eSports vs Sports

• 56 Replies

TLEILAXU

• Old Name
  • Exalt-Smiter of Theories
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2018, 11:38:55 pm »
Teenagers being "bums" is an age old problem/issue/complaint - seems once you're in a position to take care of your children, not relying on them to produce for the family, you risk them atrophying. There are letters/texts from the 18th and 19th centuries America of Senators and the like complaining their kids party all the time. I believe ( but cannot source it ) same from Romans and Greeks few thousand years ago.

I'm torn because my oldest son simply plays too much on his computer ( League of Legends, et al ), but I also have him quite active in Scouts and LaCrosse and he's developed the habit of doing his homework before doing anything else - so on the one hand, I don't want to be up his ass about his every spare minute, but on the other I wished he did SOMETHING other than computer shit with his spare time. I'm working on Friday nights being board game night, but it's not taking with him, he "puts up" with it. Tried movie night, which works some if popcorn is involved.
There's a simple solution to that. Ask him what league he is; if he's in a low league tell him he's too much of a n00b to play and that he should do something else, otherwise let him play.

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2018, 01:17:00 am »
Teenagers being "bums" is an age old problem/issue/complaint - seems once you're in a position to take care of your children, not relying on them to produce for the family, you risk them atrophying. There are letters/texts from the 18th and 19th centuries America of Senators and the like complaining their kids party all the time. I believe ( but cannot source it ) same from Romans and Greeks few thousand years ago.

I'm torn because my oldest son simply plays too much on his computer ( League of Legends, et al ), but I also have him quite active in Scouts and LaCrosse and he's developed the habit of doing his homework before doing anything else - so on the one hand, I don't want to be up his ass about his every spare minute, but on the other I wished he did SOMETHING other than computer shit with his spare time. I'm working on Friday nights being board game night, but it's not taking with him, he "puts up" with it. Tried movie night, which works some if popcorn is involved.
There's a simple solution to that. Ask him what league he is; if he's in a low league tell him he's too much of a n00b to play and that he should do something else, otherwise let him play.

Hey says he's in Bronze ( not sure if that's good or not )
It's me, Dave, open up, I've got the stuff

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2018, 01:18:08 am »
Wilshire, and whoever else ignoring my words. I apologized not once, but twice, that my initial post regarding gamers was not well worded and thought out. I don't know how many times I can apologize and clarify myself until I am understood.

It very hypocritical for you to say that (because of my initial post, again) because I said people who play video games are more likely to be obese, that all people who work out are gym rats and only speak of sports and the like. I workout, at home. But, ask yourself, is that all I speak of? Hardly. Is like to think imopen to any and all conversations where I have a inkling of expertise or thoughts on the matter. Hell, I took over 4 years for me to open a NFL/sports thread and talk to people on here with similar likes.

And I do get the difference between a professional gamer and someone who just plays games as fun. I realize not all are obese and I tried clarifying that. I just know that it can lead to that.

Look, I get the feeling you guys think I'm an overbearing sports father, in not. I also explained that. I do want and actively try to get my kids active, for all the obvious reasons. Physical and mental health and the enjoyment of being outside. I am a sports junkie myself and always have been. But, I could care less if any of my kids play sports at all. I just want them active and involved in something. Not setting around the house doing nothing. If my kids chose to read, I would be very happy with that (my daughter is an avid reader). If one of my sons wanted to learn an instrument or dance or whatever, I would fully support them. I just don except laziness and doing nothing. That's where I feel that video games could lead to. And that would be a problem with me. Sorry, those are my values, instilled in my since I was a child.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

Dora Vee

• Kijneta
  • The quest--it is your master.
    • View Profile
    • Divinesong
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2018, 05:17:23 am »
I just don except laziness and doing nothing. That's where I feel that video games could lead to. And that would be a problem with me. Sorry, those are my values, instilled in my since I was a child.

