[TGO SPOILERS] Political upheaval in the New Empire

• 2 Replies

Hirtius/Pansa

• The Afflicted Few
  • Momurai
    • View Profile
« on: June 23, 2016, 06:50:55 am »
I just want to pick your brain on a weird dissonance for me, Scott, about the evolution of the political state of the New Empire from WLW to TGO.  At the beginning of WLW the Imperium is facing a litany of issues: Mass riots in Carythusal and Aoknyssus, Apparati assassinated in key positions, Scylvendi raiding the Gap in large numbers, Famiri tribes massacring their own countrymen who converted to Zaudunyanism and attacking Conriyan estates,Fanim Insurrectionist independent of Fanayal rioting and fomenting rebellion in the old Fanim provinces.  After Esmi is captured by the Shrial Knights during her hiding and then has her discourse with Maithanet, I was under the impression from Maithanet's descriptions that things were getting worse, that the political state of the New Empire was degrading even further.  With all of Maithanet's energy directed to maintaining control in Momemn for the three weeks or-so he was Imperial Custodian it sounded like he couldn't delegate authority effectively.  Then he dies and Fanayal arrives.

In TGO however, all of these external problems are almost yadda yadda'd away? There is a throwaway line about how Esmenet's conviction in resisting Fanayal was galvanizing the rest of the Empire to support her.  But wouldn't those who are ardent opponents of the Anasurimbor not really give a shit?  They would just smell the blood in the water and become even more ferocious.  It seems like something is missing.  I don't want to overstep and say it's a continuity error, but I want to ask: are other political/military operations going on in the background of the Three Seas? There just has to be much more going on.

Cû'jara-Cinmoi

• Momurai
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 01:31:53 pm »
But everything depends on the nature of the external threat when it comes to group identification. This is why weak leaders often start wars. The instant Fanayal--who is far from Orthodox--became a real threat to the Empire, the dynamics of identification were inevitably changed. The Zaudunyani could now accuse Orthodox of Fanim complicity, for one.

Imagine the Mandarin Chinese invading the continental US during the run-up to the Civil War.

Hirtius/Pansa

• The Afflicted Few
  • Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 08:08:26 pm »
Hmm.  Interesting.  I understand your argument.  The issue is that if I was to take our baseline understanding of an Orthodox figure it would have to be Psatma Nannaferi.  She doesn't necessarily view Fanayal as the lesser of two evils, but the Anasurimbor are the greater of two evils, certainly.  If she, as an Orthodox, can tolerate the Fanim as contingent on Yatwer's plans, I naturally assumed that that tolerance was extending to all Yatwerian priestesses who would be fomenting rebellion specifically against the Anasurimbor Dynasty.  If both Fanimry and Zaudunyanni are false and evil, "which is falser and eviler in the eyes of the Orthodox?" becomes the question.

It is cool how 50/50 these political reactions can manifest.  The Capital being besieged can motivate and galvanize the people do defend or it is a divine signifier of disfavor that the empire is weak and must be destroyed.  The leadership of a political party can be assassinated and it can demonstrate to the remaining members that their political ideology was in the wrong and this was a manifestation of that failure, or it can galvanize the members to "double down" on their beliefs to make sure that failure never happens again.

Thanks for the response, Scott!  Appreciate it.