The Siren Call of Hungry Ghosts [Ghosts, Drug visions, and so on]

• 35 Replies

Francis Buck

« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2013, 02:12:02 am »
I'd love to participate in some of those ceremonies.

Regarding the earlier posts, DXM is a fucking weird drug man. I honestly think it might have some chemical properties that could be important to understanding aspects of the brain as related to its perception of time. I haven't done DXM since my senior year of high school (actually the summer before it to be specific, over which we did it maybe three or four times?). At first we were downing bottles of liquid robitussin, which was horrible and has forever made me want to vomit at even the slightest scent of robitussin. The last time we did it though, we discovered the gel capsules. This allowed us to take a pretty big dose (can't remember exactly, but we're talking handfuls). I know that sounds horribly dangerous, but my friend and I (who's still basically my best friend) we're actually really damn cautious about these kind of "experiments", measuring out dosages as exactly as we could, accounting for active/inactive ingredients, etc. We researched shit pretty intensely before ingesting (I'm also eternally grateful to erowid.com).

Anyway that last DXM trip was probably the craziest drug trip of my life, period. I've done shrooms, salvia, and LSD (though I've never really had a "good" batch of the latter), and nothing compared to DXM. The reason I brought up time is because, even on salvia, I've never experienced the strange perception of time that I did on DXM. I mean my salvia trips lasted ten to twenty minutes and felt like hours or more, but DXM was very unique. There was some dilation of experience (I was watching Animal Planet and a commercial break seemed to last forever), but more than that...and strangely, given that time was stretched within the second-to-second moment...I felt as though I suddenly comprehended how hilariously short the human idea of time is. Like, I was remembering back to my childhood, and the distance from the "now" back to then felt like nothing, less than nothing. Then I started to think about history (at this point I was in the shower, don't ask) and I genuinely felt one of the strongest...I don't know, "revelations", of my life. It was like imagining the history of humanity extending back through the time, and it seemed to go further and further, and yet I was simultaneously realizing how incredibly short that timespan was.

It was also during this same experience that I felt as though I first truly comprehended "life" (and thus humanity) as a sort of expression of chemistry and physics rather than some special thing beyond that. Don't really know how to explain it, since it wasn't really a "oneness" with nature/the universe as some describe, but more like myself being removed from my own human viewpoint and viewing life/humanity as it really is, which in-turn allowed to me comprehend the incredible brevity of our existence, and also our own inextricability from it, rather than being somehow removed (as I think our brains are naturally wired to make us feel, since it's more "comfortable").

Of course, I'm also an extremely skeptical person, and I've felt plenty of crazy, revelational things on various drugs that I've later mostly attributed to the fact that I was, you know, tripping balls, but that DXM one always stuck with me, if only because I've been able to continuously view the same concepts through a more rigorous (and sober) lens and see them remain, as opposed to me being on shrooms and looking at a lamp being like "oh fuck, the light, it's...bright! That's why people believe in angels!" (yes, that "revelation" actually occurred to me).

Royce

• Old Name
  • The Resplendent
  • There are no facts,only interpretations- Nietzsche
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2013, 11:14:17 am »
That sounds pretty interesting Francis :) I have not heard of DMX until now.

Of course, I'm also an extremely skeptical person, and I've felt plenty of crazy, revelational things on various drugs that I've later mostly attributed to the fact that I was, you know, tripping balls, but that DXM one always stuck with me, if only because I've been able to continuously view the same concepts through a more rigorous (and sober) lens and see them remain, as opposed to me being on shrooms and looking at a lamp being like "oh fuck, the light, it's...bright! That's why people believe in angels!" (yes, that "revelation" actually occurred to me).

