• 33 Replies

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
    • First Second Apocalypse
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2013, 04:07:56 pm »
Quote from: Madness
Cheers, bbaztek. I think it reflects the collection of people here... I hope we're creating a nurturing noosphere.

Geez, Wilshire... I wouldn't want to affect the plot. Only that something gets written :).

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2013, 04:08:03 pm »
Quote from: Triskele
Quote from: bbaztek
Gotta say out of all the forums I've been a part of, I've never seen so many bright, articulate people coming together and actually discussing something with a minimum of bullshit and e-pissing contests. I like to think Bakker lurks here, and even he's slapping his forehead sometimes going 'why didn't I think of that?' That's about the best compliment I can give a fan board. Keep up the good work, guys.

Yep.  That's what I was touching on earlier. 

It's still a board in its nascent days, but so far it's devoid of snark and very substantive. 

It's kind ironic that RSB's critics think he's too abrasive or whatever w/ his online persona that this message board would be so polite.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2013, 04:08:12 pm »
Again, Trisk, the people that make up this noosphere and how we engage it are responsible for it's communicative quality. And you, sir, along with everyone else here, are a big part of it :).

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2013, 04:08:19 pm »
Quote from: Davias
Despite I'm not a very heavy poster,  I must admit, I love this board.
I do not partake in many discussions on the web, but somhow, I had to make an account here  :), because I love Bakker's books so much. And the discussions here are quite interesting. As bbaztek has already mentioned, it's good to see intelligent people talking about the philosophy in Bakker's books and finally I understand some of the things he has written  ;)
In the last few years, my sight of Fantasy Books was turned upside down. I couldn't read those dwarves/elves/D&D trash any more and Bakker's books are a burning beacon in the big and dark world of fantasy for me. I own his works in german and in english language ( sadly, only the first three books are translated to german ) and rereading the series at the moment. Every time, my brain smoke, while handling a question about the Second Apocalypse and this board is the first place, I would go, to find an answer.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2013, 04:08:28 pm »
"R. Scott Bakker's 'Second Apocalypse' cycle will not be remembered for its intricate plotting or spiritual depth, but for its only fan convention, where 4,000 people from all over the country got together to talk about big dicked fish aliens and stare a thousand yards into their drinks"

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2013, 04:08:37 pm »
Lol is that another bbaztek original? Are you the RSB sock-puppet ;)?!

Davias thanks for chiming in. Too cool. I'm doing Latin for school right now, have learned (and forgotten) 10 years of French immersion, despite it's subsequent and lingering influence on my English use, but I've always wanted to learn German - not only to read all those amazing original German texts but also to read Bakker...

I've asked Happy Ent on Westeros this before and he had mixed feelings but are the philosophical ideas communicated originally in German clearer for that when reading PON in German?

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2013, 04:08:43 pm »
Quote from: Wilshire
"R. Scott Bakker's 'Second Apocalypse' cycle will not be remembered for its intricate plotting or spiritual depth, but for its only fan convention, where 4,000 people from all over the country got together to talk about big dicked fish aliens and stare a thousand yards into their drinks"

I'd take that, would be pretty cool.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2013, 04:08:51 pm »
Quote from: Davias
I've asked Happy Ent on Westeros this before and he had mixed feelings but are the philosophical ideas communicated originally in German clearer for that when reading PON in German?

The translation of Bakker's first three books in German was better than a lot of other fantasy books, which were translated in my language. "A Song of Ice & Fire" for example, sounds horribly on some parts in my opinion. But despite my weak english, I think, I grasp Bakker's ideas better, when I read his books in the original language ( and a little bit assisted by a good dictionary  :) )

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2013, 04:08:58 pm »
Quote from: Galbrod
I haven't that much to add on the german language part, but the combination of depth of knowledge with a friendly attitude towards newbies (me) makes this forum super! Many thanks to Madness for devoting time/energy to create this!

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2013, 04:09:06 pm »
Thanks, Davias.

Are there any first language SFF fantasies that aren't written in English that people read? I had a fantastic linguistics professor who shared my thought that many of real-world, global problems arise out of communicative issues on an individual basis - for instance, that the language of politics should be something neutral/purposeful like using Nonmen tongues for Mannish sorceries. I hope to take some rhetoric courses with her in the future.

Lol, the ultimate fantasy language could be envisioned ;)...

Galbrod, you're awesome. Think nothing of it and immerse yourself. Bakker did all the work for us in exposing his mind to the world and demanding some rigour of our mental lives.

Plus, I literally can't think of a stranger collection of people. There are... well, world changing possibilities as far as the generation and formulation of ideas, the academic disciplines we're involved in, the network we're forming here. I'm just happy to be a part and I can only be grateful that Bakker draws such an honest, communicative crowd.

Don't worry, we were all newbies to Bakker once :D!

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2013, 04:09:13 pm »
Quote from: Mog Kellhus
Another thumbs up from me Madness!Three Seas shutting down was a loss for every Bakker fan and the literature section in Westeros is not enough.So even though i am mostly a lurker i have to thank you for creating this place.Keep up the good work everyone!!And remember.....woe comes!(Hopefully in 2013).

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2013, 04:09:21 pm »
Woe comes, Chigras...

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2013, 04:09:29 pm »
Quote from: Ajokli
Who knows. This place might just explode with avid posters one day

I'm sure the Breaking of the Gates will occur once TUC is unleashed

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2013, 04:09:36 pm »
For effect, I must write this out in full. The Unholy Consult makes me want to bow to Mecca [London] and pray fives times a day.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2013, 04:09:43 pm »
if Bakker was a god his ritual offerings would be a master's thesis slathered in vaseline