Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« on: March 14, 2014, 11:16:25 am »
I had a soft spot for much of Gemmell's stuff growing up. Mostly, Drenai and Rigante but especially his stand-alones.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Kellais

• Kijneta
  • The True Old Name
  • Damnation Dealer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 04:16:05 pm »
Yup, Gemmell had some nice stories. Although i still think Drenai (not so sure about Rigante) also counts as stand alone ;) Every book was its own story...sure, it played out in the same world but it was not a continous story.

Too bad he died so early :(
I'm trapped in Darkness
Still I reach out for the Stars

"GoT is TSA's less talented but far more successful step-brother" - Wilshire

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 10:01:41 pm »
Gemmell will always have a soft spot in my heart. Gemmell is the reason I started reading Fantasy. A freinds dad was into reading and lent me Dark Moon. I was 11 years old. I cannot describe how epic that story is at 11 years old, Dace/Tarantio, Duvodas, the Eldarin Pearl and the big hulking Daroth. Not sure its an appropriate read for 11 years old though haha

I have since read everything Gemmell has written which I think is about 40 novels.

I will remember Gemmell for the characters - not the baddies, they were almost always of a similar order. The goodies though - oh the goodies. Druss, Waylander and Connovar. The Connovar stuff was probably my favourite.

The novels tied into each other as well. Last Sword of Power series tying into the Greek Series which also tied into Jon Shannow with the Sipstrassi - actually tied in very loosely to the rigante early stuff as well. Then a couple of the standalones had the Source which was pretty cool.

Such a shame Gemmell has passed, his Troy stuff was some of his most well written yet and I think given another decade he would have written his finest works.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2014, 01:41:16 pm »
I've been missing some great posts.

Dark Moon is such a great title.

I agree, I think he was growing with his Troy series, as well, SR.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 01:41:17 pm »
Dark Moon was such a cool book. Main dude is basically a nice guy with split personality syndrome where his other side is a murderous bastard.

Like an antagonist and protagonist sharing the same body! :)

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2014, 01:58:38 pm »
Echoes of the Great Song is another great standalone :).
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Somnambulist

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Incontinent Water-bearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2014, 02:42:00 pm »
Only read 3-4 Drenai novels and that was many moons ago.  Pretty much loved them at the time, though.  Only stand-alone I read was Knights of Dark Renown, which was pretty cool, too.  I always felt like there were a lot of great stories by Gemmel out there, just never got around to reading them.  Might try reading another based on the comments in this thread.
No whistling on the slog!

Garet Jax

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2014, 03:06:13 pm »
Only read 3-4 Drenai novels and that was many moons ago.  Pretty much loved them at the time, though.  Only stand-alone I read was Knights of Dark Renown, which was pretty cool, too.  I always felt like there were a lot of great stories by Gemmel out there, just never got around to reading them.  Might try reading another based on the comments in this thread.

I believe I am going to try as well, Somnambulist.  I don't think I have read such good reviews, aside from Bakker, from everyone who has posted.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2014, 04:32:11 pm »
When I was growing up they were my go-to pulpy reads, GJ. They're basically flawless in terms of great heroes, legions of faceless badguys (minus Tanaka Khan :) ), and good-shall-win-out narratives.

Sometimes there are some deeper themes explored but I would never compare Gemmell and Bakker... Gemmell is probably the anti-Bakker, to be honest.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Garet Jax

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2014, 04:59:31 pm »
Does Gemmell's novels have interesting and bad ass peripheral characters?

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2014, 05:00:32 pm »
Hmm... yes? But I don't think there are any Athjeari's to be found within.

EDIT: Also, White Wolf was one of my favorites.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Somnambulist

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Incontinent Water-bearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2014, 05:24:26 pm »
Does Gemmell's novels have interesting and bad ass peripheral characters?

The Thirty are my all-time favorite secondary characters/group.
No whistling on the slog!

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2014, 09:48:49 am »
Hey Madness,

Echoes of a Great Song was cool. The Avatars with the cool laser bows. Sci-fi fantasy mix-up with some Bloodthirsty Crystal Queen.

Hey GJ,

Well I take it from your name you like the character Garet Jax from Shannara. If you do then Gemmell is probably a good read for you - for me the characters are everything and Gemmell writes great characters. I agree what Madness says, where Bakker can be bleak and desolate Gemmell can be pure and uplifting. Totally different authors and Gemmell is a much easier read with a generally tighter focused cast without the epic scope.

Many of Gemmells novels have the same themes and messages within them - this is not to say they are stuffed down your throat like Goodkind but nice and subtly delivered.

Hey Som,

Do you mean the original Thirty or the second formation? I remember Dardalion forming the Thirty a second time after their defeat at Dros Purdel (sp?) Either incarnation rocks!

Skillgannon with the Swords of Night and Day is one of my favourite characters, along with the ice cold Waylander. Waylander is the guys who brings a crossbow to a sword fight - BOSS!

I think I might start re-reading Gemmell soon, Ive read every novel Gemmell has ever written! :) I don't know what makes me like Gemmell so much, its just a general tone or feeling I get when reading him. Gemmells novels come across like fireside camp tales to me and always seem to move me on an emotional level. Such a shame he passed when he did.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 09:53:23 am by SilentRoamer »

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2014, 01:01:38 pm »
Sci-fi fantasy mix-up with some Bloodthirsty Crystal Queen.

:)

I agree what Madness says, where Bakker can be bleak and desolate Gemmell can be pure and uplifting. Totally different authors and Gemmell is a much easier read with a generally tighter focused cast without the epic scope.

Well, it's epic across its evolution. As you highlighted, Gemmell basically just kept writing the stuff together. Think of Legend to the later unifying events of the Legend of Deathwalker prequel.

Also, love the Waylander crossover moments.

Gemmell really doesn't pull any punches about being for the "Good." It would really be interesting to hear Bakker's opinion of something that is as unapologetic like Gemmell.

I remember Dardalion forming the Thirty a second time after their defeat at Dros Purdel (sp?) Either incarnation rocks!

But second incarnation Thirty has the added element of being the reformation... it's that much more epic :)!
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer