Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2014, 06:47:19 pm »
IIRC the Mangaecca were banned largely because they revived Aporatic sorcery.

TTT Glossary says impiety if I remember right. Which I believe I mentioned around here recently... were contemporary Schools really considered pious, otherwise?
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2014, 06:52:53 pm »
Maybe a looser interpretation of the Tusk, coupled with the inherent power granted to those closest to the Tutors. Schoolman might have occupied a similar caste as the Quya within the human community. According to the history we are given, the modern day schools didn't even form until after the Scholastic Wars. Might have been that schoolmen where looked at much different before the Apocalypse laid waste to all.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2014, 03:36:04 am »
Maybe a looser interpretation of the Tusk, coupled with the inherent power granted to those closest to the Tutors. Schoolman might have occupied a similar caste as the Quya within the human community. According to the history we are given, the modern day schools didn't even form until after the Scholastic Wars. Might have been that schoolmen where looked at much different before the Apocalypse laid waste to all.

The do seem to have a different social role in the False Sun.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2014, 02:28:33 pm »
The do seem to have a different social role in the False Sun.
Great point. Both characters in that short seem to come from wealthy aristocratic lifestyles. Granted, the SS also live in similar lavish, but this seems much more widespread in TFS.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Cüréthañ

• Moderator Extraordinaire
  • Old Name
  • Pendulous Fallacy
  • Wizard IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 21, 2014, 10:56:58 pm »
Strikes me that the anarcane ground in the north is where the chorae were created.
Retracing his bloody footprints, the Wizard limped on.

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 22, 2014, 01:39:59 am »
Strikes me that the anarcane ground in the north is where the chorae were created.

Maybe one of the characters will get to Atrithau and we'll see a ruined chorae factory.  I wonder if Atrithau's designation as "anarcane" is really just a set up to prepare the reader for another anarcane ground, like in Eanna or north of Golgotterath.

Francis Buck

« Reply #51 on: July 22, 2014, 04:22:49 am »
I wonder what actually causes anarcane ground. I mean we have the explanation that these places are where the God dreams most lucidly, but that's super vague and doesn't really explain the specifics. On the other hand, topoi have very specific reasons behind their existence and creation.

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2014, 05:42:43 am »
I wonder what actually causes anarcane ground. I mean we have the explanation that these places are where the God dreams most lucidly, but that's super vague and doesn't really explain the specifics. On the other hand, topoi have very specific reasons behind their existence and creation.

Perhaps topoi and anarcane are somehow opposites?  Heaps of suffering cause topoi, perhaps some really 'good' deeds would seal the world more completely from hell.  While on this tangent, any topoi that bring you closer to heaven (if there is one)?

Cüréthañ

• Moderator Extraordinaire
  • Old Name
  • Pendulous Fallacy
  • Wizard IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2014, 06:27:20 am »
Yeh, Golgotteroth ain't gunna be anarcane ground. 

Would kind of ruin the Consults day if they couldn't do sorcery there.  (Especially Shae and Aurang).

Like I say, a Chorae undoes the Mark as well as the effect of sorcery, perhaps the manufacture of Chorae kind of irons out the ability to make a Mark/use sorcery in that region.  Like an anti-mark.
Enchantments are laid on objects (sorcery cannot create anything besides channeling energy, from what we know) - e.g. the artefacts they recover from Sauglish would become mundane if they touch Mimara's chorae.  This indicates that Chorae are manufactured objects, that are then enchanted. 

The Mark or stain of aporetic magic could 'logically' be inimical to normal sorcery, creating an area where sorcery just won't work rather than undoing it.  This is born out by the fact that Chorae protect their holder from sorcery but must connect directly to a sorcerous object to dispel it.

Altrernately there might just be a hoard of chorae buried under Atrithau.
Retracing his bloody footprints, the Wizard limped on.