Laziness that isn't a symptom of other problems has been a thing long before video games. With people like that, if it's not one thing, it's another.
Faith is the truth of passion. Since no passion is more true than another, faith is the truth of nothing.   
                          -Ajencis, the fourth analytic of man

Redeagl

• Great Name
  • Pun Master
  • WHAT AM I ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2018, 06:15:41 am »

Hey says he's in Bronze ( not sure if that's good or not )
Bronze is the lowest league.
“The thoughts of all men arise from the darkness. If you are the movement of your soul, and the cause of that movement precedes you, then how could you ever call your thoughts your own? How could you be anything other than a slave to the darkness that comes before?”

- Chronicler of the Chroniclers

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2018, 08:49:05 am »
Quote from:  Dora Vee
Laziness that isn't a symptom of other problems has been a thing long before video games. With people like that, if it's not one thing, it's another.

I agree. But, I remember when growing up. Friends who was always outside playing, swimming, fishing and so on. Then the video games started coming out. First Nintendo, then Playstation and a few of my friends did nothing but play those games. And, I'm sure if everyone hear is honest with themselves they've seen the same in their life too. To some its an addiction.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2018, 11:08:53 am »
Quote from:  TLEILAXU
Truth is I don't really care that much, but everytime MSJ says e-sports is not a sport I want to insist that it is.

Call it whatever you like, that doesn't matter. Still not a sport.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2018, 01:35:29 pm »
I just don except laziness and doing nothing. That's where I feel that video games could lead to. And that would be a problem with me. Sorry, those are my values, instilled in my since I was a child.

Exactly DV. This sentiment was buried in one of my posts.

Blaming video games for laziness, obesity, etc., is just comically misguided.

Quote from:  Dora Vee

I agree. But, I remember when growing up. Friends who was always outside playing, swimming, fishing and so on. Then the video games started coming out. First Nintendo, then Playstation and a few of my friends did nothing but play those games. And, I'm sure if everyone hear is honest with themselves they've seen the same in their life too. To some its an addiction.

Can't help from laughing. I guarantee I was one of those kids you're talking about. I never went outside once we got video game systems. But even before then, I'd rather sit in my room and build shit with legos, etc., than go outside and play with friends. Some kids just aren't interested in that

All those 'sports' kids who couldn't count their own fingers and toes, getting degrees in stupid majors so that they could sports super hard for a few more years before joining the real world and realizing they had no life skills because all they did was play sports.

I'm not sure why anyone fights so hard to make sure a video game aren't called sports. They are both equally abused and equally worthless for a person development. Neither has anything to do bettering the player when done improperly, and they are both equally useful if done correctly (which is seldom anyway so why bother bringing it up).
« Last Edit: April 19, 2022, 06:43:42 pm by Wilshire »
One of the other conditions of possibility.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2018, 09:16:47 pm »
Quote from:  Wilshire
Can't help from laughing. I guarantee I was one of those kids you're talking about. I never went outside once we got video game systems. But even before then, I'd rather sit in my room and build shit with legos, etc., than go outside and play with friends. Some kids just aren't interested in that - and I still managed to be a collegiate athlete on scholarship at a D1 school.

And you know who else was there? All those 'sports' kids who couldn't count their own fingers and toes, getting degrees in stupid majors so that they could sports super hard for a few more years before joining the real world and realizing they had no life skills because all they did was play sports.

1. I created this thread because you suggested it and unwanted to see if anyone could reasonably explain (commercial reasons aside) why you'd think a video game as a sport? Not one of you have answered that. What you have done is made this very personal.

2. Wilshire, I guess ill say you just never know someone. Because your comments in this thread are so not the Wilshire I have grown to enjoy and would think established a friendship of sorts.

You're making some of the rudest, judgmental statements I've ever seen. Athletes who cant count their toes? As if all athletes are dumbasses? You were an athlete and in can tell your not. I as and carried a 3.75 GOA through H.S. and no in wasnt skating through. I took all AP courses. This thing you have that athletes are just dumb jocks, is the same as all smart people are socially awkward dorks. Its not true in any sense.

