H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
    • The Original No-God Apologist
« on: April 23, 2015, 08:05:55 pm »
Apologies if this thread is a double, but I didn't turn up any results in a search.

Who is your favorite character and why?

I'll start; initially I was a big Kellhus fan, until (I think) the point at which we met the No-God.  At that point, I realized that we were probably being set up and I soured on Kellhus.

At about the same point that we learned about the Consult, my favorite character became Aurang.  He is a flat out terrible thing, yet his audacity is so great, I can't help but like him.  Plus, he's got some incredibly bad ass nick-names too.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Francis Buck

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 10:12:29 pm »
Favorite to read? Probably Cnaiur. I think he has the most depth, and is the best realized, out of any character in the series. Favorite as in, I root for them and actually want them to come out on top? Probably Kellhus and/or Mimara.

Honestly though as long as the Gods get fucked over in the end, I don't care who does it.

Aural

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 10:09:16 am »
Aesthetically, Maithanet. That bit where he laughs in the Emperor's face... so awesome. Besides that, Wutteat has some great lines.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 05:06:52 pm »
Breaker of Horses and Men! The Most violent of all Men! Yatwers Baby Daddy! Conphas's spurned lover. His proof is Serwe. Yes, him, Cnaüir urs Skiötha.

Then Akka. Everyone seems to have a general dislike for him, I guess they say he broods too much. I didn't see that, and in TDTCB, he was the sole reason I kept reading.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 05:22:05 pm by MSJ »
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

profgrape

• The Afflicted Few
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 05:22:21 pm »
I've a certain fondness for Akka.  He is damaged and pitiable, yet capable of amazing things.  He's like taking a Gandalf/Allanon/Belgareth "guide" character and making them utterly, even consistently, fallible. 

Garet Jax

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2015, 06:09:37 pm »
Coithus Athjeari.

Because, The Wind Has Teeth.

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2015, 01:03:23 am »
You are all Heathen. Kellhus is awesome - thats the point of Dunyain, they're more a construct than the Skin Spy.

So I also really like to read Cnaiur and Kelmomas both because they are so irrational and unpredictable. I really enjoyed the short time Inrilatus had and I am almost certain that some of his conversation will hold deeper revelation in the future. After all only his father saw deeper than him.

Hirtius/Pansa

• The Afflicted Few
  • Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2015, 01:50:18 am »
Legitimate favorites;  Esmenet, Akka, Sorweel and Mimara. Oh, my poor sweet babies.

Tongue-in-cheek favorite;  Conphas   :P

A defect carried from the womb... please.

Francis Buck

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2015, 03:15:40 am »
Aesthetically, Maithanet. That bit where he laughs in the Emperor's face... so awesome. Besides that, Wutteat has some great lines.

Yeah, Maithanet's definitely up there for me as far as supporting characters go. Easily one of the more consistently badass characters in the series. His confrontation with Inrilatas is one of my favorite scenes in TAE.

Davias

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2015, 01:16:53 pm »
I loved Cnaiur in the first trilogy, his character is absolutely great.
My second vote would go to Conphas, I love his thoughts and plans, when we are in his POV.
In the second troligy, I found Inrilatas lines quite enjoyable, sadly he has only a few scenes, before he was taken from us.

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2015, 06:13:43 pm »
Cnaiur's descent into madness is so convincing to me.  love it everytime. 

As for secondary characters, Serwa is so fascinating.  Serwa = divine father + cunning human mother + Savior Seswatha.  What a mix!  She strikes me as the only dunyain who might actually have a heart (unless that's what Kellhus' madness boils down to). 

But her sister too, Theli is so up to something, what a fucking charade she's got everyone trained to.  a goddamn Slytherin pretending to be a Hufflepuff

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2015, 03:42:52 pm »
Probably Akka. Just enough self doubt to not be irritating either way.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2015, 07:02:38 pm »
Who would be my buddy
Im kind of with Wilshire in that my favourite (as in the guy I would share a beer with) would most definetly be Akka. Smart but self doubting and with a humbleness counterposed by awesome power. Basically would be a great guy to talk "deep" with, just really get into it.

Who is badass awesome
Cnaiurs character is awesome, some of the lines Bakker has for Cnaiur are class. It's been said before the line about "Cnaiur and Serwe burying Serwe" or something similar is just a great line. The man is clearly mentally off. You couldn't really have a relationship with Cnaiur, or at least not the sort you might want to have.

Who do I admire the most
Esmenet is the one I admire the most. She is probably the smartest of the human characters that we see, including IMO Akka. Sure she may not be as well learned but I think her raw abilities outstrip Akka. Esmenet is emotionally intelligent as well - now she make stupid decisions but I dont think these are due to her lack of understanding of the situation. I feel really sorry for her because all of the Dunyain touched children are so far removed from her intellectually its one way communication - they barely classify as human.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 07:04:35 pm by SilentRoamer »

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2015, 02:10:51 am »
First trilogy: Cnaiur.

Second trilogy: Gotta root for Mimara.

...I thoroughly enjoy Kelmomas/Samarmas too though so something is probably wrong with me.