

Francis Buck

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 03:23:13 pm »
To become God.

ETA: Not a god. The God.

Garet Jax

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 08:18:57 pm »
To become God.

ETA: Not a god. The God.

I agree with FB...

I think he is close enough with his amount of followers to carry enough weight in the "Outside" to be The God of Gods.  Not sure he even has to die to accomplish this.

Cüréthañ

• Moderator Extraordinaire
  • Old Name
  • Pendulous Fallacy
  • Wizard IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 10:17:51 pm »
Why would he want that?  What does the God even do?
Retracing his bloody footprints, the Wizard limped on.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 01:33:54 am »
If he were to orchestrate the obliteration of the great ordeal, and the empire back home (under Esmenets deliberately inept leadership) was to suffer a similar fate.

I don't know that Esmenet is going to fail.

(I would have posted this on the Unholy Consult forum, but there is no tab for new topic.)

When the old forum was ported, I think... all of us (six of us) democratically (four voted for this - I don't know why I'm guessing, the thread is here somewhere) decided that we keep the Unholy Consult forum pure here until new content. Traditionally, the latest book subforum is the place for future speculation.

Makes existence happen in the first place? Kellhus, Unmoved Mover, First Cause. Gives rise to itself?

I still TUC is going to Layer'd of Revelation our asses so... I don't really have a guess.

But I'm confident that Kellhus wants the Tekne and he will accomplish far more with it than anyone thus far in the series.

The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Gaston de Foix

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2014, 01:44:27 am »
If he wants the Tekne, why not simply join the Consult?

I can think of few limits to his ability to travel to places or accomplish assassinations. As Mimara rightly realises Kellhus could simply have appeared in Akka's tower. The same goes (more or less) for Ishterebinth or Golgoterath or Ishual.

There are already hints that the Great Ordeal is simply a vehicle for transporting the Schools to Golgoterrath. There's a reason he wants the Nonmen there too, impending betrayal notwithstanding.

I agree with you that TUC is going to be a revelation....

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2014, 02:12:53 am »
Lol.

Kellhus owns circumstances.

Also, there's no reason to believe he could just "join the Consult." He probably couldn't take on the Erratic Quya, let alone Aurang, Aurax, Mekeritrig, and Shauriatas as well (much less, stop by for tea and tell them how he was mistaken for outing their skin-spies).

But if Kellhus wants a new toy, I'm sure he'll do it on his own terms. Plus there's no reason to think he doesn't want the Tekne to use to help for humanity.

Aside, I'm glad someone else thinks that the Great Ordeal is the ultimate historical chance for repeat Trauma for the Erratic Nonmen.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Gaston de Foix

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2014, 02:22:01 am »
I actually thought the threat to Kellhus would have been chorae wielding skin spies rather than the Mages. None of the Consult seemed to have achieved any acts of great valour in the Second Apocalypse...if Akka can hold off Cleric, Kellhus can kick Quya ass.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2014, 02:36:02 am »
I actually thought the threat to Kellhus would have been chorae wielding skin spies rather than the Mages. None of the Consult seemed to have achieved any acts of great valour in the Second Apocalypse...if Akka can hold off Cleric, Kellhus can kick Quya ass.

It's a question of numbers, Gaston.

Achamian barely lives singing nothing but Wards, one on one. And on ZTS Bakker suggested that there are hundreds of Erratics working with the Consult.

How many can Kellhus really take on... 10?
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2014, 05:53:55 pm »
Hey all!  Longtime reader, firsttime poster.

I have no idea, but I wonder if it is a goal since the Dunyain are simply conditioned to master circumstances.  So long as they were in Ishual, that's all they mastered, but know that Kellhus is aware of the outside, he has no choice but to ascend as far as he can.

But I think that whatever Kellhus' goal it is going to be just part of Old Moe's pln.  Not even sure that Kellhus is in the North.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2014, 07:29:53 pm »
Welcome to the Second Apocalypse, mrganondorf.

So long as they were in Ishual, that's all they mastered, but know that Kellhus is aware of the outside, he has no choice but to ascend as far as he can.

Quote from: TCTDB, p514, Canadian paperback
How could one determine the true intent of such a man?

The thought struck Cnaiiir that Dunyain monks might be even more inhuman than he had thought. What if things such as truth and meaning had no meaning for them? What if all they did was move and move, like something reptilian, snaking through circumstance after circumstance, consuming soul after soul for the sake of consumption alone? The thought made his scalp prickle.

They called themselves students of the Logos, the Shortest Way. But the shortest way to what?
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Somnambulist

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Incontinent Water-bearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2014, 07:58:24 pm »
That thought from Cnaiur sounds suspiciously like the way some believe the gods devour souls in the Outside.
No whistling on the slog!

Francis Buck

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2014, 09:06:39 pm »
That thought from Cnaiur sounds suspiciously like the way some believe the gods devour souls in the Outside.

It does indeed. I remember a Sorweel quote similar to it, where the word "reptilian" is even used again.

Callan S.

• Old Name
  • Warrior-Profit
    • View Profile
    • Philosopher Gamer
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2014, 11:49:58 pm »
It self moves itself.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 12:01:30 am by Callan S. »

Cüréthañ

• Moderator Extraordinaire
  • Old Name
  • Pendulous Fallacy
  • Wizard IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2014, 03:11:43 am »
A self moving soul is merely one that has grasped the absolute.  Which means understanding the origin of TDTCB.

What I'm understanding people descibing K ascending to is God as the soul that moves everything.

We are ascribing human motivations to Kellhus here.  Power for its own sake is not Tao.

Ostensiably, the dunyain do not need to dominate everything to become self moving souls; thus their policy of isolation.

Mastering the tekne would also count as a tool with which to fufill some further goal.

It is clear that Kellhus' ability to dominate and control is not enough to keep the empire whole, manage the ordeal or keep even half the peoples he rules content.
So does he really want the Tekne simply so he can try and cast his yoke into the greater universe?  To what end?

Options that I would consider:
A) He's seeking only to prevent the consult from taking absolute domination.  (stated goal, and consistent with dunyain action arising only from mission).
B) Striving towards some insane variation of the 'golden path' (not necessary if the God is immanent unless Kellhus believes he is God's instrument).
C) Working towards obliteration and oblivion for all - similar to the consult, but avoiding being caught in their version of Hell (where they become the hundred) in A.
D) He is being manipulated, perhaps by the Thousandfold Thought, Angake, Mog or the Pragmas .
Retracing his bloody footprints, the Wizard limped on.