Yes, some athletes could give two shits about earning a real degree to be ready for life. But, many, many of them use it as a way to be prepared for the real world. You have a hate for athletes that shows through rather easily in your posts and its so unlike you. I find it confounding.

I have said 3 times and will say it again the my original post wasn't well thought out. Not a gamers are obese, but it does become of factor in obesity. Same as setting around watching tv, as Tleilaxu pointed out. Ill say it again, sorry for not thinking it through.

But, the reason for the post, for one of you gamer gods to explain to me how you could consider setting on your ads, twiddling your thumbs a sport. Not, one of you have or even tried.

So, I'm therefore done with the conversation, which has turned into a hate bashing session on athletes. As if the are the bane of the world. The do more good than many people would ever imagine (pro athletes). Athletics is a way to prepare children for certain aspects of life. Bit, not sports alone and I would never suggest that. I've even said that if none of my kids played sport a that would be ok. They would just need to be involved in something. Its a rule in my household. To be proactive.

ETA:

They are both equally abused and equally worthless for a person development. Neither has anything to do bettering the player when done improperly.

I call bullshit to the tenth degree. Sports teach a lot of life lessons. How to work with other people. How to take orders and be part of a team. It teaxhes us the ups and downs of life. Winning and losing. If youndont see that, you just don't want too.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 09:22:10 pm by MSJ »

TLEILAXU

• Old Name
  • Exalt-Smiter of Theories
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2018, 09:48:10 pm »
You're making some of the rudest, judgmental statements I've ever seen. Athletes who cant count their toes?...

...But, the reason for the post, for one of you gamer gods to explain to me how you could consider setting on your ads, twiddling your thumbs a sport. Not, one of you have or even tried.
m8

Also, if curling is a sport, so is e-sports. That's just objective fact.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 09:50:08 pm by TLEILAXU »

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2018, 12:12:19 am »
This is one of the oldest debates on another forum i frequent, 15 years and counting. The battle lines have moved barely an inch in the last 15 years and the eternal war continues apace to this day. Having managed to get myself out of that debate i'm going to stay out of this one. I will read it though as perhaps a new point will appear that will help solve the result on the other board :D

I see this debate polarises on this board as much as it did on the previous board.

The other two big arguments on the board is what do you call this

and what happens when you divide by zero.

The food name one is the most hotly contested one, but all of them end up with folk getting suspensions for 3 days when the argument kicks off again

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2018, 02:11:32 am »
 ???
It's me, Dave, open up, I've got the stuff

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2018, 11:51:22 am »
As it turns out, overly general statements are overly general and anecdotes are anecdotal.

There is nothing wrong with playing sports.  Unless you do so to such a degree that you fail to develop other life skills.

There is nothing wrong with playing video games.  Unless you do so to such a degree that you fail to develop other life skills.

Let's try to deescalate here, no reason for such a "simple" topic to devolve into bickering.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2018, 01:04:11 pm »
Plenty of people have answered the question: why is an esport a sport.

It is terribly simple: a sport is an imaginary competition people play. Video games are as real as any other sport.

Exercise is not a sport, therefore, the lack of exercise does not eliminate an activity from being a sport.

Nothing else to be said on topic. Off topic is what the rest of the thread has been: talking about child rearing, psyco-social development of children, etc. etc. Unfortunately, someone who hates something (ie video games) and loves something else (ie sports) can never see the benefit of the former and detriment of the latter.

As someone who has done both extensivel I feel I have a unique perspective worth considering. Obviously, not everyone here feels that way. However, those who are polarized to one side because they have little to no experience with the other, should probably talk less and listen more. Otherwise, we might as well have an angry atheist and a righteous religious leader try to tell each-other that god does/doesn't exist, for all the good it will do.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2022, 06:44:10 pm by Wilshire »
One of the other conditions of possibility.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2018, 01:16:44 pm »
Unfortunately, I still disagree with that definition of sport and that marking anything that is competitive as a sport is overtly broad so to make the term useless, but that is a personal opinion.  Athletic sports (to me) is different that other types of competitive endeavors.  Nothing makes one inherently better than the other, it's just different.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira