• 34 Replies

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2016, 02:04:33 pm »
I didn't mean to suggest you should incorporate more complex mechanics into your game specifically, just talking about myself.

Generally speaking, I don't think I'm your target audience for this game. I don't play a lot of indie games, or many flash games for that matter. Used to play a lot of flash games, but not so much now. The only thing I've ever programmed was a tic-tac-toe game using, wait for it, visual basic, with an AI that you couldn't beat. I can't imagine trying to actually program a legitimate game.

One of the other conditions of possibility.

Callan S.

• Old Name
  • Warrior-Profit
    • View Profile
    • Philosopher Gamer
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2016, 11:07:29 pm »
Eh, when you're unknown, everyone isn't your audience. That just comes with the territory!

I'm playtersting/finishing off an idle game on another subject at the moment, so I'm considering what to do next.

That 'The forest' game looked like it already had sranc in it!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 11:12:19 pm by Callan S. »

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2016, 11:49:54 pm »
They are cannibal mutants on an island - I'd say about 80% sranc.

Callan S.

• Old Name
  • Warrior-Profit
    • View Profile
    • Philosopher Gamer
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2016, 04:31:14 am »
I'm starting to think of establishing a feeling of exposure and fear of bipeds...not quite sure how as yet. You have to be kind of like Bane - killing the player kind of lets them off the hook...

RedSetter4570

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2016, 07:20:10 am »
The true Bakker game: 

Choose to play as a female or male.

If you play as a male you can become a fighter, a sorcerer, a spy, or a diplomat.  You gain experience and points based on how to manage outcomes.  Then you die, and you are damned, so you lose the game.

If you play as a female you can be a whore, an empress's mother, or the hottest chick in the world.  Here it gets more complicated, because...wait no it doesn't...at the end you get damnation and you lose the game.

If you pay 9.99 you can unlock The Judging Eye, and you may or may not be damned. 
Cero Miedo

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2016, 03:33:19 pm »
Serwe is the most powerful sorcerer in the entire three seas, barring kellhus. Mimara the direct conduit of god, arguably the most important character. The previous empress had a more elaborate network of spys than even the emperor himself (who she managed to kill and escape any major repercussions). Esmi outwitted a half-dunyain. And, as far as we know, everyone except Mimara is damned ... actually,  we've never even seen a woman that's damned, only men.

No reason to have that kind of weird character class dichotomy in a TSA game like what you mentioned, as its not even like that in the books. I suggest a re-read :).
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 04:15:00 pm by Wilshire »

EkyannusIII

• Momurai
  • Archduke Ekyannus of Shitlord Hall
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2016, 06:24:42 pm »
Serwe is the most powerful sorcerer in the entire three seas, barring kellhus.

Has it ever been stated that she is stronger than Saccarees?

Esmi outwitted a half-dunyain.

Esmi had the unintentional good fortune to hire an assassin with the White Luck.  Against anyone else Maithanet would have won handily - you'll note he effortlessly kills that Captain (Imhailas?) that is in love with Esmi after he is ordered to arrest Maithanet during the interrogation scene.
What is reason, but the blindness of the soul?

R. SCOTT RAP3ZT TERRIBLEZ LOLZ.

if Kellhus was thinking all of this, he's going to freak out when he get's back and Kelmomas is all "i lieks to eatum peeples da"

the whole thing is orchestrated by Kellhus who is wearing a Bashrag as if it were a suit

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2016, 12:45:28 am »
Is it ever stated that Kellhus is stronger than Saccarees?
No. But it's implied that he and serwe are the strongest. Some guy that is rumored to have maybe done one metagnostic isn't stronger, IMO.

Esmi was a stretch. She's still brilliant though, as much as I dislike her character.

JRControl

• Momurai
  • Kellhus lied, Harambe died
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2016, 04:11:33 pm »
Seeing Total War Warhammer makes me want to have a TSA variant of that.
“Because you’re a pious man born to a world unable to fathom your piety. But all that changes with me, Akka. The old food pyramids have outlived the age of their intention, and I have come to reveal the new. I am the Slimmest Path, and I say that you are not damned.”

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2016, 04:51:10 pm »
Seeing Total War Warhammer makes me want to have a TSA variant of that.

I think we're well of topic now but Bakker has mentioned the Total War people as the only video game makers who he'd like to do an Earwa game.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Callan S.

• Old Name
  • Warrior-Profit
    • View Profile
    • Philosopher Gamer
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2016, 03:18:00 am »
Sooo, what's a significant event in the sranc hunting forests - how does a company of scalpers moving to claim a large, new section of forest strike folk? Seems a big enough event for a story...

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2016, 08:47:16 pm »
Some good scalping scenes in TJE. Even their intro serves.

Callan S.

• Old Name
  • Warrior-Profit
    • View Profile
    • Philosopher Gamer
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2016, 06:27:11 am »
Since I'm workshopping, I'm thinking the start of the game begins with a textual description of how you were separated from the main group and now s-ranks are hunting you down. You can choose to run or ready yourself for engagement. It's kind of a goad to set things off - who wants to run, eh? Then after that it's a choice between light engagement while trying to gather resources and train in defensive/offensive skills or go on the offensive, trying to strike down s-rank for the bounty on their heads. Another type of provocative question. When this stage of the workshop is done, probably put it up in this primative form on the scirra arcade, link it here and then workshop some more.

Callan S.

• Old Name
  • Warrior-Profit
    • View Profile
    • Philosopher Gamer
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2016, 10:05:56 am »
Knocked off a couple of hours coding somewhat languidly while sick in bed. Decided to write a random item acquisition chance during story text play out. Basically because someone wanted to skip the text in my game 'Lizard Isle' and I get their position, but the text is important for establishing setting. So the more text they allow to play out onto the screen, the higher the chance of getting an extra item. Or they can skip the text to get to play quicker, but miss out on the item chance.

I'm thinking of using a highly transparent circumfix to use as a highlight for buttons when moused over and to pulse when the button is clicked. Just sneak that in there...

Callan S.

• Old Name
  • Warrior-Profit
    • View Profile
    • Philosopher Gamer
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2016, 04:15:14 am »
I was going to use just one image for all interaction buttons, which was going to be this: http://game-icons.net/lorc/originals/wolf-head.html

But then I thought it would be more interesting to use a different icon for three, potentially four interaction buttons.

Anyone see any icons from that site that seem to match TSA pretty well?