Greetings All

• 7 Replies

Onrack

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« on: June 09, 2016, 11:43:19 pm »
Yes, I'm part of the unwashed Srancesque horde come due to the Advanced Reader Copy. But I do hope to engage in proper discussion eventually, though given the depth and breadth of what I've seen round here I think it'll take time before I can join in!

In truth, I'd feel rather guilty winning this competition, given that I'm only partway through my first re-read of the series and there's much more ravenous fans them me around. Ok, not that guilty, still wanna win this thing. Never had an ARC, it's all prestigious and shit. Now to think up questions...

First picked up the Darkness that Comes Before 3 years ago and tore through the series. I think I'd seen it heartily recommended (and hotly debated) over at Westeros.org, which I sometimes lurk around. No doubt there were many, many things I missed entirely on my first read through given all the layers and my lack of philosophical knowledge, but I've enjoyed the series greatly. Oddly enough I didn't realize this place existed, never did the research I suppose. I'll be getting reading through these threads soon, though recommendations on where to start would be nice!

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2016, 12:45:53 am »
Well, I for one, am glad you're here. Welcome to the Forum.

Don't feel guilty for winning. Lots of the most ravenous fans have bought and bribed their way to ARCs, some 12+ have been up for sale on ebay, many selling for over $100 (which, IMO, is a ridiculous sum, but to each his own). As for everyone else... well, that's just the nature of open contests.

Honestly, don't worry about past discussion. They're old and dusty anyway. Feel free to dredge up topic or thread and post anew, or make your own.
All it takes is a first step. I'd challenge you to pick a couple threads at random and make a couple posts. Most of us around here are friendly enough ;).

A single read through is where most people are. A bare handful have done more than that, and of course you have the lunatic fringe who have gone through several times more than that.
Where to start? Start wherever you're most interested - or make a new topic. Don't feel like you've got to read through everything before you're qualified to post, or some such ridiculousness. Participation is what makes this place interesting. The more, the better.

Nice name, btw. I've only got Crippled God left and I've read through all of Erikson's Malazan. Good stuff.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 12:51:07 am by Wilshire »
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Onrack

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2016, 01:10:28 am »
Thank you for the warm welcome Wilshire.

Ha alright, no guilt from me then! Jesus, over 100 dollars already? I suppose that's impressive in it's own way, a testament to the dedication of some fans.

Alright, sounds good. It's nice to hear you folks don't mind things being drudged up or discussed anew, I've found some forums inhospitable on that front. The aforementioned Westeros.org has a tendency to pounce on newcomers and crucify em' for not being up to date on their theories. I'm sure I'll pop into a few random threads in the next few days asking noob questions.

Does the big man Bakker himself post here by the way?

Malazan is near and dear to my heart, even if there's big chunks where I'm sure I have no idea what happened. The Cripples God is a solid conclusion, a miracle given what a glorious clusterfuck the series is!

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2016, 01:23:07 am »
Thank you for the warm welcome Wilshire.

Ha alright, no guilt from me then! Jesus, over 100 dollars already? I suppose that's impressive in it's own way, a testament to the dedication of some fans.

Alright, sounds good. It's nice to hear you folks don't mind things being drudged up or discussed anew, I've found some forums inhospitable on that front. The aforementioned Westeros.org has a tendency to pounce on newcomers and crucify em' for not being up to date on their theories. I'm sure I'll pop into a few random threads in the next few days asking noob questions.
I'm terribly selfish. My welcoming words are a lever with which I hope to tip the scales of participation. New blood makes for the best theories. As for other forums, I wouldn't know, but the described behavior seems non-conducive for cultivating new opinions.

Does the big man Bakker himself post here by the way?

Not that I know of... Yet. But maybe...

Malazan is near and dear to my heart, even if there's big chunks where I'm sure I have no idea what happened. The Cripples God is a solid conclusion, a miracle given what a glorious clusterfuck the series is!
That brings hope to my soul. I'm with you, its an incredible journey, and some parts I'm entirely lost, but its still great, I just hope the conclusion is satisfying. I don't need a pretty bow tied around everything, but it needs to be a strong finish to make the whole thing worth while.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2016, 01:42:48 am »
Welcome to the Second Apocalypse, Onrack. Seconded the things Wilshire said. We're a strange intersect of people. Most interesting. Dive in :).
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2016, 03:54:03 am »
Welcome @Onrack! I too was a newbie once, and will tell you, hands down, nicest group of people on the net. Never seen anyone ridiculed for any theory or speculation, no matter how outlandish. Hey, and mine are most outlandish of all sometimes, lol. I've said it twice now, very impressed with the newcomers questions and predictions, it's great to have new ideas to throw around. Welcome, again!
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2016, 03:49:21 pm »
Welcome to TSA.

Always nice to see new people. Hopefully we can see more interaction and a swelling of the ranks!

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2017, 05:32:24 pm »
Yes, I'm part of the unwashed Srancesque horde come due to the Advanced Reader Copy. But I do hope to engage in proper discussion eventually, though given the depth and breadth of what I've seen round here I think it'll take time before I can join in!

In truth, I'd feel rather guilty winning this competition, given that I'm only partway through my first re-read of the series and there's much more ravenous fans them me around. Ok, not that guilty, still wanna win this thing. Never had an ARC, it's all prestigious and shit. Now to think up questions...

First picked up the Darkness that Comes Before 3 years ago and tore through the series. I think I'd seen it heartily recommended (and hotly debated) over at Westeros.org, which I sometimes lurk around. No doubt there were many, many things I missed entirely on my first read through given all the layers and my lack of philosophical knowledge, but I've enjoyed the series greatly. Oddly enough I didn't realize this place existed, never did the research I suppose. I'll be getting reading through these threads soon, though recommendations on where to start would be nice!

WELCOME ONRACK! I KNOW WHAT THAT PIC REFERS TO!