mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #45 on: November 19, 2014, 04:12:33 pm »
Oh man, my time is burning up like something that burns up fast and is time. I promise i will! All these goshdarn 1800's tomes laying around! Disorder! Even got something bizare written by a minor princess :P

Btw, there is some book out there called Titus Again or something? It was just written recently by his wife and i hear its not worth it. If u make it all the way to the end of Titus Alone, lets cry about it together, beat our chests, drink and howl about the lonely noble freedom of it all!

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2014, 04:48:11 pm »
Dude, u have ur own book guy?! U r that guy who says "i have a guy that gets books for me, guy."

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 19, 2014, 05:03:03 pm »
A "bookie" lol.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 19, 2014, 06:01:38 pm »
Yeah I am on familiar terms with my local second hand book market trader. He has a list of authors/titles and knows the sort of stuff I like. Often when I go to him he has something at the back he keeps for me. I do buy a lot of books from him!

Maybe he has people buying books for him, so like Im the 3rd purchaser by proxy.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 19, 2014, 06:08:40 pm »
At $1 a book, its hard to imagine it exchanged many hands.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2014, 08:30:36 pm »
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 20, 2014, 12:43:40 pm »
At $1 a book, its hard to imagine it exchanged many hands.

I think this guy buys them in bulk on Ebay or goes to some secretive book society where they have all old sci fi- you know the sort of places with hoods, masks and rituals involving incense and the entrails of small animals.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 20, 2014, 01:44:09 pm »
Must be low on medium-sized woodland creatures if you use the small ones, but yeah I get the idea.

Those damn secret societies.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 01, 2014, 03:32:25 pm »
Picked up Gardens of the Moon that matches my set of Malazan books (Tor BCE) Will be looking for the rest of them...

The Gap Into Conflict: The Real Story. Good condition, HC.

Almosted grabbed a copy of Eragon that matched my hardcover set but didn't appreciate the price/condition.

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2014, 04:18:04 pm »
Recent purchases:

Iain M. Banks: Consider Phlebas
- SB in good condition.
£2 from British Heart Foundation.
Goerge Orwell: 1984 - Modern Classics SB in perfect condition.
Goerge Orwell: Animal Farm - Modern Classics SB in perfect condition.
Shameful I didn't own the Orwell books already.

Arthur C. Clarke and Gentry Lee: Garden of Rama - SB in good condition.
£1 from a charity store.

Timothy Zahn: Star Wars Heirs to the Empire #2: Dark Force Rising - SB in decent condition, has some wear but no damage.
Timothy Zahn: Star Wars Heirs to the Empire #3: The Last Command - SB in decent condition, has some wear but no damage.
Barbara Hambly: Star Wars Planet of Twilight - SB in good condition, has minor wear but no damage.
3 for £1 at a charity store.
Such a shame the first Zahn book wasn't available.

Robin Hobb: The Liveship Traders #1: Ship of Magic - SB in good condition.
Robin Hobb: The Tawny Man Trilogy #2: Fools Errand - SB in good condition.
Robin Hobb: The Farseer Trilogy: Royal Assassin - SB in good condition.
3 for £1 at a charity store.

Looking forwards to Christmas, have my eye on some nice Waterstones purchases as I always end up with vouchers.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 07:26:31 pm by SilentRoamer »

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 08, 2014, 06:03:44 pm »
Hate it when I double post with purchases.

Tad Williams: Memory, Sorrow and Thorn #3: To Green Angel Tower Seige - Decent condition SB with some wear.
£1.50 from a charity store.

Joe Abercrombie: The First Law #1: The Blade Itself - Good condition SB.
Michael A. Stackpole: Star Wars New Jedi Order: Dark Tide #1: Onslaught - Great condition SB.
Michael A. Stackpole: Star Wars New Jedi Order: Dark Tide #2: Ruin - Great Condition SB.
Michael P. Kube-McDowell: Star Wars The Black Fleet Crisis #1: Before the Storm - Great Condition SB.
Michael P. Kube-McDowell: Star Wars The Black Fleet Crisis #2: Shield Of Lies - Great Condition SB.
Michael P. Kube-McDowell: Star Wars The Black Fleet Crisis #3: Tyrant's Test - Great Condition SB.
3 for £1 so all 6 for £2. Brilliant! Place had a load of Star Wars books as well so I think I will pop back at some point. Lucky finding some Abercrombie tucked away in the shelves.

Probably no more until Christmas where I have quite a few brand new purchases lined up.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2014, 08:20:22 pm »
Blade itself was a good find in there.

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 12, 2014, 07:37:46 pm »
David Gemmell: Waylander - SB in great condition. Same cover type as the Waylander II I picked up last week. You can never have anough Gemmell and this will make a nice loan copy.
Suzanna Clarke: Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell - SB in great condition. This is the red cover with the bird and is slightly better than the one with the cat. MG and many other have rec this.
Michael Moorcock: Corum: The prince in the Scarlet Robe - SB in great condition.
3 for £1. Incidentallly this is the same place as I got The Blade Itself from last week and next door to a large library so I am wondering if they get books donated from the library. This is the place that had all the Star Wars books - all of them had gone by today, a lady said someone came in and bought the lot - which I intended to do today. Scoundrel.

Stephen King: The Dark Tower #3: The Waste Lands - SB in great condition. Only need Wolves of Calla now and I have the whole Dark Tower series.

Robin Hobb: The Liveship Traders #2: Mad Ship - SB in good condition. This is the same cover as the one I got last week.
£1.50
Robin Hobb: The Liveship Traders #3: Ship of Destiny - SB in good condition some minor wear. Different cover set to the other two.
£1.00
Both from my usual market trader - I knew he had these but havent bought them as I needed book 1 which I found last week.

Raymond E. Feist & Janny Wurts: Empire Trilogy #1: Daughter of the Empire - SB in good condition, minor wear. I already have the whole series but I really like this series and I only have one copy so this can be a loan copy - plus its a different cover, if I was recommending any of Feist these 3 would be among them.
Trudi Canavan: The Black Magician Trilogy #1: Magicians Guild - I have read all of these series by Canavan so it's just some filler.
Lois McMaster Bujold: The Vorkosigan Saga #12: Komarr - HB with a cool DJ cover, some minor wear.
50p each abslute bargain from a market trader.

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 15, 2014, 08:45:12 pm »
Small purchase today:

Iain M. Banks: The Hydrogen Sonata - SB in great condition. Such an awesome title.
25p
Valery Leith: Everien #: The Company of Glass - SB in great condition.
25p
Robert Jordan: The Wheel of Time #7: A Crown of Swords - HB in good condition. DJ also in good condition. Not sure if I have this as I think I have one of the later volumes missing and couldn't remember which one, some I have multiple copies. Hopefully it was 7 I needed.
50p

I think I am going to have to do a full inventory of my books so I stop buying the same books twice.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 09:17:20 pm by SilentRoamer »

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 15, 2014, 09:17:19 pm »
Let me know what duplicates you have. Maybe international media mail is worth it ;)

Iain M. Banks: The Hydrogen Sonata - SB in great condition. Such an awesome title.

I had pretty much this exact same thought ('great' instead of 'awesome') before I read your comment.