If you do shrooms alone,and take pretty much,amazing stuff can happen.You can have a dialogue with "it",travel to other "dimensions" often with fantasy like settings.The world you are in is there whether you have your eyes open or shut,which was creepy at first :)

I had many bad experiences with shrooms,mainly because I did them at parties,or when gaming,watching television and so on.After I encountered Mckenna,I learned that psychedelics should be done according to certain rituals to maximize the experience.It works,the experience was totally different when I removed certain distractions.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2013, 02:48:47 pm »
Sounds like we had a similar upbringing, FB.

Our experience of time is nuanced, to say the least. There's a fair bit of literature.

Sorry, not at all doing your post justice but I thought I'd pop in with a time-perception comment. We certainly seem to have the capability of processing much more information, quicker, than we do on a regular basis.

And, Royce, DXM ;), not DMX.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Royce

• Old Name
  • The Resplendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2013, 06:37:00 pm »
And, Royce, DXM ;), not DMX.

Lol,I stand corrected :)

It was also during this same experience that I felt as though I first truly comprehended "life" (and thus humanity) as a sort of expression of chemistry and physics rather than some special thing beyond that. Don't really know how to explain it, since it wasn't really a "oneness" with nature/the universe as some describe, but more like myself being removed from my own human viewpoint and viewing life/humanity as it really is, which in-turn allowed to me comprehend the incredible brevity of our existence, and also our own inextricability from it, rather than being somehow removed (as I think our brains are naturally wired to make us feel, since it's more "comfortable").

It really is a shame that it is so hard to explain these experiences with language.To me it is like trying to describe the meaning of a dream to someone,it just ends up being empty words to anyone but yourself.Maybe these experiences are for you and you alone,since(to me at least) they are almost impossible to describe with words.Or maybe I have not tried the right drugs yet ;)

Francis Buck

« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2013, 06:03:28 pm »
If you do shrooms alone,and take pretty much,amazing stuff can happen.You can have a dialogue with "it",travel to other "dimensions" often with fantasy like settings.The world you are in is there whether you have your eyes open or shut,which was creepy at first :)

I had many bad experiences with shrooms,mainly because I did them at parties,or when gaming,watching television and so on.After I encountered Mckenna,I learned that psychedelics should be done according to certain rituals to maximize the experience.It works,the experience was totally different when I removed certain distractions.

It's funny, I was so excited to take shrooms the first time because I always expected to have a really interesting, introspective experience (which happens to me on basically every other psychedelic, sometimes to the point of discomfort), but every time I've done shrooms it has always been a really..."external" high, if that makes sense. Like I basically just feel great and crack up at the slightest thing, and mostly just kinda revel in the surface level effects of it. I've never tried it completely alone though, so that might have an effect. Shrooms are damn fun though. Something I distinctly remember from several trips was that, even though I was totally tripping and would literally descend into uncontrollable fits of laughter at basically nothing, there was always still sort of a kernel of "sobriety" in the center of my mind. Like, I knew I was tripping, and that I was laughing at completely stupid shit, but I couldn't control it. Always found that interesting, because it didn't happen with my DXM or salvia trips, though it did with acid (although like I said I've never had an especially great acid trip, I got burned several times on fake stuff that I assume was literally just a piece of paper, and then the few real ones I had basically felt like a mild shroom high with slightly more intense visuals). I mean, on my one acid trip I looked in the mirror and saw my own face zombify, and then I was outside and the asphalt looked like a moving bed of insects, both which seem like typical "freak the fuck out" instigators, but neither of them bothered me at all because I still knew I was tripping and I never thought it was "real" or anything.

I still wish to someday try DMT. I could never find it back in my "hey-day" of experimenting.

Royce

• Old Name
  • The Resplendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2013, 02:09:08 pm »
Lol,I have had lots of similar experiences with shrooms.Laughing hard at nothing for hours,and I was seriously afraid of becoming the joker(in batman) constantly smiling.My jaw aching like hell the next day,was also common:).To me this only happened during small doses though,or at the beginning of a bigger trip,like in the first two hours or so.Eventually I drifted away to far away places.