• 164 Replies

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 09, 2018, 04:00:12 pm »
Thanks Thelli (I can't decide how to abbreviate your name :P). As I said, I think I'll read some sequels. It really seems that everyone agrees that later books are where its at. This kind of goes against my rule, but unlike Prince of Thorns which I very nearly hated, Storm Front had elements that I really liked. I'm tempted to read more, and your encouragement makes it all the  more enticing.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

ThoughtsOfThelli

• Great Name
  • Thelli's Revenge
  • Approximation of a Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 11, 2018, 10:55:40 pm »
Thanks Thelli (I can't decide how to abbreviate your name :P). As I said, I think I'll read some sequels. It really seems that everyone agrees that later books are where its at. This kind of goes against my rule, but unlike Prince of Thorns which I very nearly hated, Storm Front had elements that I really liked. I'm tempted to read more, and your encouragement makes it all the  more enticing.

Either Thelli or ToT (or any variation thereof) is fine. :)
Glad to hear you'll add some sequels to the list further down the road!
"But you’ve simply made the discovery that Thelli made—only without the benefit of her unerring sense of fashion."
-Anasûrimbor Kayûtas (The Great Ordeal, chapter 13)

"You prefer to believe women victims to their passions, but we can be at least as calculating as you. Love does not make us weak, but strong."
-Ykoriana of the Masks (The Third God, chapter 27)

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 14, 2018, 03:00:45 pm »
The Colour of Magic (Diskworld 1) byTerry Prachett (16)

That was a quick read. Pretty entertaining - very silly and full of joy. I might throw in some more Prachett if I'm looking for something of the sort in the future. Definitely different than my typical fantasy fare but a nice change of pace.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 21, 2018, 12:43:14 pm »
Leviathan Wakes (Book 1 expanse) by James S A Corey (17)

You know, it started out feeling a bit mediocre but I ended up liking it quite a bit. If anyone has read more of these, could you help me out? Does the series get better from here, and do subsequent novels follow a similar form - some kind of mashup between space opera and detective novel? Consistent timeline/characters or new cast for each?

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 21, 2018, 01:49:30 pm »
Ive read them all and its well worth your time. There is a TV series too, but id read the books before watching rhe show.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 24, 2018, 05:37:16 pm »
Leviathan Wakes (Book 1 expanse) by James S A Corey (17)

You know, it started out feeling a bit mediocre but I ended up liking it quite a bit. If anyone has read more of these, could you help me out? Does the series get better from here, and do subsequent novels follow a similar form - some kind of mashup between space opera and detective novel? Consistent timeline/characters or new cast for each?

The plot does take it to more space opera places, for the most part, but the overall sense is generally the same.  It's the same cast though, plus and minus a few people here or there.  It's solidly good, but not amazing.  It doesn't reinvent the wheel, it's just a real good wheel.

I'm realizing right now that I am not sure I've actually finished a book yet this year...
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 05:39:16 pm by H »
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 30, 2018, 12:59:34 pm »
Read Fairie Tale, by Raymond Feist (10). I liked it a lot. As I just said in the Quorum, not your average Fantasy book. Heck 90% of the novel takes place in the real world. Not to say there isn't fantasy aspects, because there are. A refreshing read.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 08, 2018, 05:21:15 pm »
Legend by David Gemmell (18)

This was a beautiful book. To me it read like a love poem to death - or at least, to the people to struggle with death in their lives and learn to overcome the grief and keep living. I found it deeply touching, though the ending was disappointing for spoiler reasons. Still a phenomenal book though, deeply emotional and moving. I'd give it 5/5 but the ending loses it a half, so 4.5/5.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 05:26:12 pm by Wilshire »

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 25, 2018, 05:39:51 pm »
Fahrenheit 451 (19). 2 books in June, slow month :P

Interesting book, this is the first time I read it. Culturally really relevant right now, there's a lot of poignant commentary that holds true for the state of the world as it is today (even though its 50 years later).

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 26, 2018, 03:13:48 am »
Havent updated in awhile, but I've read a few here and there.

Started and just finished the RiftWar Saga.

(10) Magician, by Raymond E. Feist
(11) Silverthorn
(12) Darkness at Stenathon

I enjoyed it, but nothing outside the normal realm of fantasy.

(13) Winter Halo, by Keri Wither
So, so. Wife had it laying around and gave it a go. Meh.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 27, 2018, 05:30:02 pm »
Sufficiently Advanced Magic by Andrew Rowe (20)

Someone on r/fantasy described this as a LitRPG. It was ... pretty interesting. Read a lot like Ready Player One. Fast paced, entertaining, kind of read like playing a video game. Its the first in a series, and there's enough intrigue and cool magic to make me want to read more. It also made me want to boot up an old Final Fantasy game. Altogether a decent book, especially for a first novel that was self published.

I'm going to see if I can read about 2 books a month. Will reevaluate in August.

So put me down for 20.

Welp, guess I'm done with 20. Still plenty left on my to-read list though. I think I'm going to pick up Poppy War by R. F Kuang, or maybe Three Body Problem if I want to switch back to scifi.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 05:48:04 pm by Wilshire »

BeardFisher-King

• Old Name
  • The 8-Trackless Steppe
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 27, 2018, 05:41:08 pm »
I'd be interested in your opinion of TBP, if you choose that path.
"The heart of any other, because it has a will, would remain forever mysterious."

-from "Snow Falling On Cedars", by David Guterson

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 27, 2018, 08:09:05 pm »
Just started The Warded Man, by Peter V. Brett, 1st in the Demon Cycle.

I'm only a chapter or two in and its already grabbed by attention. Not only the premise, which(this isnt spoiler) is demons (corelings) comeout at night and hunt humans, which I find very neat the way its handled even early on. But, the pace and prose are just great. Easy reading, like say, Abercrombie. And, after the Riftwar Saga, I need that..

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 29, 2018, 11:42:52 am »
I still don't really know if I should "count" books I've listened to, but I did finish the audio version of Peterson's 12 Rules for Life.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 02, 2018, 01:50:52 pm »
Three-Body Problem by Cixin Liu (21)

Though provoking and compelling, I'm glad this book has had success. I'll definitely be looking to read the others in the series.

On to Poppy War. Interesting book so far.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 01:57:01 pm by Wilshire »