• 79 Replies

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
    • First Second Apocalypse
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2013, 12:57:51 am »
Quote from: Wilshire
That is a bit more assuming that I am comfortable with. Also, about Shimeh, I feel like even Bakker at that point was unsure of where the metagnosis would go (though I know probably none will agree with me on that).

In any case, Kellhus wouldn't be so dumb as to let the world know he was tired from his castings. Also, he only 'jumped' a few times in that battle. Actually the only one I can remember is his jump from Moe to the battle, but I'm sure there is more. Certainly though, not nearly as many as it would take to jump from horizon to horizon all the way from Sakarpus to Monmen. That exhaustion would be much more pronounced, and still he cows that cult chick and whisks Esmi away without batting and eyelash.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2013, 12:57:57 am »
Quote from: The Sharmat
Actually isn't there a bit that blatantly stated that there was a baseline human Mandate sorcerer that was famous for being the first non-Dunyain to successfully perform a metagnostic cant?

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2013, 12:58:02 am »
Quote from: lockesnow
yeah, and since all of us rampantly overdetermine every iota of text (and a lot of 'between the lines' text that doesn't exist except in our individually flawed readings (and our group meta readings of positive feedback loops that may ossify incorrect interpretations into pseudo canonical status) too), many of us immediately assumed Bakker was lying to us indirectly and that the above mentioned Mandate Sorcerer (Sacarees I think?) was actually a closet Dunyain.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2013, 12:58:07 am »
Quote from: Curethan
I dunno lockesnow, a lot of the pseudo-canon got left on the westeros threads. 
I think most of us recognise that the books are ambiguous and that we're speculating wildly about this stuff.

Given examples like Titirga and Fane, I don't see what's so hard to swallow about a talented worldborn gnostic sorcerer being able to manage some metagnosis.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2013, 12:58:11 am »
Quote from: sciborg2
There is mention that Saracees sounds like Khellus, but I still don't think he's Dunyain. Twenty years isn't enough time for someone to rise to Grandmaster from out of the blue.

If Bakker just didn't mention this detail, it'll make TUC rather flawed no?

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2013, 12:58:16 am »
I dunno lockesnow, a lot of the pseudo-canon got left on the westeros threads. 
I think most of us recognise that the books are ambiguous and that we're speculating wildly about this stuff.

Given examples like Titirga and Fane, I don't see what's so hard to swallow about a talented worldborn gnostic sorcerer being able to manage some metagnosis.
Greag points, part of my issue with some of the westeros threads pseudo canon is that it often starts with a presumption of authorial infidelity.

Given what Bakker has said about communicating with audiences, particularly in terms of outreach and connecting to normal genre readers I don't think he's trying to be an unfaithful author, rampantly lying to his audience with insane, unfathomable mysteries and misdirection.  I generally default to the books being reliable rather than tricksy.  There is definitely some trickery of course, but I tend to think that the trickery is of the "hidden in plain sight" variety. 

for example, I don't think we should really be questioning the What has Come Before simply because there doesn't seem to be any reason or profitable lines of inquiry in it.  And what's the point of an author lying to his audience with a non-diagetic summation of previous volumes?  But something 'hidden in plain sight' like what the world-virgin Kellhus thinks of the gods Leweth refers to is incredibly insightful in the wake of revelations in the TAE series.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2013, 12:58:21 am »
Quote from: The Sharmat
Bakker doesn't have to deliberately lie to his audience. Plot details gleaned in interviews are nice, but until they actually show up in a published book I assume that they're subject to change as the series progresses.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2013, 12:58:27 am »
Quote from: Madness
I have it on pretty decent authority - not to mention the systematic errors in the What Has Come Before in PON - that the What Has Come Before cannot be trusted.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2013, 12:58:34 am »
I have it on pretty decent authority - not to mention the systematic errors in the What Has Come Before in PON - that the What Has Come Before cannot be trusted.
Must be nice knowing someone on the inside. How do you know you have a good informant?

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2013, 12:58:40 am »
Lol, well, that's the thing about informants. I won't know until their info pans out... which could be awhile with TSA.

But lets look at the facts. I know I can point out at least two or three passages within the What Has Come Before of TWP and TTT that directly contradict what happens in the previous book. There are a number of others that gloss over much needed particulars within the texts.

This should be expected. I wouldn't think an author would just give away everything in the What Has Come Before - which is actually an old strategy within SFF books of the last fifty years. It's not about accuracy, it's about baiting. Especially with paraphrasing rather than quotation.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2013, 12:58:44 am »
Well prove it, let's see some quotation that compares and contrasts the one to the other.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2013, 12:58:49 am »
Well prove it, let's see some quotation that compares and contrasts the one to the other.
Ha I asked this question on another post yesterday, since we are getting off topic and the bored can always use a new post. Though no responses yet.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2013, 12:58:54 am »
Quote from: Borric
I saw the “what has come before” as a sort of official history.
No one believes history books are 100% accurate after all.
And i also saw blatant discrepancies in there.

As for Akka’s power level.
Here is part of the Celmomas Prophecy from TDTCB

The high king shook his head, stilled him with tender eyes.”They call to me. (He’s talking of the Gods)
They say that my end is not the worlds end. That burden they say is yours. Yours Seawatha.

If the above prophecy is to be taken seriously, (and i think that’s exactly what we are heading towards with Akka’s dreams. (A true merging of Akka and Seawatha)
Then the question of Akka’s power, could also be asked of Seawathas power.
And Seawaths is a whole other beast.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2013, 12:59:00 am »
Quote from: coobek
Other than that, I would suggest his power levels are clearly somewhat in excess of 9000.  (Someone had to say it) -.-

Hillarious.

Am just reading the forum and stuff I missed.

Regarding the meritum. Incariol was far better than Akka I feel. I think Kelhus is far better than Quaya now. But after reading the story of False Sun I really feel Titigra was a bad-ass.

So in my op Kelhus>Sheonara>Quaya of old>Kelhus magic offspring>Akka>Meppa>Mandati & Saccarees>Iyoukus and his team.

So if Akka is 9000 then matemathically:

17.999>16.500>16.000>10.000>9.000>8.500>8.250>6.000

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2013, 12:59:07 am »
Wouldn't the meta gnosis raise it an order of magnitude, rather than a mere doubling?