• 14 Replies

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
    • First Second Apocalypse
« on: June 04, 2013, 06:52:57 pm »
Quote from: Auriga
I'm a bit curious about the human slaves of the Nonmen, who apparently were aboriginal to Eärwa. What do we know about them?

Did they get slaughtered by the human newcomers from Eänna along with the Nonmen? I get that impression, although it doesn't say so in the books. Most of the Emwama slaves on the surface (who apparently never rebelled against their masters) seem to have been wiped out, leaving them only in the underground Cil-Aujas and Ishterebinth. The former place kept Emwama mine-slaves even at the time of the Apocalypse. Since I can't imagine any Nonmen doing menial work, there must still be Emwama around in Ishterebinth.

(Am I the only one who imagines Nonman society like the Hindu caste system? With the human slaves as Sudras, the Ishroi as the Ksatriya warrior-caste, and the Quya as the respected Brahmin priestly caste.)

What role did the Emwama generally have? Apart from being domestic slaves, we also know they were used as soldiers in very ancient times (the watch around the Ark were mainly humans, IIRC). Basically, the same role as slaves in a human society. However, in the mines of Cil-Aujas, it obviously went beyond that - they were used in pretty inhuman conditions (bred as livestock, held inside cages in a dark pit, and so on) that created a topos.

How did they look like, and how are they different from Three Seas humans?

Feel free to speculate.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 06:53:03 pm »
Quote from: Ajokli
Those who weren't killed were most likely absorbed into the genetic pool of the Four Nations

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 06:53:10 pm »
Quote from: Borque
It's likely there still are a few left in Ishterebinth.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 06:53:15 pm »
Quote from: Borque
It's likely there still are a few left in Ishterebinth.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking as well. There must be an Emwama slave population there, because I can't see Nonmen doing menial labor and picking up garbage. Especially not when half of them are crazed by amnesia. I expect they also keep human slaves for their breeding experiments, since we know that the Ishroi kept human concubines in Cil-Aujas and tried to impregnate them.

This brings up an interesting possibility - what if Serwa becomes a concubine to the Nonman King in Ishterebinth and gets pregnant? If any human woman is able to bear a half-Nonman child, it must be her. And the Nonmen, who celebrate the rebirth of their dying race, find out that the baby's father was Moenghus...

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 06:53:21 pm »
Quote from: lockesnow
The nonmen are too proud to believe their race could be saved by diluting their blood with dunyain hybrids, imo. 

I do think that Serwa and Moenghus are fucking to try and get her pregnant before Ishterebinth, that's why they're taking so long.  the whole, only one teleportation a day thing is a ruse to deceive Sorweel (and by proxy, deceive the Nonmen) that conveniently gives them plenty of time to get her pregnant.

My guess is that Serwa plans on presenting herself as the Anasurimbor female prophecy fulfillment that Mimara actually IS.  This will be the trigger to pull Ishterebinth off the side of the Consult.  Or her pregnancy will be the thing that prevents the trio from being killed by them upon arrival.  Using Serwa in this way is part of Kellhus' long term plan for Ishterebinth.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 06:53:27 pm »
Quote from: lockesnow
The nonmen are too proud to believe their race could be saved by diluting their blood with dunyain hybrids, imo.

Well, evidently not, since we know the Nonmen in Cil-Aujas did have breeding experiments with their human concubines (and one of them got pregnant twice, although she miscarried). It's not unlikely this is going on in Ishterebinth as well.

Serwa's pregnancy is definitely a part of Kellhus's plan, and he probably knows that there's very little that can sway the Nonmen in Ishterebinth to change their allegiance, apart from the possibility of their race's resurrection.

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 04:49:43 am »
@ Auriga - I hadn't considered the possibility of seeing Emwama in Ishterebinth!  I hope we get something like a slave passing an oral tradition on to Sorweel that contrasts with the Ishroi's version of history.

@ lockesnow - HOLY SHIT!!!  I love what you said:

I do think that Serwa and Moenghus are fucking to try and get her pregnant before Ishterebinth, that's why they're taking so long.  the whole, only one teleportation a day thing is a ruse to deceive Sorweel (and by proxy, deceive the Nonmen) that conveniently gives them plenty of time to get her pregnant.

My guess is that Serwa plans on presenting herself as the Anasurimbor female prophecy fulfillment that Mimara actually IS.  This will be the trigger to pull Ishterebinth off the side of the Consult.  Or her pregnancy will be the thing that prevents the trio from being killed by them upon arrival.  Using Serwa in this way is part of Kellhus' long term plan for Ishterebinth.

Phallus Pendulus

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2014, 04:41:56 pm »
The Emwama were probably literal untermenschen, lol. Bred to be slaves by their amnesiac overlords.

It's interesting that Nostol's backstabbing of the Nonmen turned out to be a reaction to their horrible treatment of the Emwama slaves....we see Nostol as this shitty traitor and bad guy when we read TJE, but a chapter from Nostol's pov wouldn't be too different from those Game of Thrones scenes with Daenerys and the evil slavemasters...

...EVER ARE ALL MEN DECEIVED
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 04:44:22 pm by Phallus Pendulus »

Phallus Pendulus

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2014, 11:04:06 pm »
If the Ketyai are Mediterraneans, the Norsirai are Nordics/Germanics, the Zeumi are Subsaharan blacks, and the Xiuhanni are East-Asians, what race are the Emwama?

Cüréthañ

• Moderator Extraordinaire
  • Old Name
  • Pendulous Fallacy
  • Wizard IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2014, 06:11:46 am »
Aztecs? Maya? Native north americans? Inuit? West asian? Australian aborigines?

I think they were pretty much culturally absorbed by the Ketyai in the Meori empire.
Retracing his bloody footprints, the Wizard limped on.

Phallus Pendulus

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2014, 06:51:25 am »
I think they were pretty much culturally absorbed by the Ketyai in the Meori empire.

The Meori were Norsirai...they were the guys who freaked out and backstabbed the Nonmen in Cil Aujas

Cüréthañ

• Old Name
  • Pendulous Fallacy
  • Wizard IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2014, 07:04:15 am »
Quite right, I confused them with the Cenian Empire, but its more likely be the Cenian predecessors, the Kyraneans.

According to Akka, Meori refugees did liberate Eamwans from Cil Aujis though iirc.

Phallus Pendulus

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2014, 08:02:30 am »
According to Akka, Meori refugees did liberate Eamwans from Cil Aujis though iirc.

Mimara pretty much says right out that the Emwamans being used as human livestock was what made Nostol's guys turn on the Nonmen.

sounds a lot more likely than Akka's bizarro theories about the Meori being butt-buddies of the Ishroi and that Nostol's evil plan was to destroy Cil Aujas with anal herpes, or whatever...he's really been reading too much of that Inchoroi stuff
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 08:08:23 am by Phallus Pendulus »

Cüréthañ

• Old Name
  • Pendulous Fallacy
  • Wizard IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2014, 08:11:55 am »
Haha.  Either way, the Eamwa who weren't enslaved in the mansions must have been effectively integrated or eliminated by the migrating Earwans.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2014, 08:29:52 pm »
Haha.  Either way, the Eamwa who weren't enslaved in the mansions must have been effectively integrated or eliminated by the migrating Earwans.

Interesting if they killed them all off, and thus damned their whole race as well because of xenocide :P
One of the other conditions of possibility.