• 4 Replies

Callan S.

• Old Name
  • Warrior-Profit
    • View Profile
    • Philosopher Gamer
« on: November 15, 2013, 06:03:10 am »
Warning: Self indulgent post!

I think I've suddenly realised I blundered by bringing in the idea of indulging some fiction here
http://www.consciousentities.com/?p=1516#comment-209984

I think it's a bit like bringing junk food to a diet group...they've been trying to resist indulging in fiction and here I bring a big old steaming plate of it. I just didn't think! But that's what everyone says, right.

The reply
Yes, let’s be self indulgents for a moment. Why just a receiver !!? the model can be made much more complex: a full duplex communication system, with on-board control units, auto-pilot, virtual reality scenario generator, etc etc.

One thing that I find particularly difficult to fit in this indulging model, is for what reason if “we are in the ether” our consciousness and memory is so attached and linked to the brain, why can’t we have any experience (or remember) on the other side? (at least for ordinary humans). It seems once linked to the brain all the information has to flow through it.

And you know what I want to say? The worst thing is, I don't even buy into the ether thing. But what I want to say is why don't we experience our bodies lying in bed, when we dream?

The wackyness of regular psychology makes it hard to pin these things.

But I think it'd be bad to say that. But I had to let it out! Even as I've miss stepped! Thanks for indulging me!

Royce

• Old Name
  • The Resplendent
  • There are no facts,only interpretations- Nietzsche
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 11:39:26 am »
But what I want to say is why don't we experience our bodies lying in bed, when we dream?

I am not to say that no one has, but I do not know anyone who has experienced that. Have you ever seen any part of yourself in a dream? seen your face in a mirror maybe? I have not.

I am a terrible dreamer though, mostly just a blank nothing. My wife has these vivid and totally crazy dreams, and it sounds very fun to be able to experience that kind of dreams. I was at some point interested in lucid dreaming techniques, especially after seeing the movie "waking life" but I have not followed up on that yet.

Callan S.

• Old Name
  • Warrior-Profit
    • View Profile
    • Philosopher Gamer
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 08:55:53 pm »
I tend to have a few flying dreams and seem to often have the capacity to telekinetically draw objects to my hand. It's pretty neat, at the time! :)

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2013, 04:47:42 am »
But what I want to say is why don't we experience our bodies lying in bed, when we dream?

I am not to say that no one has, but I do not know anyone who has experienced that. Have you ever seen any part of yourself in a dream? seen your face in a mirror maybe? I have not.

I am a terrible dreamer though, mostly just a blank nothing. My wife has these vivid and totally crazy dreams, and it sounds very fun to be able to experience that kind of dreams. I was at some point interested in lucid dreaming techniques, especially after seeing the movie "waking life" but I have not followed up on that yet.

Lucid dreams. read about it.. apparently anyone can learn to "awaken" in their dreams and control them, or at least remember them better... so I'm told.

I'm with you. I rarely dream. And yes, I mean I spend some nights dreamless, which is distincly different than saying that I don't remember them. Who is to say they existed if not me? Ignorant? Perhaps, but I chose to believe that a dream not remember is a dream that didn't exist.

Anyway, I think being aware of your true sleeping self brakes the spell of the dream itself. The trick is be become conscious of your self within the dream but not conscious of yourself in reality... I guess :P. I've at least not heard of anyone who could do both.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Royce

• Old Name
  • The Resplendent
  • There are no facts,only interpretations- Nietzsche
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2013, 07:44:02 am »
Yeah, I have this book called A field guide to lucid dreaming: Mastering the art of Oneironautics, but I have not read it yet. My wife is into this, and she has LSD like dreams regularly :)