How to read TGO books

• 4 Replies

NronFisher

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« on: April 19, 2017, 07:23:44 am »
(A bit of a ramble?)

Hey everyone, so as my semester is coming to an end I intend on reading TGO again because I loved it so much. Only this time I was thinking I would read an individual character's arch (prob Proyas), then the next character. (Akka). I was pondering that the other day and remembered J.R.R. Tolkein wanting to split the books up between Frodo/Sam and Aragorn. I understand that doesn't always work because what people focus on are events, big battles, etc., and so centering a book on events is far more popular and currently in vogue (particularly with Game of Thrones), but I can't help but think centering a reading on characters is more revelatory than events, particularly for something so concept-driven as the PON series. Thoughts? I am glad I read TGO books in proper sequence the first time around, and I think the PON series probably works better when read chapter to chapter rather than character arc by character arc, but I can't wait to read TGO focusing on each character in turn...

...except maybe the Momemn stuff, cuz I don't really care about Kelmomas and the rebellion.

geoffrobro

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 12:07:58 pm »
It does work pretty well reading each characters(location?) By themselves. Then you understand how much each person knows about the events happening around them. Maybe two weeks ago I read thru Sorweels POVs in the TGO, this time it was much more compelling. Everything seemed to stick in my head the second time around. And the fact that kellhus somehow has predicted it all.
Did I make my point or did I ramble off...
"Wutrim kut miā€™puru kamuir!"

BeardFisher-King

• Old Name
  • The 8-Trackless Steppe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 12:23:20 pm »
 I'll note that the prevalent use of multiple POVs has contributed to my difficulties in reading a narrative linearly. Once an author establishes multiple POVs, I become somewhat "unmoored", and I begin skipping ahead to follow a POV of which I don't want to let go.

At this point, TSA and I are such old friends that I'm just dipping in and out of the series the way Kellhus dips in and out of the Probability Trance.

Geoffrobro, I concur.

NronFisher, I am wit chu on Kelmomas. #kelmomasmustdie
"The heart of any other, because it has a will, would remain forever mysterious."

-from "Snow Falling On Cedars", by David Guterson

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 12:53:23 pm »
Sounds like a worthwhile endeavour. Maybe if you get them mapped out you could post briefly about which chapters, or which pages, cover each pov/location.

Do it!
One of the other conditions of possibility.

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2017, 02:13:46 pm »
Faulkner made a nice go of this. Worth a try.
It's me, Dave, open up, I've got the stuff