Elju for Consult Erratics

• 9 Replies

profgrape

• The Afflicted Few
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« on: November 25, 2014, 12:25:13 am »
When Sorweel is watching the Ten-Yoke Legion through Eskeles' scrying spell, he notes that a number of Nonmen Erratics "policed the column's flanks," and later observes that "scarcely a hundred of them accompanied the host."

If Erratics need elju to keep them tethered to the present, then who is filling this role for the Nonmen in the Legion?  I know that Mek's elju was a Sranc.  But I just can't believe that this is common by any stretch. 

We also know that from Scott himself that "[a] few hundred serve Golgotterath."  Which sounds like need a whole lot of elju.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 02:13:48 am »
How many Ur-Sranc were there? I imagine they would make much more useful Elju. Potentially not a 1:1 ration either.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

profgrape

• The Afflicted Few
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 02:29:03 am »
"Far more numerous..." is all we get. So more than enough for 1:1. Good idea!

Simas Polchias

• Kijneta
  • Consult Fanboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 10:15:14 pm »
If Erratics need elju to keep them tethered to the present, then who is filling this role for the Nonmen in the Legion?
A fellow Nonmen. :3

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2014, 01:19:30 am »
haha. The Intact just a closed circle of elju's eljuing for each other...

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 10:54:58 am »
When Sorweel is watching the Ten-Yoke Legion through Eskeles' scrying spell, he notes that a number of Nonmen Erratics "policed the column's flanks," and later observes that "scarcely a hundred of them accompanied the host."

If Erratics need elju to keep them tethered to the present, then who is filling this role for the Nonmen in the Legion?  I know that Mek's elju was a Sranc.  But I just can't believe that this is common by any stretch. 

We also know that from Scott himself that "[a] few hundred serve Golgotterath."  Which sounds like need a whole lot of elju.

now that you mention it, it's kind of strange that Mek is so undisturbed about his loss of elju.  elju back ups?

besides ursranc, i bet the Consult keep human slaves around Golgotterath, so maybe that.  Shauriatas as the Mangaecca fused into one is maybe the ultimate elju for all of the erratics?  that might explain how rare it is for a nonman to become an erratic and not join the Consult like Cleric. 

perhaps Shauri is the real elju and then nonmen can go on missions in the field with temporary sranc eljus who are there to do nothing more than provide whatever memory the nonman needs to fulfill the specific mission and return to the Ark?

Simas Polchias

• Kijneta
  • Consult Fanboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2014, 07:48:12 pm »
Crackpot time! With special love for procrastinators!

(sorry for ads style and far-fetching, btw
for the first - I just couln't resist playing a consult enlister
for the second - trying to tie all things together is my weakness)

1. Human conciousness is interruptable, so when they go to sleep, they actually die and cease to be. Once awoken, it's a new person rebuilt from most "important" memories and it have a day or so to collect new memories, to reassign memory importance and to die again. That's why people hate their lives and have difficulty of changing them, that's why despising someone in evening rarely survives after morning. The whole "identity" is too self-smoothed to produce something really new, changing, important! But that's exactly what makes people a perfect garden for gods to grow souls (ppl are complex enough to sin and to be punished for sinnery, but are also too weak to achieve salvation or to rebel higher beings).

2. Inverse Fire can fix that ugly flaw! Sleep begone! You conciousness will never be interrupted again, so there is no need to rebuild it. Your personal measure of "darkness that came before" will decrease, though won't be terminated entirely. Morning will not melt your evening thoughts and plans never ever again. That will make you a monster in people eyes, and will make them trivial teknes in yours. You will fight the gods and the reality itself (these are the same thing, btw). Though you lose the world, you shall win your soul.

3. Nonmen are men whose rebuilding is, let's just say, especially complicated. Inverse Fire can fix that too! Over time you will became much more... intact, dear cunoroi, because morning will not shatter your evening identity under your memory weight. Through centuries you will finally recollect yourselves, you will remember forever and you will never forget.

So, what was I sneaking up to?

A) All intacts are consult products. They are mentally "healed" by the same plot device (tekne stuff) which "broke" them at the first place. They are like Kellhus to dûnyain, something greater & something new, pure badass & dangerous.
B) The whole "erraticism" of consult nonmen is a matter of human perspective (f.e. Sorweel's), who just can't differentiate between sane nonman with evolved psyche and insane nonman with haywire psyche.
C) There is no eljus in Golgottherat or Ishterebinth for they are obsolete now. Nil'Giccas was not only the last king of the nonmen, but one of the last erratics as well. >:з
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 07:56:57 pm by Simas Polchias »

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2014, 02:42:49 am »
Not sure about the rest (some crazy stuff you've got there), but the intact being a consult construct is a good idea.

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2014, 08:37:47 pm »
SP that's awesome!  Do you think the notion of 'erratics' in human knowledge is part of a deception that Golgotterath has nurtured?

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2015, 06:36:10 am »
By the time of the First Apocalypse, even Intact Nonmen were apparently...volatile. The Norsirai had a saying "Trust only the thieves among them", which Akka explains in one of the books. Basically, the more noble and empathetic a Cunuroi is, Intact or Erratic, the more you have to beware them. You don't want a Nonman to love you, even if they are supposedly "Intact". That brings bad things.

I think in a sense, it's the reverse. All Nonmen by this time are Erratics. Some are just more Erratic than others, and the ones that kept to the Mansion are the least Erratic of all.