• 6 Replies

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« on: May 09, 2013, 03:22:22 pm »
Just read Neuromancer on a whim, didn't realize it was one of sci-fi's most acclaimed novels. Though it was pretty good, laughed at some of the 80's version of the future, but still a good read.

Was muddling around on the interwebz and found this quote, which was added into a re-release in 2000 as an afterword by Jack Womack:
suggest[ed] that Gibson's vision of cyberspace may have inspired the way in which the Internet developed, (particularly the World Wide Web) after the publication of Neuromancer in 1984. He asks "[w]hat if the act of writing it down, in fact, brought it about?" (269).

Don't know if that is true or not, but what a powerful statement... and probably every sci-fi writer's dream, to directly influence the path of future technology. (Of course then I thought... what if cataloging the Dreams, and their differences, fundamentally changed the world around our old Wizard's obsession)

Anyway, good book, a quick read, I'd recommend.

Edit. (so as to not double post):

Anyone here a fan or a critic of Gibson and his writings? I know hes got several other books and I'm wondering if they are worth the read.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 08:40:09 pm by Wilshire »
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Callan S.

• Old Name
  • Warrior-Profit
    • View Profile
    • Philosopher Gamer
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 01:14:48 am »
Yep, the other ones keep up a good deal of the ideas in Neuromancer. There's one, I can't remember it's name, where the story starts with one of the main characters as a child - well, he thinks he is because he's in a virtual world - which he's in because his body is in a vat after being blown up by a phermone seeking missile during a mission. It's a hell of a scene where they've brought him around and he's just walking through an airport, back at work, when his memory comes back and he instantly vomits into a nearby bin, but does so without stopping.

Ultimately the stories contain a kind of romanticism in the various seperate stories intertwining into a final head on climax.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 09:01:01 pm »
I don't know if I just ignored this or totally missed it...

Either way, thanks for the response. I think I'll probably try and pick up the sequel some time in the near future.

Somnambulist

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Incontinent Water-bearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 11:51:08 pm »
There are actually two follow-on novels to Neuromancer.  I read them all years ago, don't remember much, but do remember the titles.
Book 2 is Count Zero
Book 3 is Mona Lisa Overdrive

If you like them, I'd recommend another trilogy of his.  They're also cyber-punkish, but not set as far forward in time as the Sprawl series (Neuromancer, et al).  The books are Virtual Light, Idoru and All Tomorrow's Parties.
No whistling on the slog!

Royce

• Old Name
  • The Resplendent
  • There are no facts,only interpretations- Nietzsche
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 05:48:13 am »
I have this compilation of his short stories called "burning chrome",which you might enjoy ;)

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2013, 05:28:24 pm »
Yeah I knew about the sequels and all that. Thanks for the responses guys.

Morrigan

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2013, 06:51:34 pm »
My favorite Gibson novel is actually Pattern Recognition.  Fantastic quasi-SF novel with lots of typical postmodern elements.